1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Converting VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rivaldo2181, May 3, 2004.

1. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I don't know if this is the right forum or not but I need some VHS' converted to DVDs and was wondering if anyone knew of any places where I can pay to have it done or of any other easy ways to do this. Thanks.

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

There's people on ebay do this kind of service, charge around 8 dollars or so. Just go on ebay and search for vhs and dvd.

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I saw an ad in Walgreens that will do it for a whooping $25

4. lnghrn4life

lnghrn4life Member

I think Sam's will do it for like $10 im not 100% sure though

5. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

I've seen the hardware online to do this for under $200. Google is your friend.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yea...a tv capture card and a dvd burner wil take care of this in the comfort of your own home.

record the VHS tape to your hard drive...then create the dvd menus and burn it yourself.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dude, how much time and effort does it

one of these days i should do this and get Mrs Smeg off my back about my basketball video collection under the wardrobe and other places.. maybe next time i'm on holidays

do you need special software or just what comes with capture card

i presume you plug your vcr into the tv capture card????

8. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

It's going to take 100% time as your collection, meaning what it does is takes an analog video and makes it digital in real-time.

You can buy a pci card or use a external usb tv tuner/ analog to digital converter. A pci card runs about $50+, while a DVD usb capture runs $120+. Software should be included but if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

Then ofcourse you need a DVD burner, which you can get a 4x's writer for under $100.

9. FrancisFan

forgot.... the tuner will usually have a coax and/or composite (RCA / Yellow) connector to which you connect to your vcr, camcorder or whatever.... but I've seen some high-def tuners that have component (RGB) connectors that run for under $500.

Personally I have a Haupague Tuner..the software that it came with was pretty crappy...but the tuner is pretty much compatible with most programs and costed less than $50.

I downloaded some pretty cool trial software, Beyond TV3 , that allows your computer to be a personal video recorder (pvr). There you can also buy the software with a pci/usb tuner for reasonable prices.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Smeg, you know Ill walk ya thru it...the only sticky point will be setting up the filters to ensure good quality from the tapes.

we can do that via email....or in chat or something.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yeah no problems and no rush.... will let you know when i have the time

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I'm planning on buying a tv tuner for college so I can use my computer as a TV. Saw some usb one on ebay that have higher resolution, but those goes around 80 to 100 bucks, is it worth it?

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

man I got mine for like $50 and its awesome..I bought it because it got huge raves from people. It's not USB, its a PCI card and works well

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-122-132&depa=0

14. FrancisFan

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

for that much you should be able to get a PCI card tv tuner that is a generation or two old....still will work for what you want...and doesnt cost a arm and a leg.

PCI over USB any day of the week...and Firewire if you can get it...but it would cost ya.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

the hp dvd movie writer products were designed with vhs to dvd conversion in mind.

17. dc sports

dc sports Member

If you are severely space limited, I suppose this would be OK. But you can go to Sam's and buy a 19 inch TV for that same $100, or a 27 inch for $180, why would you? Bigger screen, better TV picture, and you can use the computer while you watch TV.

Even if you are space limited, there's always room for a TV in a dorm room.

18. Rivaldo2181

I appreciate everyones response. I need to know a company or store I can go to in Houston or the surrounding area to do this soon for a good price. Can anyone help?

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

20. Rivaldo2181

thanks, that's too damm expensive.