1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Westerns (not the motel) of All Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Mar 2, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I loved Buck and the Preacher.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paint Your Wagon.

Lee Marvin

Clint Eastwood

In a musical

What more needs to be said? Greatest film pitch ever.

More seriously, I like Rio Bravo, though there's whole bunch of politics around it's production and High Noon (which is a pretty powerful, tense and groundbreaking movie in its own right). Dean Martin in this film is the basis for Gene Wilders' character. There is a remake called El Dorado from a decade later by the same director which is inferior. Also Walter Brennan is the greatest Western character actor ever, and he really shines in this. The only blemish is how wooden Ricky Nelson is.

I really like Destry Rides Again with Jimmy Stewart as a lawman who doesn't like guns. Referencong back to Blazing Saddles, if you see it, Madeline Kahn's character suddenly makes a whole lot more sense.

Agree about Once Upon a Time In the West. The whole harmonica thing with Charles Bronson that was so blatantly ripped off for The Quick and the Dead is one of my all time favorite movie gimmics. Just an amazing opening scene:

The only thing that bothers me about the film is the pancake makeup they used to simulate tanned skin. Tombstone had the same issue

#42 Ottomaton, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    jo mama, TimDuncanDonaut and GIGO like this.
  3. GIGO

GIGO Member

Great reviews!

4. GIGO

GIGO Member

Texas Across the River (a Dean Martin western comedy, ft. Alain Delon and stunning Tina Aumont)
    El Topo (Jodorowsky)