1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is not a franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Feb 25, 2021.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i love how people can make definitive statements about a players future level of talent - and sound so confident doing it...

i particularly like how "He’s not a cornerstone piece"... but "by the time we’re done tanking and building through the draft, Wood will be a 29 year old free agent looking for a max contract"...

I mean i dont think he should really have any say in the decision making process of the org either... course i didnt think the bearded narcissist shoulda had that pull either - and he was an MVP... and we know how all that input turned out...

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This thread acts as if Kevin Porter jr doesn’t exist. In 4 years kpj and Wood will both be top 40 players in the NBA. And also the 3rd and 4th best players on the team.

Sky is the limit clutchcity/clutchfans

sydmill likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's not, but he's easily on pace to be a 3rd best player on a championship team, and possibly 2nd best player soon after that. One smart thing Silas has done is kept him at C. In 1-2 years when he's ready to help contend for a title, the league will be even smaller and he will hopefully have put on a bit more muscle. Will work out perfectly, and the headache of finding a stretch 5 who can defend and hit a 3 (and rebound and score!) is gone.

His salary makes it ok for us to wait on him. It's not getting in the way of a major signing or acquisition.

Also interesting is if he is very good at the end of this season, we could package him with picks to get any franchise player that becomes available via trade.

Hope he can stay healthy as he gets used to the minutes and number of games.

Rashmon and HP3 like this.
  4. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I'm sorta with you but disagree that he's peaked. Dude was just on his way to averaging 35 min a game.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Wood is stuck on the wrong team. He should be playing for a team whose owner isn’t intentionally tanking,

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I swear, if this were a top 5 pick doing what he did no one would be saying this.

The ONLY reason people are saying this is because of his backstory. Look at his numbers, pure numbers, they are simply all-star numbers from a big in the NBA. The team TANKED on offense and defense the moment he went out.

I would agree if he were just getting dunks and oops.

This is a guy taking wings and bigs off the dribble, dropping in floaters with ease, catching everything around the rim and finishing with a soft touch, hitting threes...these are not just fluke things where he's getting fed. You can give him the ball and he'll score. That's what makes him a cornerstone of this franchise moving forward.

roxallways, DCkid, gmoney411 and 2 others like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neither was LaMarcus Aldridge, but I'd still take a 25-year-old LaMarcus Aldridge.

Many of you guys read like you are raging NBA2Kers in Franchise Mode. Relax.

Rocket River and JayGoogle like this.
  8. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I agree, and its the front office's job to find a REAL one. This is not a knock on him, Wood is a terrific player, and an excellent complementary player to our future top player. We have a small window of 3 years, to find it.

One thing's for sure though, in his mind (wood) he is a franchise player superstar :)

sydmill and Mr Woods like this.
  9. Evans32

Evans32 Member

I would love to flip him for haliburton and bagley!

10. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

There’s no denying his talent. Like someone said earlier: at 25 years old, his comp is a young Lamarcus Aldridge or Chris Bosh — neither are 1st or even 2nd options on a real contender.

You don’t forfeit the tank and pass on building through the draft to go all in on a 3rd option player. That screams mediocrity and 14th pick to me.

Best option is to sell high on him now and commit to the youth movement.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

What’s the point of having a 25-year-old LaMarcus Aldridge if we’re rebuilding through the draft and our roster will be full of 20 year olds?

HP3 likes this.
  12. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Guy can give you 20 ppg, 10 rpg 1.5 bpg and efficiently make 3s while still create his own shots rather than rely on PG/SG for him to excel. His attitude towards the game is also positive and wants to prove his worth. Seriously, wtf is there to complain about?! I doubt anyone here is expecting him to be the next Hakeem the Dream, but the glimpse of his talent is good enough to be hopeful, and surrounding him with the right stars will only excel his game. This is why many of us here are hoping that the Rockets land a proven star rather than rely on drafts.

JayGoogle and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

Love it how people continuously act like they can say when a player peaked when even people that get paid a ton of money to do it professionally can’t really tell.

JayGoogle and Magicsaint like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

like the nets or suns. or make a new big 3 in denver

HP3 likes this.
  15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Also, how people think somehow the Rockets will land the next Jordan or LeBron James in the draft to downplay Woods talent or focus so much on the optics of him being 2nd, 3rd or 4th best player. Seriously, why does that even matter?! Wood can give 20/10 a night and that is a fact. Not every team needs to have a player that can give 30 ppg to win a championship or to be considered 1st, 2nd or 3rd best player in a team.

2003/4 championship Pistons team did not have a single player that avg more than 18 ppg nor had a 1st, 2nd or 3rd best player scenario. Each core player brought some talent on defense and offense and it worked. Simply said a team does not need to have LBJ or Kobe-type players to win a championship.

#35 Magicsaint, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    JayGoogle likes this.
  16. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

We need a trade soon. This place has really been beside itself the past few days.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Portland would kill for a 25 yr old LaMarcus now.

They got Dame.....decided to move on from LaMarcus
    (Or he moved on)
    Alot of people think Dame is a franchise player
    They still have lacked since LaMarcus left

Rocket River
    I dont want that for the Rockets. I want both.

HP3 likes this.
  18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He's 25 and averaging 22/10 in his first year as a full time starter. He might not ever be a superstar but it's way too early to say he can't be. After 3 years as a full time starter nobody thought Kawhi would be nearly as good as he is. There is just no good reason to give up on Wood right now unless you are getting a proven star in return.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sell high. Trade Wood for Durant. There I said it.

Rashmon, gmoney411 and KingCheetah like this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It has been said that Wood has lucid dream potential.

J.R. likes this.