1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ballpark Place Tower project revived.......

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, May 4, 2004.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

Didn’t see this posted here but I thought all the Astros fans in da house would find this interesting........

According to sources at sportsbusinessnews.com, the once shelved project Ballpark Place, a planned 35 story office and residential tower that was to be constructed across Crawford Street from the left field wall, is now back on the table with ground being broken possibly as soon as around the All Star Game.

However, the project has been significantly redesigned. Gone is all of the commercial office space after a decline for office space in downtown.

Ballpark Place will now be an all totally residential, 29-Story Tower with 331 Luxury Loft apartments on 23 levels, offering residents incredible views of Minute Maid Park and the action on the field, just like at Wrigley. Residences will range in size from 750 SF to 1,640 SF and feature a soft loft interior of exposed ductwork, wood and concrete floors. Amenities include a 6 level parking structure for residents, a terrace level clubhouse with pool and spa, and over 16,900 square feet of street level retail and restaurant/bar space that appeals to urban residents and baseball fans alike.

Here are the latest new visions of the now "all-residential" Ballpark Place..........

[​IMG]

View from right field/first base line.......

[​IMG]

View of main entrance from Union Station entrance.......

[​IMG]

View from center field entrance......

[​IMG]

2. deepellumrocket

It's a nice looking building and all, but I wish they wouldn't put it right there and block such a large chunk of the view of downtown.

:mad:

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For what its worth... it doesn't exactly block any of the downtown views (see last picture), since the big skycrapers are kinda far from MMP anyways...

But it does create a weird depth perception issue... almost to the point that this tower looks like its part of the ballpark itself.

And, i see them having trouble selling all the units.

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I think that tower really destroys the view. Maybe if it was a little smaller it would be okay.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Looks like a nice building, but it appears so strange sitting there that boldy. I mean, it does block the view, and the depth perception look strange.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm not rich enough to live there; therefor I do declare myseff agin't it.

8. ths balla

ths balla Member

what happens when they close the roof?

9. ths balla

ths balla Member

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

Actually DER, Ballpark Place wouldnt block any of Downtown's view at all. Below in Miguel's pic, the BP Tower would begin to come into until right where the train's cole stack of oranges. The Parking lot you see in this show actually belongs to the Milam Building block next door to the BP Tower site. The BP Tower site itself isnt even in view in this pic, thus the downtown view wont be blocked at all........

If anything, BP Tower will only add to the cluster of high rises in view from the ballpark.

[​IMG]

As for the view from home plate.......since most of the downtown buildings are offset behind the ballpark's third base side, there really is no view at all of downtown from home plate, except for the Civil Justice Center under construction. But BP Tower will dramatically change all of that without blocking the Civil Justice Center and its beautifull dome, once finished. If anything, BP Tower will only make the downtown view from MMP better from all sides, no matter where you sit........

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

The building disappears.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

The residents will get a good view of the mold on the roof (when it comes back). ;)

I know it doesn't necessarily block the view of the skyscrapers, but its a lil too dominant IMO.

They should turn it into two shorter buildings. That way, more roof top seats.

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

how much would it cost to live in a place like that?

14. PhiSlammaJamma

If they all opened their windows would it create some kind of super wind tunnel for the home team?

If the president ever threw out the first pitch you'd have a severe security hazard.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They'd have to close the roof just for the president's pitch.

In fact, if they make it two smaller structures (at the level of that canopy that is there now), tennants would be able to see the game even when the roof was closed.

Not to mention, they'd save money on construction costs by not having to use the gigantic crane... but, of course, they'd lose money by having to buy more land.

Regardless... I wish they'd try the St. Louis approach, where they're building several smaller sized buildings, with entertainment/residential/shopping purposes... there's certainly room to develop that east side of downtown.

16. tigereye

tigereye Member

That would be good approach but look at the situations.......there vastly different......

In St Louis, the land where those smaller buildings are going to be constructed on is already provided for them as it is where Busch Stadium currently sits. Thus, once Busch is demolished, they will have the land space necessary for this type of spread out developement. Another thing to consider is that the Cardinals and the city of St Louis are backing the developement project.

In Houston, the Astros have absolutely nothing to do with Ballpark Place. This project is completely private, being developed by Trammel Crow, who owns the one block plot adjacent to left field. Totally different situation from St Louis.........

Could two seperate buildings housing lofts fit on that one block site Trammel Crow owns? Probably not, there's just not enough room on that site.

But if Trammel Crow had also owned the block directly on the left of it facing center field, then two shorter buildings might have been built instead on one 29-story Tower. But with Trammel Crow only owning one block, they really had no choice but to build what they could fit on that site to make there development successfull.

More then likely, the owner of the center field block will also build a high rise inthe future as well being that it will offer a view of the field as well.

These pics below should show you just how vastly different the situations are.

St Louis with tons of land (six blocks) for future developement, once Busch Stadium is demolished.........

[​IMG]

Trammel Crow only owns one block for developement.......

[​IMG]

As for Ballpark Place being too dominant in the skyline view.......

To me Ballpark Place would actually fit right in because most of the existing downtown skyscrapers are pretty dominant structures anyways......

17. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Umm, the roof is only open for short periods of the game.

I guess that's not the biggest issue, but that massive building WILL block a lot of light and create shadows (depending on the time of day I guess). Looks too bulky; yup, I agree smaller buildings, slightly taller than Union Station would look ideal along the road.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Great post... I am familiar with the St. Louis situation, and how the city and the team is involved in that development deal (in fact, that's the ONLY reason that stadium got approved).

This last picture you posted, however, distrubs me... see how much empty space is in that lot (some of which is now taken up by Vic and Anthony's).

There seems to be no development so far past the point where ballpark place is going to be built... and we're now in the 4th year since the ballpark was opened, and the 6th year since they started construction at that area.

I know all those lots have been owned for quite awhile... but its just discouraging how long its taken for some of these ballpark side buisinesses to get built.

I'm still holding out hope, however... the BUS, ballpark inn, and hope plate bar and grill have all done quite well due to the ballpark.

#18 Nick, May 4, 2004
    Last edited: May 4, 2004
  19. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Just something else to make the "juicebox" more ridiculous than it already is.

20. deepellumrocket

Yeah, but they're not directly across the street from the Ballpark.

Do you really think this thing will make the view nicer? It sticks out like a sore thumb. It's very severe and in-your-face.

You seem to know a lot about it. Are you in some way connected to its development? Not being accusatory, just curious.