1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely not financial advice but it depends how you trade/overall positions you're in. Like I'll set max loss plan/target and if it's a longer position I'll scale out/back in to increase avg down rate/just lower cost overall. And if it's short term play I might exit entirely. I know everyone says you don't lose anything until you sell and while that's true... You also don't make money missing other runners or not avg'ing a position down, especially if it's sitting there tied up bleeding money.

That's also something similar I'll do exiting a winning position, like if I'm up a planned amount I exit some with profits and keep scaling out or even buy back in at a much lower avg (if I feel it has more room to grow etc).

This varies by stock and plan etc. but the most important thing is to set a max loss you're okay with. Like don't ride a stock all the way back down fully loaded as a bag holder to the 52 week lows because then you're stuck at the mercy of the stock, especially if you're not moving the position to a lower avg purchase price.

You can always re-enter a trade but sometimes if you don't make a play happen you'll become stuck. That's the main problem with trading contracts too, knowing when to cut losses/take wins is magnified.

Anyway, I personally think a lot of these stocks will look better over next week, for me lately anytime Powell speaks it typically hurts my portfolio followed by a nice return the next day/week... Unfortunately I'm not in NIO or I'd tell you my exact plan. I also got stubborn on NIO buying contracts slightly off on dates.... I Literally had $4 calls that were barely off from being huge plays... Once I miss something like that I normally don't go back.

RocketsLegend likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Cathie Wood’s flagship fund ARK Innovation (NYSEARCA:ARKK) has erased all of its 2021 gains heading into Thursday's close.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure she cares other than it may be a buying opportunity. I think she's got a long-term investment horizon (over 5 years from what I recall her saying in the past). Hope it works out for her.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

2021 has about 300 days to go. We concerned here? I had been watching the last few weeks looking for a potential buy point. Put a little money elsewhere today.

5. adoo

adoo Member

such are the vicissitudes of the stock market.

i am filing/sorting trading activities / documentation for my tax returns. in doing so, i have discovered that

for SDGR, thanks to you suggestion/idea, i previously had
    • 5 winning credit spreads, where the spreads i sold expired worthless
    • 2 winning bullish CALL spreads,
    • 4 covered CALL expired worthless.
    these winners more than offset the temporary losses realized on the LEAP CALL diagonals and 2 credit spreads, on SDGR, that i m holding

also, back in July 2020, your idea led me to win a 3.9 bagger on AMD options, while u were enjoying a 4+ bagger on yours.
    in terms of profit %, this AMD winner ranks # 2 in my investing/trading career; my best trade ever was on SE

#15665 adoo, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

like all other techs, apps is taking it on the chin; from the hi of 102, it has dropped to ~72 just above the 50 dma

saitou likes this.
  7. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

Do you catch a falling knife?

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Down 6% today so far

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

alright i'm 65% cash. painful, but taking a bigger picture view, grateful that i'm still up for 2021, without eating into 2020's gains. sticking to safer stuff with actual income till i know what is going on. live to play another day.

@saitou when it's time to go in.

#15669 saitou, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    CCity Zero and AWIN like this.
  10. AWIN

AWIN Member

Sold off most of my positions last week and able to salvage what little gains I had left. Still sitting in mostly TSLA with the rest in SQ, PLTR and GME. 40% cash and thinking of adding to GME for the lulz and action. TSLA can go to zero for all I care, it will bounce back eventually, hopefully. Hang in there boys.

CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  11. HTM

HTM Member

It's a blood bath out there

Sajan likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

13. Asian Sensation

I love Black Friday deals.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Lol, I’m now down on the year...

15. Fantasma Negro

Same. I only have one option expiring this month so I can be patient for now but if this last for another month I'm in trouble

16. adoo

adoo Member

3 huge winners have bailed me out so far
    • NFLX which i exited on the day after ERS
    • CRM and ZM, both of whom i exited b4 ERS 3wk ago,
    but for these huge winners, i'd have been down for the year

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Ideal scenario is we stay down today and then open down another 2 or 3% on Monday. That puts the nasdaq down 15%...and presents a really good opportunity to scale back in.

Sajan likes this.
  18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

it's looking overdone now. even the ultra value low p/e stuff i have getting smashed lol. not selling anymore, not buying either. wait and see if there is an uptrend next week, like a few days worth. ok to miss out on the very bottom.

edit: IMMR beat EARNINGS by 20%. On track to potentially be a single digit p/e stock this year with double digit top and bottomline growth; and still goes down 5%.

whag00 likes this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Stocks are still trading at very high multiples compared to history.

20. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Yes...but Powell made it pretty clear that with or without inflation the fed is gonna keep rates low for a while. And even with the 10 yr at 1.5 it’s still a pretty good environment for stocks including big tech.

I wouldn’t go all in but definitely would start buying again.