1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Judge Hidalgo and Mayor Turner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 26, 2021.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have tried several times this past year to get a response by email from Mayor Turner and Judge Hidalgo to no avail. My latest letter has been sent 3 times with no response.

I expected this from Paxton, Cruz, and Abbott, as they never responded either to numerous emails, but I was hoping Mayor Turner and Judge Hidalgo were more in tune with the people of this city, and were reachable.

These elected officials frustrate me, and I doubt any of them get my vote in the future, regardless of party. Has anyone else tried emailing any of these officials and actually gotten a response?

My biggest complaint right now is the vaccine rollout, and the areas they make practically impossible to get a vaccine.

Why have no Covid vaccine sites been set up on my side of town? None. No drive through or mass set ups in our area at all. We pay the same taxes as everyone else. I live near the beltway in the South Belt area near Sagemont and Pearland. Thousands of people and 13 schools within 3 miles of our home but no Covid distribution sites to serve the elderly here.

This area has 13 schools within a 3 mile distance of my home, yet we can't get a mass distribution for the elderly in our community. Why? Why can't they set up the Community Center to vaccinate all those 80 and over in our community in one day? They are the highest risk. It makes no sense. It's sad that others much younger got shots first, just because they got lucky. Why should the elderly have to drive across town and wait in line an hour, and why are young healthy people like Judge Hidalgo and other government workers vaccinated first?

It's frustrating. It shouldn't have to be like this.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did you try the clear lake area? I hope you get your vaccine soon.

Andre0087 and deb4rockets like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

OP did you not see this:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/h...exas/285-a362e57c-2fc4-4200-823f-74f6b80afc9c

The Vaccine rollout here in Texas isn't just a Houston area issue too. We live in DFW, and my wife is a teacher with a major pre-existing condition that makes her vulnerable, and she can't even get an appointment. However I had alot of friends down in Houston that got vaccines early because of their connection to the med center.

Reg Turner, the biggest complaint I've seen is from HPD and Houston Fire/EMT folks who felt like he "owed" them after they felt like their unions support of him didn't get them the benefits they wanted, and they've had issues with longer hours etc. I mean I get it, we need to take care of Houston's finest, but I don't know how much Turner can really do for them without support at the state level.

Reg Hidalgo, biggest complaint I heard was early on in the Pandemic where all my Republican friends in Houston were complaining about fear mongering reg Covid when cases were low. She led the charge to construct a pop up hospital that later had to be taken down. I always said that it's better to be safe than sorry, and of all the things to waste money on, Covid response is one that Im okay with.

On your letters not being responded to, I would say that it's not uncommon. It's actually pretty rare when elected officials do respond directly to individuals who call, email, or send a letter. Not saying it's right, but the norms with US officials is having people answer their calls, emails, social media messages, etc. looking for trends, and public sentiment on issues. That's why I do believe your letters are likely getting through, but not in the way you might see right away. If your sentiment on issues aligns with more and more people, you absolutely should see a response, and someone like Turner will have something included in a media interview or something as a way or reaching back out on an issue.

Best thing you can do is use social media, etc. and urge everyone you know to contact their direct phone number, or send an email, or a letter to X address on THIS ISSUE (whatever issue it is you are concerned about). If Turner or Hidalgo's aides get an influx on that issue, you are likely to get their attention, and potentially a response via media, press release, or social media release.

#3 dobro1229, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    jiggyfly and deb4rockets like this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's not me I'm as concerned about. I am under 65. It's my 83 year old mother who can't get a vaccine anywhere near her home.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You should send them a tweet.

Nook, Andre0087 and J.R. like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually not a bad idea. However I would coordinate with about 5 of your friends and family to send a Tweet response all at the same time. If there's a spike in them getting tagged on one particular issue, it's pretty like that an aide will take note. If you can get them trending in any way, you'll definitely get them to respond within hours.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just received an email from a lady at the Covid response Center wanting a contact number regarding my email, so I guess my emails were finally read.

jiggyfly, mikol13 and pgabriel like this.
  8. KingCheetah

I let them know you were trying to reach the covid team.

TWS1986, Nook and J.R. like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Glad your efforts are being rewarded (hopefully your parents get their shots). Its not just in Houston... here in Montgomery County my wife's parents are almost 90 and were having difficulty getting their shots. Finally my wife started searching local sites and tried to get appointments set. Finally a friend who is a nurse at a local hospital got them appointments today at a Walgreens in Tomball.

My oldest daughter (had open heart surgery when she was five days old) hasn't been able to get a shot in Houston and she works for the state. Seems she would be able to get the vaccine because of her heart but she was told it wasn't considered a factor. My wife and I are a few years under 65 so we are patiently waiting.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The local approach has been such a mess here in Texas.

Gridlock hampers COVID-19 vaccination effort in The Woodlands
    https://www.yourconroenews.com/neig...s-COVID-19-vaccination-effort-in-15980213.php

King1 likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to get in touch with Stephen Silas with some lineup suggestions. can you help?

J.R. likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

Sure, what are you thinking?

ThatBoyNick and J.R. like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

all Mason Jones all the time, for starters

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

*Puts on Project Manager hat*

This is where you're failing. You have to be the loudest squeaky wheel. And if it's just you and these guys in the email chains, they can just ignore you.

If you're going to email- CC other bigshots. When you get other people involved in email chains, it makes the original addressees perk up. They're going to want to cover their ass and not look bad. Keep hammering them and they will eventually give you the attention you need to just get off their backs.

Also, try other forms of communication. Phone calls, Twitter/Facebook comments, paper letters, etc. Document each and every time. List these in your emails because it becomes damning. Continue to add CCs. Add in Biden and Abbot. The more the better.

I've seen it done and I've done it countless times. It's not a fun tactic but I'm known as someone who will escalate if I don't get a response after a few tries. So now everyone responds to me.

Most importantly: always be nice and polite. Don't blame. Don't translate your anger to your writing. Even if you are getting on their nerves, they can't really 'blame' you because you're so nice. You're just persistent.

Feel free to PM me any drafts and I will critique.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

@KingCheetah is good friends with Lina Hidalgo among others..... so thank him for taking care of you.

He is a well known socialite in certain circles.

He procured me used hair gel many years ago.

If you decide that you don't want to get the vaccination through legal channels please let me know, as I know someone that can help.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's her email?

Nook and pgabriel like this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That judge of ours is so damn paranoid all the time

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I swear that woman lives in fear

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a vaccine site in Pearland giving doses today.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

She is brave and beautiful.

JumpMan, KingCheetah and ElPigto like this.