1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

I was on the right side of this one...so far at least.

I don't like Ben's game at all but a bird in a hand and all.

Nets picks have no value right now and we don't know when they will...if they will...would have rather had Simmons.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

tank wouldn’t be quite as successful tho...at this point, all I can hold onto from the Nets trade is that it allowed us to be capable of being 1 of the worst teams in the league so we could be in contention for the #1 overall pick not only this year, but next year, and maybe even the following as well

our best shot at a finding another franchise cornerstone is through the draft

3. hakeemthagreat

Simmons is not worth trading for. KPJ will fix alot of these problems

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We've been hoodwinked!! Supposedly we wanted the bigger trade exception.....to that I ask why? We've had trade exceptions the past
    few years and never used them.

I doubt we use them in this sellers market at the deadline either.

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

Nets will be elite for atleast three or four more years so don’t count on the picks to be game changing picks. This trade wa a mess

D-rock, HP3 and ksny15 like this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

We are not a good shooting team. Adding the worst shooter in the nba only makes it worse

Corrosion likes this.
  7. thekad

thekad Member

Oh yeah, we definitely want to make moves geared around fitting players into a roster that just lost by 50 at home...

D-rock, HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I very much doubt that. All 3 players that matter on that entire roster have player options after this season and one more, one way or the other, I think it's likely that at least one of them opt out and possibly even demand a trade before that. If the Nets flame out in the playoffs both seasons, I think it's likely that at least 2 of them opt out.....if they even make it that far.

I think it's more likely that the Nets are back to being trash in 3 years than it is they are still elite for 4 more seasons.

On top of that, this trade allowed the Rockets to tank, which could lead to a top 4 pick this season to go along with all of those Nets picks once they inevitably start to suck again.

It's probably smart to let this play out for a few more years before passing judgement on this trade, but the upside is there if you are willing to see it.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think Simmons would enjoy being here on this trash roster playing under Tilman anyways...team is too barren and limited to do much with him, and he’d eventually have his Harden moment and demand out

D-rock likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That makes it more obvious then since Ben Simmons is in the running for DPOY, he wasn't going to make us worse and he's still a young star and thus has tons of value.

HP3 likes this.
  11. vator

vator Contributing Member

Wasn’t there some chatter that we weren’t even going to keep Simmons and that we were trying to flip him to Sacramento for some sort of package headlined by Marvin Bagley lll? Lmao...should’ve known the front office was inept and in over their heads right then and there if that was true.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are never EVER right.

At least DD is likeable.

ROXTXIA and HP3 like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I really don’t want to believe that the FO was interested in Bagley, but they were interested in Dipo and actually offered him an extension, so I can’t give them the benefit of the doubt. Who was it that mentioned the Rockets interest in Bagley?

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ben Simmons like Russ, doesnt take 3's because he is not efficient at it.

He is efficient, in fact the BEST, at generating wide open 3's and finishing at the rim.

Simmons and Thybulle are also elite defensively and push pace, 2 areas the Rockets need help.

Simmons is also a better passer, rebounder, disruptor and rim protector than Wall.

Simmons is also 6'10. Simmons 2ould be the tallest starter on the team.

And Simmons plays B2B, unlike both Wall and Nwaba.

Simmons is also 5 years younger than Dipo and has more All Stars under his belt.

Learn basketball.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Lol we really messed this one up. Good job Stone.

D-rock likes this.
  16. hakeemthagreat

He doesn't take jumpshots at ALL, including 3's, because he can't shoot

17. riko

riko Member

This has been debated before. Harden is a tank who rarely gets injured and his game will age really well. Plus his game is all about skill not athletic ability and if one of the three leaves I doubt all of them leave at the same time. You can always build an elite team around each individual .finally I think there in it for the long haul. They want multiple rings.

#417 riko, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

I'm not here to be liked, especially by idiots that don't really know basketball. I've already predicted things that were proven right

19. hakeemthagreat

His value is fools gold. Once he has another miserable playoff performance nobody will want this dude. His athleticism is what ppl are in awe of, but being athletic doesn't make you a cornerstone player