1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

1st pick is between Suggs and Cade IMO.

Cade is bigger than Suggs at almost 6'8 and has similar skillset as Ben Simmons, he is just smaller, not as elite on defense but much better offensive player.

Cade has been lights out from 3 this season.

If you follow our games, you know that is a skillset highly prized AND needed for Silas system.

This draft is much deeper in talent than last season or even season before. Next draft should be even better.

And Jalen Green is very similar to Lavine in size and hops, not as good a shooter but maybe better defender. He could move up into top 3.

luckyman76, Shark44 and Trackwell like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The strange thing about Laettner is he had a VERY successful NBA career that nobody remembers. He played like 13 seasons.

His rookie year he put up 18 ppg, 9 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg and 1 bpg... though not on great efficiency. He continud to pu up 16+ ppg each of his first 5 years, with similar board numbers.

He was a role player thereafter, playing till he was 35.

But when you are in a group amongst the greatest college basketball players of all time, your NBA career is going to be overshadowed unless its MJ.... or Lebron like... which is part of the reason MJ and Kareem are the best ever all around bball players. MJ in particular had the trifecta of college, NBA and Olympics.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I guess it was because his time in the NBA was nothing special.....unlike his college runs. Those were cinderella days.

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

If I have to watch this garbage all season just for OKC to steal our pick in the lottery I'm gonna lose it.

Trackwell, rhee, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  5. JayZ750

yeah. I quickly looked up top ncaa players of all time and he was consistently in that 15-20 range... which to me is too low. Yes some above him had better numbers... but his numbers plus his tourney runs, in the modern ncaa, is a pretty insane combo. One list from a reputable source had David Robinson listed above him. And I get it. DRob put up 28 and 12 his senior year plus 4.5 blocks a game. But... for Navy....

6. JayZ750

yeah....

BUT

At this point... it’s absolutely worth the try.

i dont think this was their plan ever... I suspect their plan was to take it as it came.... but given what came ... you have to go for the tank now. It’s great in that it makes the path so obvious.

and it might just be like a 10% chance or whatever.... but damn if it happens. That’ll be super exciting!

jacoby and D-rock like this.
  7. jacoby

jacoby Member

I agree. We're already hovering at the bottom of the league and even if we do get slightly better as the season goes on this roster isn't good. The last time the Rockets were in contention for a top draft prospect was when we drafted Yao.

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayZ750

yeah. And the #1 spot is too much of An ask but who knows.

I’m very close to thinking Cade is a lock multi time all star can’t miss no question even dude. The last little bit is just the fact that it’s not in your face insane athleticism.

but he’s just so controlled, smooth, gets to his package whenever he wants, high iq, and unique size.

like he’s a 6’8 Ben Simmons with a legit good offensive game. Does the 6’8 vs 6’11 make much of a difference?? No. Maybe he doesn’t quite reach Simmons peak defensiveness but he will still likely be an A+ defender perfect for the modern NBA. Like a PG version of Tatum in a way.

basically if the Rockets lucked into Cade it could be a much quicker rebuild.

still 5% of me not completely sold though. I liked Luka better. And he’s far exceeded expectations. I liked Zion better but so far He’s at best at expectations.

and personally I like the top 5ish prospects at the moment. I’ve done little to no research on what others opinions are of the strength of this draft class so now I’m curious if I’m reading it right or not.

Trackwell likes this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Chances are good this happens.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SILVER WILL DELIVER. : )

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This game should count as 2 losses...maybe 3

D-rock likes this.
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

48% chance of that happening and that's best case scenario. better hope they won't win any meaningless games when wood comes back

D-rock, jacoby and HP3 like this.
  13. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

okc will get the pick

They have to get there new era going

Sga is already really good

Now add 2 more 2 it

And get it rolling again

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I wouldn't describe this shetfest as "worth it" ....

Lloyd Estacio and Trackwell like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

... the pick to OKC.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm thinking the same thing .... there's only one player that's really going to move the proverbial needle in this draft , may as well try to put yourself in position to get him.

The question is , what do you do with a lotto pick that isn't #1.

Who do you take at 2-3-4 ? Or do you even use the pick ? Trade it for an established player ?

5-14 really doesn't matter which pick you give to OKC , it still stings - some worse than others.

treyk3 and D-rock like this.
  18. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I kinda hope we get Mobley.

Trackwell likes this.
  19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I love the take - completely agree with Cades Assessment - And Greens.

I’m really high on Suggs due to his defensive prowess - Seems to be a winner - doesn’t seem to have any glaring weaknesses - Highest floor in this draft in my opinion

Mosses Moody is another I would love to trade up and get if possible.

A grand slam draft would be to get one of the elite top four prospects and then using some draft capital to trade up and get another lottery pick this year

D-rock likes this.