1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would this team have the #1 record in the league right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 24, 2021.

?

Better than the Jazz?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

2018 CP3 looked DONE. I have no qualms with Rockets decision to trade him. I hate Westbrook’s play style and would have preferred someone else — but I’m seriously doubting we were getting anyone for CP3s contract. Nobody figured he’d bounce back in 2019 with OKC. I absolutely agree with you, looking back, we should have stood pat. But at the time, it was 100% understandable to trade CP3. I never understood the desire to go small and move CC. I disagreed with that way more than the CP3 trade at the time.

hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

We had to go small to maximize Westbrook. I think its also overstated how bad Cp3 looked, he was still an above average PG. It was just a down year, that very next year he went vegan and back to being his old self. There is a reason Morey didnt want to trade him.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He was like 34 already and was unable to get past centers. Yes, he looked that bad. Not like he didn’t belong in the league, but clearly lost a step and was only getting further into his 30s. You can take chances with 20 year olds having a down head that they’ll bounce back, but when it’s your highest paid players in their mid 30s already, I don’t know if any team would have taken that risk — if they were trying to win that year.

hakeem94, BHannes2BHonest and topfive like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Best regular season or not is irrelevant. This team is a WCF show at best depending on the seed and not winning a title.

I don't think this is a contending team that's getting past the Lakers or Clippers and see them having close coinflip series with the Nuggets or Jazz.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

If you look at his stats, he was very much still a positive impact player. He's a top 3-5 PG of all time. You give those type of players lee way. He really just had a down shooting year. It was never the correct decision to move him and especially for Westbrook. Morey was right like he usually is.

ronclone and lilbird20 like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

You gottta respect Chris Paul more.

ronclone and lilbird20 like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

maybe if we still had Clint.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I do. I just don't respect him more than prime Anthony Davis or the 2nds on many contending teams.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Chris Paul and C Woods>is better though.

lilbird20 and JayGoogle like this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t think you give those kinds of players Lee way when you’re trying to win now and it was already a bad contract. He had more than a down shooting year, he also couldn’t get past anyone.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We traded the #1 of 30 highest IQ PG for the #30 and burned picks to do it. A PG has more impact on a team than his scoring at the rim and that's why Westbrook is fools gold.

hakeem94, ronclone, lilbird20 and 2 others like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Wood was a free agent. We could keep those picks.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Much better.

Had the Rockets gotten Butler or Wood like they planned they would be a top 3 team in the NBA and IMO would have won last year.

hakeem94, lilbird20 and HP3 like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Stats, schmatz. CP3 was ass that second year and as the year went along began to rebel against D'Antoni's ISO-heavy system, the very system that got us closer to a title than we've been in 25 years.

It's easy to look back in retrospect and say that trading him was a bad move, but at the time it was 50-50 on whether to deal him or keep him. Of course, trading with with 4 FRPs for Westbrook was unquestionably a bad move and Tilman should never have ordered it done.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, because Harden whined about CP3 and would have done the same crap and left anyway.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Well if you wanted to get Covington AND Woods last year, we would have had to give up at least a first to get him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

I just dont think you give up on a great basketball mind like Cp3..especially when we were trading for a worst player straight up...but we are mostly on the same page here.

hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Without a doubt yes. Cp3 and harden were stomping the jazz on a regular basis. Their record when all 3 played together speaks for itself and yes there’s more than enough of a sample size that solidifies it’s credibility. They would still be the best backcourt today and last year

#38 YOLO, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Why is Ackerman so excited about an offensive foul LOL

Whoops wrong thread.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The funny thing about this question.... better than the jazz???

Harden by himself always eliminated the jazz lol