1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dodged a frickin BULLETT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Feb 28, 2021.

1. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

good point...maybe if we include house?

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Riles gotta believe someone will trade for him AND BE ABLE TO KEEP HIM! Then Heat gets going to giving.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Riley is not giving up Herro for declining Dipo and the right to pay him moving forward

Dipo is not a difference maker

luckyman76, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

You can't turn down what was never offered. Dipo is here as a result of the Harden trade. Nothing more nothing less. Stone is still digging out from the whole Morey and Harden created. No doubt he will prevail.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not for the Heat.

But maybe for 76ers, Raptors or Celtics.

Dipo would be very nice 3rd or 4th guy.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, he was never going to accept that. I don’t like him at all, but I don’t mind them throwing a short term offer like that either. It basically confirms that he will either be traded or allowed to walk after the season, either one of which is fine assuming they spend that money somewhere else (which I doubt!) What’s not fine would be offering him anywhere near the max, or anything that’s long term for that matter. He’s not someone you mortgage your future on.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you want to be the team that lets Oladipo go, not the team that signs him to a max contract.
    --Morley

8. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Is there a chance the Rockets offered this knowing he wouldn’t accept? Then leaked it as a way to try and up his trade value? They will now tell teams “See!! We really like him. We offered him the max extension available. We aren’t just going to give him away”.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Really not loving this explanation.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not per Clutch and Salman Ali.

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sounds like they had a number for him, offered it, likely knew he would turn it down.

A 2 year extension if he had accepted it wouldn't have really hurt the team, their window isn't now or in those 2 years.

12. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Isn’t he still inside the time frame from the initial trade, in which he can be moved and packaged with another player? Maybe Stone is just getting everything set up for the next trade.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I also think Dipo isn't that bad, I think our PG is making people look worse than they are. That's just me though...

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

If that 2 years isn't important then Wood is a throwaway too.

Nook likes this.
  15. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

It’s gonna be hilarious when teams are only offering 2 years $42!

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure about Philly...doesn’t seem like a Morey move, especially with him wanting so much money

If a 3rd or 4th guy is declining 25 mil/yr extension from 2 different franchises, then it’s not a good sign. Dipo is like a 15 mil/yr player wanting twice that.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He will get and offer in this weak FA class.

jdiggidy and Nook like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What I mean by that is we aren't courting any big FA in these next two years and if we hope to do so then we have to remain competivie. Dipo is a two way player, a 2 year deal isn't really going to hurt the team, after next season he'd immediately become an expiring and the next FA classes aren't a big deal.

So I guess I understand the move in that sense, it's not going to hurt to have him on the team next season. Forget the 2nd year because he becomes an expiring then and those are not hard to dump.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

seems like it would decrease his trade value

If Dipo is turning down 25 mil/yr from both Indy and Houston, then that means a team will have to want to offer a clearly declining, injury prone, impending free agent 30 mil/yr or more for him to accept and stay? Does that sound valuable?

since he declined the extension, teams know that the Rockets will have to trade him for whatever they can get or lose him for nothing

tc0330, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"THAT'S WHAT THE ROCKETS NEED . . . THE BACKUP BALL." --Worrell

HP3 and Nook like this.