1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

I think we are in the worst case scenario for how the FO thought the season would go post Harden trade. Miami jumped to 18th spot with the win tonight. As much I am pro bottoming out and believe the OKC swap is a sunk cost going forward, it still isn't the best season to be this bad. Pretty sure the FO was hoping we'd end up somewhere outside of the top ten after trading the expiring vets. This is the exact losing streak and record we should be having next season but we are a bit early. May the odds be in our favor this year.

JayGoogle and Trackwell like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Next season? What do you think is to be gained with a 28 win season vs a 19 win one (other than 9 wins).

We're hitting the bottom one way or another. Might as well maximize the rebound chance even if we don't get the bounce.

sydmill, Trackwell and HP3 like this.
  3. SamFisher

If the Rockets lose all year there's a 50-50 shot of coming up empty.

If the Rockets lose a slim majority of the year, theres an 80-20 shot of coming up empty.

Trackwell and HP3 like this.
  4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

The truth is going to scare people. If the rockets get everyone healthy they will not be tanking. There is no such thing in tanking. These teams are paid to compete. The rockets are having serious injuries woes right now. Once everyone comes back this team will be winning. I see something of the lines of 30-42 record for the 10th-14th pick.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

what would suck more than anything i could really count on to suck would be if OKC jumps up to the 4th pick and pushes out of the top 4 getting the 4th and 5th pick lol

so much hinges on getting that pick. if you do and tank again next year you have 2 top 5 picks. KPJ/Tate/Wood tons of cap space and future assets. I hope it works out.

sydmill and HP3 like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Because this season we could lose a high pick while getting less in return for expiring vets. When you hit bottom out matters, but it is largely out of our control. I think the FO would prefer to being sucking less at this point in the season.

7. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Man. This thread has aged like fine wine so far.

It really is top 4 pick or bust.

Trackwell likes this.
  8. SamFisher

We can't lose a pick The pick was traded nearly 2 seasons ago.

There is nothing that can be done this season to make that not happen. It happened.

The only thing that can be done to avoid is to invoke the protection.

It doesn't matter if okc picks 5 or 15. That has no impact on the Rockets. I know emotionally it seems like it does - but practically it does not.

Rockets are a bottom feeder team that chose to put all of its eggs in the draft. Maybe not by management choice but that's where they are.

That means lose.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

10. dmoneybangbang

That's fair, but you are dismissing the fact that sucking this much before the deadline lowers the value of our expiring vets.

TheRealist137 and JayGoogle like this.
  11. SamFisher

Lol hahaha. These guys haven't won in a month. Christian Wood is not plus 20 wins

Nook and HP3 like this.
  12. SamFisher

Also the fact they are a bunch of washed up guys on the downside who were carried by harden for a few years.

Nook and Trackwell like this.
  13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the good news is we have had the easiest schedule so far and have a very tough second half schedule. may that carry us to better days.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

lol imagine the Texans getting sht on last season and they don't even get that sorta odds. got no first or second round for tanking, sad.

Nook likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

538 is now projecting us to finish with the 4th worst record in the NBA at 26-46

groovemachine likes this.
  16. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Hmmmmmm....

Ben Frank likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not good news. I was hoping Miami would throw in the towel if they lost just a bit more but they've been getting back on track.

Best case scenario would be for the Heat to move up to like 10th so that at the worst we'd get like a 10th or 11th pick but the Heat are getting hot now.

Not many guys are plus 20 wins but no way this team goes 0-10 with Wood playing, maybe like 4-6 or something, and that will make it so we just have less of a chance. I expect the team to play a lot better post-break. Healthier, some of these guys might be moved...

Like people are expecting us to get worse moving PJ, Dipo, Ego? I'm actually expecting us to play better getting rid of these guys.

18. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

10 losses in a row will help

19. OkayAyeReloaded

Trackwell likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Deuce and Nook like this.