1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For me, if it goes down about 2-3% or less, it's not really that bad, so half my portfolio is that. The other half, I have a bunch of stuff down 4%+ ... even stuff I don't want to sell like TSM, CRM, MRVL, FCX, etc. The ones that got completely wrecked for me are small half-positions in STPK, PLTR, and DM. It's almost like you can short anything in the short term and win. LOL. I sold some stuff and raised my cash position more over the past 2 or 3 months, but I'm going to see what's going on tomorrow before I start trimming even more. Hopefully it's not another drop where MSFT, AAPL, etc. give up the ghost. At that point, I'm going to be worried. lol.

CCity Zero, Sajan and saitou like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya I am getting wrecked on PLTR. It was just starting to go up 30+ when this sell off took it down again.
    Still holding onto a lot of my SPAC warrants but if the bleed continues, I might have to close some of them out.

What all are you holding onto Dr?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm a human ETF at the moment. I think I have about 30-35 stocks. about 10-15 more than I should be holding. lol. :D I full expect to be stopped out of some of these shortly :

TWTR, DE, MP, NKE, PGX, MO, SBUX, KO, VZ, WMT, O, NFLX, GLD, BRK.B, MSFT, SPY, SIRI, GE, AAPL, BABA, JETS, GM, CRWD, F, QS, MRVL, PYPL, TSM, FCX, SDGR, CRM, GRWG, DM, PLTR, STPK

A mix of boring and "why the hell did I get into this crap?", but weighted more heavily to the former... :D

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I agree with you on these points too. I felt the same way thinking on the charges, like before the ~$10 charge would add up (even with/without the commissions) so people would typically think sometimes before jumping into something especially if they weren't trading with much. And definitely agree with you on margin, I just meant that more people can do their 3 day trades within 5 days on a smaller account now. Iirc I want to say that some brokerages wanted some higher amount to trade like that in the past if you weren't at 25k but I can't recall too well, I mean even then it probably wasn't that much. But you're also right that new traders with no experience shouldn't be trading like that anyway.

And you're definitely right, there's going to be a lot of people holding bags at some point - if they're not already. And it's almost certain that for every successful story in the last year that a lot of new people have probably wrecked their accounts. I just hope that most new traders didn't put in more than they were willing to risk if they were trying to daytrade.

Like w/ the pullbacks/corrections I hope new traders have plans and took profits. Some new traders forget that you don't always have to be in every trade and sitting on the sidelines isn't always a bad move when you're waiting for another trade.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Ok did some YouTube research. Fear seems to be over rates increasing further because gov will have to flood the market with treasuries to fund the stimulus, causing abundance/lower bond prices/higher yields. Analyst on cnbc projecting 2%.

My own thinking - unknown factor is whether FED will move to buy the bonds, killing bond abundance and rates. Am I getting it wrong?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Fed has been buying up bonds. They've said they'll keep buying bonds until they think the economy is "ok" or they see inflation getting "too high".

saitou and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I held back and missed out as well. Definitely a missed opportunity. Looking for my next opportunity with a little cash on hand.

saitou likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

LOL. So you invest in the DoD 100.
    I only own 1 serious stock in my brokerage account at vanguard. MSFT.
    It was Sept 2019 and I had money from one of the Porsches I sold.....yolo'ed all of it into MSFT instead of TSLA. Went for the safer yolo.

But rest of my Roth, Rollover and 401k is in either Total Stock ETF or Total International ETF.

My TDA account is where I do the trades we discuss in here. Spacs, memes etc. I am no longer enjoying the stress of it. I am ready to start cashing out and find a different hobby. It's turning into a full time job keeping up.

9. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

S&P is hitting a support level for now but IMO the NASDAQ already broke it's upward trend line. Anything is possible but personally I don't see why the Fed would try to keep flooding the market with money when it seems like our economy is ripe for re-opening. All I know is that my tech and SPAC stocks are extra sensitive to market downturns and extra de-sensitive when the market runs up so I want to limit my downside even if it means limiting my upside if another rally happens. Personally I also feel that CCIV put fear for the first time in many retail traders because so many people really believe Lucid is worth $60-100B and are stuck holding the bag right now, whereas nobody really believed GME was worth $100+ because it was a short squeeze play.

Sajan, STR8Thugg and saitou like this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Down 75k guys....been a bad week

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

**** man, sorry to hear that.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm new to a lot of this and slow on the uptake. Can someone explain how VIX is calculated or what it means in plain english?
    https://markets.businessinsider.com...an-marko-kolanovic-strategy-2021-2-1030118833

JPM giving two thumbs up. Able to repurchase shares at a moment's notice.

Hope the stim bill gets everyone back in shape.

I would prob plot an exit strategy if that happens...

#15472 Invisible Fan, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    saitou likes this.
  13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Painful, but focus on the overall percent gain/lost rather than a fixed dollar amount when evaluating your portfolio.

CCity Zero, Sajan and saitou like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/vix.asp
    https://www.investopedia.com/articl...13/tracking-volatility-how-vix-calculated.asp

VXX
    UVXY

You're on your own... prepare to be wrecked. :D

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Schrödinger Expands Agreement with Google Cloud to Further Bolster Its Drug Discovery and Materials Science Initiatives

https://ir.schrodinger.com/news-rel...ds-agreement-google-cloud-further-bolster-its

Finally some PR. Tripling processing throughput. @adoo

i still think SDGR would be the perfect acquisition target for GOOGL. fits their cloud, AI/ML and life science ambitions perfectly.

adoo likes this.
  16. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Anyone going to chase the upcoming Coinbase direct listing coming up here soon in March?

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Nice comeback from after hours lows. Let's see if it can hold today.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

That are so many SPACs that merged in the last 6 months and no one cared about valuation or whether even the target company had revenue. But CCIV all of a sudden is the eye opener.
    Speaking of valuation, we've discussed whether TSLA is worth 700+ billion.
    I told my buddy a few months back that the biggest barrier when it comes to new EV entrants, even for the legacy car makers, will be TSLA fan bois. It's a cult like behavior and they will go out of their way to trash any of the opponents. What they don't realize is it's better for more manufacturers to enter the market. Everyone benefits.

But getting back to your original point, we are exposed to a lot more risk in a reopening scenario because most of the items we discuss in here are tech and speculative plays.

Cokebabies likes this.
  19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Off to a bad start

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

if it follows recent ipo trends probably not. it'll probably get bid to the moon by hedge funds and come to market at super inflated price and then crash when they unload their bags to retail, then recover up to the lock-up expiry and crash again when insiders unload...

NotInMyHouse likes this.