1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin as a Santa Cruz Warrior on a Teacher Salary

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's not willing to cooperate. Why? He faces no backlash

tinman likes this.
  2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that. I may not agree with the way he has handled some things, but I think overall he has been good for the Asian-American community and gives back to the community in many ways...and because of that, I will disagree with you about his character.

3. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

I think you’ve made some very valid points the only concern I have is what happens when the alleged offender turns out to be black? We can’t go confusing our narrative here. Also, it’s important for people to understand the coronavirus originated in Wuhan China and he is an American of Taiwanese ancestry-no where near Wuhan so it’s totally stupid. It is valid to hold the Chinese government accountable though but not the people who are generally victims themselves

yoeddy likes this.
  4. yoeddy

Right. As an Asian-American, one of the ways my life experience impacts how I see this is the consequences Lin would face if he named the name of a black player. Asian-Americans and Black-Americans have a very tricky relationship history...and Lin naming the name of a Black player could turn him into a pariah in the league.

5. Nook

Nook Member

This is really turning into a non basketball thread.

As for racism against Asian Americans. There is racism against Asian Americans, it is in some ways different than racism against other groups but it is still racism and it has widely been acceptable because of a wide variety of reasons.

Asian Americans were put in camps 75 years ago in America. Asian gangs were allowed to control and harm large sections of Asian American areas. There has been a very small representation of Asian Americans in American culture and then it has been stereotypical. When Asian Americans are depicted in media it is usually only in a situation where it is Asian American centric. In other words it is a show or movie only about Asians. We have very little media where Asian Americans are depicted as a member of a group that includes non Asian Americans.

To this day stereotypes persist that Asian men are not manly or attractive or have small penises. Asian women are portrayed as submissive or interested in a white or black mate.

Jeremy Lin has certainly faced racism and assumptions based on how he looks.

Democrats are usually the party that will reach out to marginalized groups but the Biden administration is making a large mistake not giving Asian Americans a larger voice.

Contrary to what some seem to believe, the vast majority of Asian Americans are proud to be American but just want to be treated better.

Before someone asks, I have lived quite a bit outside of the USA and it is worse in my observation to be Asian in Western or Eastern Europe. However that is not an excuse for treatment in the USA.

I have been critical of Jeremy Lin in the past. I do not believe he has the personality needed to be an elite player. I do believe he has the physical ability to be one though.

Lin has been a good citizen, is by all accounts a good person. I do believe he was called Coronavirus on the court. I also agree with his decision to not say who said it. The person that said it should not have his career destroyed but should be educated and we as a society need to be aware.

Little Bit, JumpMan and yoeddy like this.
  6. yoeddy

Excellent post. I agree with you 100%. And apologies for taking this thread down a non-basketball path. Happy to return to basketball...

7. King1

I typically agree with you but that's our current society. They cancel people for racism. Unless you're going to take a united stand then the people who called him that deserve their fate.

8. King1

I think racists need to be called out otherwise his statement accomplished nothing but painting him as a victim

9. yoeddy

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

10. King1

That's fair

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No calling out who said it opens the option that he’s lying to draw attention to himself

Racism is a serious issue that the nba doesn’t want their players to be accused of

King1 likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

No you’re right
    You can’t tell a Lin fan that is capable of lying like any human being because to them Lin is Superman

Lin could say he has 4 balls and they won’t question it and just salivate when praising him

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Yes
    So Lin should tell the league who said it

King1 likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

It’s never been a basketball thread with Jeremy Lin
    Cause he sucks at basketball

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Was it a member of his own team?
    Was it a member of another team?
    Did this happen late at night when he was walking to subway ?
    @Os Trigonum @Zboy

16. jayland

jayland Member

It's possible Lin thinks he might be seen as the bad guy by some too if he snitches and ruins the career of g-leaguers barely making any money and are also likely African American. Especially considering Lin is already a multi-millionaire. There's the dynamic that Asian Americans are generally the most successful minority in the US while African Americans have been treated the worse.

Or maybe Lin doesn't really think it is that big of a deal but mentioned it just for attention or sympathy. Some crazy trash goes on during games. Kevin Garrett use to say stuff about sleeping with other player's wife or mother but you don't see anyone crying to the camera about it.

But there is a chance Lin is lying or greatly exaggerated what happened too. A lot of people racist against Asians due to the virus calls it the China virus like Trump instead of the coronavirus.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

At least Jessie Smollet
    Described the scene that he was walking to subway at 3am in sub zero weather and then got jumped by dudes wearing red hats and the showed they put something on his neck and he had a bruise on his face

18. tinman

Supporting Member

All of the games in the G league are recorded. And there are no fans. Should be extremely easy to investigate if this was an in game incident.

also good evidence would be shock or emotion on Lin’s face when someone says it to him in a game
    @King1

forget that the LOF yoeddy is here and think about this yourself rationally

Racism is in the workplace is a serious accusation
    You can’t accuse someone of it and then say I’m not going to say who it is

King1 likes this.
  19. jayland

jayland Member

It could be a completely different thing if it was just trash talk during a game compared to if someone walked up to him outside a game and called him that to his face. Athletes says tons of highly offensive things to each other as part of trash talk. Most just brush it off when the games end.

Both are wrong but saying offensive things to get into your opponent's head is different then saying it to them solely out of hatred.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Houston doesn’t really have bad racial issues as the other cities because of how integrated the communities are. At least in Houston, people in Houston now realize that Chinatown is the safest place in the city and it’s open all the time.

King1 and VanityHalfBlack like this.