1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is no choice now but to Tank with a 10 game losing streak.

But there was a window of opportunity for a brief period of competing and improving, forging a new identity but that has closed completely shut now.

BHannes2BHonest, ArtV, saleem and 3 others like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In my opinion, we need to be gunning for top 5 picks in the next 5 drafts, and of those 5, atleast 2 foundational pieces, as well as 1-2 really good complimentary players, but not necessarily foundations. 1-2 will certainly bust.

Five years from now, just before those foundational pieces hit their max extensions, we need to use cap space to load up on quality role players, then once all that is locked in, use the Nets picks as trade assets to really cement the team.

This is how I envision us getting back to relevance.

luckyman76, BHannes2BHonest and HP3 like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i sure brehs know i have been very vocal against tanking. i don't even like tanks.

we can still make the 8th seed.
    #believe

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That 26% chance for the 6th pick gives me the creeps, we really need a huge break in the draft lottery. o_O

5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Spurs were able to old school tank to get Duncan, but Parker was drafted 28th, Ginobli 57th

Draymond Green was drafted 35, Thompson 11, Curry 7.

The only good example is the Thunder, but 2 of the 3 left soon after making the finals.

We might as well try to keep our pick this year but let’s be realistic and admit tanking is an ineffective strategy for a franchise more times than not. Particularly given the new anti-tanking measures.

JD88, BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Go run the Tankathon sim a few times.

I don't think there would be anything more painful as a Rocket fan than sending the 5-6-7 pick to OKC and getting left with 17 from Miami. You tanked and have nothing to show for it.

Yeah , we'd all love a top 4 pick and I'm pretty much on the pro tank side now but I'm looking at both potential outcomes.

Does Evan Mobley or Jalen Suggs move the needle ?

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I pretty much agree with this .... that injury to Wood and the subsequent losing streak sealed the teams fate.

8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is what I am expecting...actual something like ending up with the 21st and 22nd picks is very possible.

Hopefully we’ll strike gold again like the night we landed Yao and I’ll be as joyful as the rest, but I don’t think anyone should be patting themselves on the back for prematurely calling for a tank. Let’s see how the lottery plays out first.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have always been an anti tanker, but there is absolutely no doubt that we need to get the 4th pick in the upcoming draft at the very least. @ApacheWarrior @Nook @D-rock

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I was solidly with you. Here’s the unfortunate truth. Whether it’s pick 12 or pick 5 it will hurt to swap. The protections should have been better. Miami is going to be very good and probably a pick in the 20s. The real prize is Cade and he won’t be available at 5,12 or 22. May as well go for pick 1 and hope for the best. The team has lost 10 in a row. Nothing good will come out of this season with a swap anyways. Hopefully Stone can get some interesting young pieces with PJ, Oladipo, House, Ben and Eric.

#1290 treyk3, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Unfortunately the circumstances dictate such.

If the Rockets didn't have so many expiring contracts, people could guarantee me if the L.A. market or NY market or Miami didn't call
    Nwaba/Sterling Brown/Cousins/Tucker/Oladipo/McLemore that they wouldn't leave....that's about half the roster (6 players), then we may be talking a different story.

If the Harden-Westbrook drama hadn't been dragged through the media and witnessed by the whole world to see;; every soon to be free agent thinking our owner/management are a bunch of cheap bozo's that have no idea what they are doing...... thus scaring away a majority of the free agents available in the next two seasons (hoping they have a short memory).

If Wall was truly healthy and Wood not so frail. We spoke before free agency about Harry Giles and Nerlens
    Noel. I'm sure I mentioned C Wood as well as being in the same, "oft injured category." Probably not a good
    idea to put the weight of the franchise completely on their shoulders.

Unfortunately, it all takes us to the pathway of the tanking draft, at least for only one draft hopefully.. Otherwise we may be doomed to be, between good and bad basketball limbo stuck at 9th seed in the West drafting around number 14.......doomed tog getting players like Jeremy Lamb and Royce White. Don't get me wrong, top ten picks fail as well, Kevin Martin and Kyle Lowry and Kuzma and Mitch Robinson were all drafted late in the first round.....just so happens to be that franchise changing players coming to your team, have much better odds coming from those players in the top 10.

And I wish for this franchise to turnaround sooner rather than later.

#1291 ApacheWarrior, Feb 28, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest, saleem and sydmill like this.
  12. saleem

I think OKC will beat us to the post. A 20th pick is unlikely to yield us a very good player. A younger Sam Cassell would be very helpful. I hope we don't end up with the next Sam Dekker.

Corrosion and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Current lottery odds (with the league’s 3rd worst record): 1st: 14.0% 2nd: 13.4% 3rd: 12.7% 4th: 12.0% 5th: 14.8%* 6th: 26.0%* 7th: 7.0%* *lose pick, drop to MIA’s

yikes!

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yikes? It’s the same odds for top 3 worst records

...it is what it is

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

What if exum comes back healthy and plays well?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thank you.

DD

groovemachine likes this.
  17. saleem

He isn't a difference maker. Making the playoffs as the 8th seed isn't going to be helpful.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes sir.

1) Half the team is using us (Rockets) as a springboard to better things.
    2) as much as Harden-Westbrook are disliked.....still liked by fellow NBA players. Like a fraternity.
    3) people think because Wood came to us cheap, others will come via FA. Harden recruited Wood....and Cousins too for that matter.
    4) poll NBA players: which owner/management do you least want to play for? Right now Houston is top 3.
    5) Rockets need to groom a star rookie or multiple rookies to encourage Wood to stay. Tanking this year; but he needs to see potential stars around him. Two years remaining on contract after this season. Short window to see returns.

With no impressive FA's wanting to come to Houston, half the team leaving, piss poor management, what other choice do we have but to try
    to stay in the top 4 protected range. Let the ping pongs fall where they may.

LeBron never gave us the time of day in free agency......Durant never gave us the time of day during his free agency; courtesy meeting for his
    dear friend Harden? Nope. But in Brooklyn, I want to play with you Harden!! Those were days when Houston was good.....now?!?

Lakers struggled without free agents wanting to go there until LeBron went there.
    Knicks have sucked for years thinking they would easily attract free agents, nope.
    ......and those are the two Mecca's of free agent destinations........what should Houston think?

I don't see another option........other than Wood leaves and it's not tanking. Just a truly terrible team.

#1298 ApacheWarrior, Feb 28, 2021
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Okc has been blatantly tanking. Nba should punish them.

Minnesota just had the 1st round pick.

These 2 teams are our biggest threat.

saleem likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member