1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just looked you’re a whole 3 days older than me haaa. Happy early birthday.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

I had a point, but I've got a date with an ex at 10 tomorrow morning. She is really amazing. Trying to get up from my chair to find my beer.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Odd part? Only the beer is a lie.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That’s awesome. And maybe this too... lol, not sure why it took this long. Maybe J&J single shot is a major longer term financial threat

https://www.wsj.com/articles/single...-85-effective-israeli-study-shows-11613723218

In a win for global vaccination goals, BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine is shown to generate strong response with one dose and to maintain potency in standard freezers for two weeks

Pfizer and BioNTech said they have asked U.S. regulators to allow their vaccine to be stored and transported at temperatures consistent with standard freezing, around minus 20 Celsius, following successful internal stability testing. Similar filings were being prepared in other countries.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@robbie380 or anyone else who has been tracking things or knows where to find this data...

Do you know what % of Texans age 75+ have been vaccinated? 65+?

I keep seeing a 6-7% number being thrown around as the % of Texans who have been vaccinated, but I was wondering what the % is for people who are at risk due to age. (I imagine it's impossible to know the % of people who have been vaccinated that are at-risk due to other health conditions, that's why I'm only asking about age.)

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Raw # by age groups.

Workbook: COVID-19 Vaccine in Texas (Dashboard)

Essentially, everyone in 1A and 1B should be "at-risk".

robbie380 likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven’t actually looked at state data just that one CDC site. The age data does seem to be the most reliable to go by. Racial data doesn’t seem to be very reliable. I think the CDC only had race data on 52% of vaccinations versus 93% for ages. Also there is the other complicating factor of mixed race making up a large percentage of their data and Hispanics and whites often getting lumped together.

I’m curious if I can find any state vaccination data.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

With that and with estimated age demographics it looks like roughly 45% of 65+ have got 1 shot in Texas. The lag doesn’t seem surprising with the freeze slowing us down.

Amiga likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don’t get a flu shot either but covid is stupidly more contagious than the flu. We’ve basically stopped the flu with all the shutdowns, masks and distancing but covid has still managed to keep spreading like wildfire. I get your point about being exposed to it. I’m amazed I didn’t get covid sooner and I legit thought I had something with odd symptoms in the middle of 2020. That said when you get it you know it. I don’t think the asymptomatic cases are common or even a real thing.

But if you want to get covid without a vaccine then go for it.

11. Major

Major Member

Where are you seeing the 45%? Those bar graphs are weird because they look like they show a percentage of the population, but they really just show what percent is men vs women. So in the 65-79 range, 44% of the people who've gotten a dose are men (the turqoise bar) while the maroon bar is women. But they don't seem to show what % of the total population that is?

Edit: or are you finding age demographics elsewhere?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.statista.com/statistics/912205/texas-population-share-age-group/

Looks like 12.9% of the Texas population is 65+

Haymitch and Major like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Got a call from my aunt (early 60's), Methodist apparently told her to come get the shot.

She wanted my opinion seeing as she was on the fence because some of her trailer trash neighbors swore it wasn't safe, so she wasn't sure who to believe. The way a large segment of our population is moving backwards like this really pisses me off.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Theyre giving out the moderna shot at Kroger to anyone, you book online. CVS is also giving them randomly you just have to sign up

#11354 cheke64, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    tinman and Space Ghost like this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

So, it looks like some European countries are having a new spike in cases. Italy and some Eastern European countries are spiking up. France still has a large number of cases and it appears they are slowly moving up.

For those of us in the US, I really hope we can get enough people vaccinated to prevent another spike in cases. We at least have vaccinated many elderly, so the death rate should be greatly diminished.

16. Major

Major Member

It's weird that both the UK and South Africa are doing really well, given that their variants are the ones everyone is concerned about spreading like wildfire.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Vaccine resolve long haul covid. Anecdotal.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22308965/covid-vaccine-shots-symptoms-improve-chronic-long-haulers

Daniel Griffin wasn’t sure what to expect when his patients with chronic COVID-19 symptoms started getting vaccinated. There was some concern that the shots might make things worse by triggering the immune system. Luckily, the opposite seemed to be true.

I started getting texts and calls from some of my colleagues saying hey, are your patients with long COVID reporting that they’re feeling better after the vaccine?” says Griffin, an infectious diseases clinician and researcher at Columbia University. When he started talking with patients, he saw that they were. “It’s not 100 percent, but it does seem like to be around a third,” he says.

Early reports from Griffin and others hint that people with persistent symptoms may improve after getting vaccinated. Information is still limited, and the data is largely anecdotal — but if the pattern holds, it could help researchers understand more about why symptoms of COVID-19 persist in some people, and offer a path to relief.

Many of Griffin’s patients who improved had significant side effects after their first shot of either the Moderna or Pfizer / BioNTech vaccine. That’s common in people who’ve had COVID-19 before — they already have some level of antibodies, so the first shot acts more like a second booster. Then, his patients with chronic symptoms started to report that their sense of smell was improving or that they weren’t as fatigued. “For some of them it was short lived. But for a chunk, it actually persisted — they went ahead, got their second shot out, and are saying, wow, they really feel like there’s light at the end of the tunnel,” Griffin says.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good news yet still unsettling to me that people are reacting to the shots in ways the medical field did not necessarily anticipate. At this time - still planning to get vaccinated. Just saying...

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadviso...-high-efficacy-bnt162b2-mrna1273-astrazeneca/
    COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy After First Dose: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca

Apparently, the protection after one shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine is very significant. This is great news and suggests that probably by June, most Americans should have some protection against Covid. Now, I understand that the Phizer and Moderna vaccine will still be administered with two doses. But, it’s good news that protection against Covid happens even before the second dose is administered. Currently, almost 57 million Americans have received at least one dose. So, by the beginning of June I expect things should rapidly be returning to normal.

Hopefully we can avoid another spike in cases like what is happening right now in parts of Europe. The faster we can get at least one dose administered the better. Of course the new Johnson & Johnson vaccine should also greatly help to speed things up.

tinman likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

why are they saying what we already know 5months later?