1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Keep your 2,000 year old fairy tale out of football.

If you want to believe the earth is 10,000 years old and all the other dated and horribly offensive BS, do it on your own time.

DaDakota and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. Pringles

Pringles Member

...so never?

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Just remember...every time you read another headline about DW4 refusing to drive this clown car any longer, this is all Jack and Cal’s fault.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yep and hearing the report that Watson told culley he wants no part of this team on last friday it's over the texans are going into a full rebuild mode so we all might as well either choose another team to root for or stick it out.

Pringles likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

"we serve a very process-oriented God"

Remind me @MadMax which gospel that line's in...and then try and explain to me what it means

6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

First let me state that I've never listened to Easterby preach even for 1 second (and really don't have a desire to either), but the 2 main statements quoted in the McCown tweet are theologically accurate and what's more if Deshaun really is a born-again Christian (and his baptism in the Jordan last year sure looks to me like that's what he considers himself) then he shouldn't have a problem with the statements either.

Christian means "Christ-like" or "Christ imitator".
    So the part about not having things figured out and submitting to Christ is actually the entire message of the gospel......that we humans are flawed, sinful beings that have no way of "fixing" ourselves and MUST rely on Jesus' death on the cross 2000 years ago and the Holy Spirit to do so.

The part about being process-oriented is that Christians have to rely upon God to initiate and bring the process of fixing us to completion, a kind of "trust the process" if you will.
    Only the real point would be "trust the Processor"!

Again this is in line with what the Bible teaches, although Easterby's way of trying to clumsily mix it with football jargon may seem childish to some the statements are theologically accurate imho.

But the main thing germane to the situation is that Deshaun will/should recognize that.
    This is what has always been so puzzling to me.
    If Deshaun is really a Christian he shouldn't have a problem with statements like those.

I think that most likely what it is, is that Deshaun has problems with Easterby's/Cal's ACTIONS more than their words.
    Like (supposedly) lying to Deshaun about having input in the gm/coaching searches and then disregarding the search team's recommendations to hire Caserio, etc..
    And firing so many in the organization just because they don't agree with you.
    These definitely are NOT Christ-like actions imho!!!
    They seem more out of the BoB playbook than the Bible to me.

I think Deshaun sees Cal and Easterby as incompetent liars and hypocrites rather than shysters.
    Whack message? No.
    Whack, misguided plan of action for the Texans (fraught with greed and selfish ambitions)? Most definitely!

Sorry, I know this is not the forum for it (was just answering a posters question) so I won't post any more on this in this forum, but in reference to the other poster's remark about a 10,000 year old earth there are MANY Christians who believe that the universe is app. 13.7998 byo and the Earth is app. 4.5662 byo. (just for clarification purposes).

Carry on!
    cheers.

Kim, clos4life and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. conquistador#11

He who hasn't done this at age 39, throw the first XBox360 controller. In my defense since 2010, a thread in the hangout moved me away from childish things of game consoles and into the sophisticated gentlemen PC games. I can imagine that David Carr awe expression as he is telling this to Sage . That's funny right there.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

A real life Billy Madison in charge of running one of the most profitable sports teams in the world. What could go wrong?

UTSA2step, Dgn1 and Htown Legend like this.
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This seems prosperity gospel-ish. Don’t try to figure stuff out, just pray until it comes to you.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have lots of questions before I can answer any of that :)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

This is purely my opinion based off some things I’ve read and heard:

There have been rumors of Cal being an alcoholic- like enough to where it’s concerning to the McNair family. Apparently it got worse when Bob died.

Easterby had a prior relationship with BOB when Easterby was working at South Carolina. Easterby then used that relationship with Bob after he found out about Cal’s personal/addiction issues to get close to Cal.

A few months back there was an incident with a fan at a game who held up a “Fire Easterby” sign. Hannah McNair(Cal’s wife) confronted a person connected to the sign and basically defended Easterby.

What I’m saying is... if the rumors are true about Cal having addiction issues, and the McNair family believes that Easterby is somehow helping Cal overcome these issues, then it runs deeper than Cal sticking with Easterby. Janice, Hannah, everyone is on board.

What really pisses me off is that ownership is now mixing personal relationships with business. In exchange for Easterby being a personal “life coach” for Cal, he also has been rewarded with extreme power/ decision making within the Texans organization... because Cal is simply incompetent.

Easterby is a snake. Cal was his prey and he struck.

Blake, RHU525, Kim and 3 others like this.
  12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a pattern with Cal McNair developing personal relationships with his subordinates. He made Rick Smith the godfather to his children. There are things you just shouldn't do. This is one of them. I had an employee ask me to be the godfather to his kids and in my mind, it was a "Hell no!" I, of course, respectfully declined to the employee, but I ended up firing him for just cause years later.

There is no way to objectively evaluate a subordinate if you are in too deep. And you especially don't do it when most GM's are probably fired before year 5. This shows a consistent pattern of bad judgment and incompetence.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Religion tears everything down.

DD

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You can say the same for politics

payaso, Kim and coachbadlee like this.
  17. verse

verse Contributing Member

Incompetence, as well. But what happens when you get the unprecedented intersection of religion, politics, racial insensitivity and massive, unqualified incompetence? We are witnessing a Master class of ****ery. I'm appalled but can't stop watching. I am Jack's burning desire to tear down this organization.

That's funny! You'll laugh later.

mario_v, Kim, IKant and 5 others like this.
  18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What are you talking about I’m laughing right now

Kim, clos4life and verse like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Easterby was funnier.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member