1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

5X all star, and he had elite speed until his injuries.

One downside of being a rebuilding franchise is you have to pay the all stars you draft market value or you become a de facto minor league feeder system for the teams paying luxury tax.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Whole team played well.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Vipers swapped a player.

Anyone have 911 on Hernandez?

Hope he's a 7 footer.

groovemachine likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I hope (and pray) we can trade this man Wall at the deadline. I worry he's going to get in the way when KPJ is on the team after the all-star break.

I know it's unlikely, I don't need anyone coming in here saying "No one wants him and that contract" I know, but let me hope some team in the East gets desperate and feel it's a move they have to make.

kevtse, Mr Woods, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

This for me is a tough one. From a cutting into his playing time, I agree Wall is a roadblock. From a veteran leadership perspective, if Tucker, Dipo maybe EGO are all traded at some point you need some veterans here. I also am not keen on just giving him the keys to franchise at this point knowing his background and struggles with maturity. Let’s let him learn to be Robin and be ok with being Robin, before we anoint him Batman and all of the pressure that comes with being the face of the franchise.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I disagree. In truth, a good Batman would be a horrible Robin. There's no reason an alpha should succeed at being a beta. There's no reason a promising alpha would react well to being the Robin to John Wall of all people.

If KPJ has it, let's not play games like some high school principles. Let's give him the ball like we did Harden, Yao, Hakeem and see what he does well and take it from there. He could land anywhere between Steve Francis and James Harden, but there's no point waiting to find out.

Obviously can be done in phases, but I say give him the keys to the Rockets 2nd unit asap. Plus getting called up means more time with Lucas.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

that euro is filthy. that pass was almost lost in the frames per second it was so fast. SMH.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

that euro was impressive, so much going on. live dribble, held off the defender with his backside while setting up the euro on the defender in front of him, and then the finish. all of that, in the most slowest, controlled, quickness lol.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

We’ll have to agree to disagree. There’s a reason he’s in the GLeague right now and not with this team. If he didn’t struggle with the known issues, I may could get behind your approach. I don’t feel handing him the keys does anything for him. I would argue that it would possibly set him back.

Sometime opportunity is the key while other time’s patience and timing are key. He’s only 20. We need to take our time, bring him along steadily while potentially (if he is the guy) finding supporting talent to place around him.

#1071 CVcrew, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The Rockets are unwatchable for me, which is saying a lot for me personally. I'm truly enjoying the Vipers--KPJ is amazing, but there are other players that are entertaining as well. Coach is just ok, but team is fun and a peek into the future (I hope).

#1072 Shark44, Feb 27, 2021
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this is a wise approach. KPJ should get time at both the 1/2 for the rest of the season. Wall may be a little bit of a hinderance, but that's a little adversity that KPJ can grow from as well. I'm hoping Wall helps him grow and sees him for what he can become.

I don't believe Wall is tradeable this year, but maybe next year at the deadline if he stays healthy and continues to produce.

KPJ has given me hope for the future and that's a double-edged sword.

groovemachine and CVcrew like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood is on same wavelength as most of CF.

FREE THIS MAN!

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

We can dream.

https://tradenba.com/trades/D-qtaMDST

BOS: John Wall
    ORL: Kemba Walker, Ben McLemore
    HOU: Aaron Gordon, Evan Fournier

#1075 D-rock, Feb 27, 2021
    JayGoogle likes this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Gotta remember how young Porter is. As tempting as it is to rush him, he NEEDS time to mature. He has hall of fame talent, but could just as easily be dead by 25. When they bring him up, John Lucas needs to be sewn into his skin so they can be together all the time.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree in principle, I really do...

But in this specific situation? Trade them all. if you have a chance to. I also do not think Wall is a 'good' vet, there is some toxicity there, some selfishness there. I don't know. I'd honestly rather trade them all, let the young guys run the team for the 2nd half (it's a short 2nd half) and lets see waht Silas can do without vets questioning his coaching and tactics. Let him get a handle of the team.

then in the off season we can add a vet or two that more fits into what we are doing.

Right now the vets we have don't fit into what we are even doing.

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Can we get the RGV Vipers to throw on Rockets jerseys so we can watch them instead...?

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

Wall is the ONLY brightspot this year. He's been a leader & outperformed expectations. He'll be a fantastic mentor for KPJ, given the mistakes he made and adversity he's had to overcome

groovemachine likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance