1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your reasons for not going vegan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Mar 4, 2021.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Do you recognize that animals are being tortured and killed on a massive scale and you avoid thinking about it because it's upsetting?

Or

Do you understand the suffering animals go through for you to eat a burger or a sandwich and you simply don't care about their pain?

Do you think that there will come a time where we have mistreated this planet and its inhabitants to such a degree that our species will pass a point of no return and future generations will have a substantially lower quality of life because of our self-serving decision-making?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Xerobull and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I like beef and those alt beef substitutes are so freaking over processed that i'd rather eat the real thing. In moderation of course.

clos4life likes this.
  3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm a Baptist atheist.

4. VanityHalfBlack

I'd go vegan but not enough vegan fast food joint near my town. I eat out most of the time. I like burgers.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is all meat sourced from inhumane methods?

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

Yeah, unless you're eating roadkill.

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

[​IMG]

Since you asked, it's not that a part of me doesn't want to give up animal proteins entirely (although a part of me admittedly doesn't), it's that I'm primarily concerned about maintaining my own health and don't know how best to go about it. So, laziness basically.

And unfortunately the vegans I come across are more interested in touting their moral superiority than they are educating people on how to make the transition. :oops:

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You post some interesting threads my friend, lol. I like meat too much (that's what she said) to go vegan.

RocketManJosh and CCity Zero like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

vegan recipes do the most, and maybe it’s just me, but I feel like a lot of the recipes I’ve seen require a lot of prep work

[​IMG]

going vegan seems kinda boring too

clos4life and Sajan like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

sorry, that’s all I can come up with at the moment

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like eating. I like eating meat.

If you make eating non-meat protein as enjoyable as eating meat, I might be able to change.

If you loved brisket or a rack of ribs but gave it up, hats off to you.

But I'm calling dibs on your share.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Meat is delicious. We need protein to survive. I don't care about an animal's feelings or your vegan feelings.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm a meat eater that likes to go out to vegan places that serve good tasting food. That's really the issue most of the time. When people think of a veggie hamburger alternative, they're thinking some black bean burger crap instead of something closer to this with a similar chewing consistency and genuinely good taste on it's own.

[​IMG]

In short, there's a lot of low effort vegan dishes out there that won't get anyone to make the plunge and at least see if the food tastes good. I used to **** on vegan dishes too until I found places that know how to make it taste good. Still love my beef and chicken and fish. I just also like some vegan dishes too.

RocketWalta and jacoby like this.
  15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Vegans confuse the violence of industrialization/consumerism with the underlying concept of animal consumption. Were the Native Americans vile for not being vegan?

NSFW/bloody violence:

Elton John approves.

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I only eat at Arby's.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So.... What about hunters that hunt invasive species, eating them and using most of the materials... is that against vegans too?

TexasTofu and donkeypunch like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

To all the dudes in here talking about how love eating meat

runamok and Sajan like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I will go vegetarian when i turn 40 be only because it's healthier and the new fake meat stuff is pretty decent now.

Impossible burgers are about 70% to actually meat when it comes to taste.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's very important to make the distinction between being a vegan and eating a plant-based diet. Most of you guys think being a vegan means not eating meat, eggs or dairy. That's only part of it.
    • Veganism is almost like religion. It's spiritual, you're doing it for a cause and there are other metaphysical aspect of it. You believe in what you're doing at a higher level.

• A person who eats Plant-Based Diet is doing it for the health benefits. The medical science is crystal clear: eating excessive meat is bad for you. Eating red meat regularly is bad for you. Eating processed meat is bad for you; It can lead to cancer and/or heart disease, which is the number one killer of Americans. Number two is cancer. You can mitigate both of these by not eating meat.
    Now that we're done with that, I will say that I was plant based for over a year for health reasons...but it was actually detrimental to my health. I didn't do it 100% correctly, because it's hard to do unless you don't mind spending an hour a day in the kitchen. I switched back to eating eggs, dairy and cage free chicken for the protein and I've lost 15 lbs since January. I have much more energy, my skin looks better, I sleep better and just feel overall better. At the end of this experiment I have to say that everyone needs a different type of diet. I just happen to need a higher protein diet than a lot of people.

I am aware of and sensitive to the horrors of meat industry. The industrialization of meat/eggs/dairy is terrible and inhumane. I'm not talking about free range livestock, because I grew up in the country and saw farm animals raised then slaughtered for meat. It wasn't torture, it was quick and painless. I'm talking about animals stuffed into tiny boxes and pumped full of hormones until they're slaughtered. The toll on our planet is also terrible and unsustainable. It's actually much more productive to farm for food than for food for livestock. I think something like 80% of farming is for food for livestock. As the population grows and gets richer and animal farming gets cheaper, we're going to need more and more land to grow food for animals. So we're going to cut down our forests and jungles, contributing to global warming, which we're all aware exists now.

I would suggest that everyone cut back on meat. You don't need it with every damn meal to live. If you can't see your dick or your feet over your gut, you need to start eating healthier. And if you look in to the terrible way we treat our livestock, you might just lose your stomach for most of meat anyway.

durvasa, Deckard, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.