1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Irv Cross

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Feb 28, 2021.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

most of y'all are too young to remember Irv, but he was an important part of my Sundays growing up. I don't know much about his playing career, other than he was an Eagle, so, the enemy.

But it's as a broadcaster i remember him. I know he broke barriers, and I'm sure there's a story there, but to me, he was "just" a guy on TV, who brought something to my understanding of the game, and helped me learn to love it.

every Sunday.

Cheers, Irv, and thank you.

FrontRunner and boomboom like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm racking my brain and really don't remember Irv... whic his kind of odd... he was still doing games through the early 90s apparently. I'm guessing he didn't do a lot of national games. In any case, RIP Irv.

3. Buck Turgidson

First full-time African American national tv analyst.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh wow. This is a blast form the past. I remember him with Brent Musberger back on NFL Today, I think. One of the OG broadcasters for the NFL back from when the NFL was big on CBS. RIP.

boomboom likes this.
  6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I got Irv confused with Randy. Too young.

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

One of those staples of football games from the 80's that bring back such good memories. Truly iconic...and deserves more recognition than he has gotten.

Thoughts to his family and friends. Rest well Irv.