1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Carlos Correa open to long-term contract with Houston Astros, if done before season starts

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by t4rm5la4r, Feb 23, 2021.

1. t4rm5la4r

t4rm5la4r Member

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. htownbball

htownbball Member

How much you think we pay him? Tatis's contract is $24M AAV and Lindor's final arbitration salary is $22.3M (Carlos is almost half of this).

We all love Carlos, but he hasn't been healthy over 162 and hasn't shown his true potential over a full season.

Do we give him a deal that locks in future incentives based on previous year's performance? Or a long term deal with opt out clauses? Or medium term deal with mutual options or options that lock in based on numbers?

I feel like we can definitely get creative and provide Carlos with lifetime security with some achievable incentives that would put him in line with market value should he achieve those incentives.

rpr52121 and TWS1986 like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I doubt he's offered anything close to what he thinks he's worth. He very well could finally have that monster MVP level season this year and that will be all it takes for a club to offer him around 30M a year. His past performances will be blamed on fluky injuries and he was finally able to put it all together now.

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Pay him, and sit him down until October. that’s when his real value comes in

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Except when it didn't in 2018 and 2019.

And you have to get to the playoffs first, fans have started to take that for granted around here. The regular season matters in baseball.

HookemHorns1250 and Nook like this.
  6. Mattician

Mattician Member

Get it done.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There was a tweet today that Click plans to sit down with Correa for extension talks during the spring.

Not that the Astros need to be upfront about any of this stuff, but this would be a slight change of their normal MO (even in the Luhnow years) of how they handle possible extensions. Either they happen under the radar (Altuve, Bregman, JV, Brantley), there’s no mention of the possibility of discussion (Springer), or there’s now this.

awc713 likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My offers to Carlos:

$180M/6yrs with no opt outs

$220M/10yrs (plus incentives that could max it out at $250M) with opt out after the 1st season

$90M/3yrs (plus incentives that could max it out at $120M) with opt out after every season

If he wants $300M guaranteed, it’s “We are really sad about that, because you mean so much to this franchise, but we can’t afford that. Let’s win another ring this year and good luck to you after that.”

rpr52121 likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think both sides would have interest in a shorter/higher value deal. A $300 million deal now won’t be the same 5 years from now.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The fact that he was a #1 overall draft pick, his physical stature, and his playoff exposure drives his price above where the raw stats would suggest. I love Correa and hope we can keep him. But a sober assessment of his injury history and his production does not equal Mike Trout / Anthony Rendon money.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think all those offers are reasonable for the Stros but Carlos, if healthy will command more on the market especially for a contender because of his playoff success. Top 6 in playoff RBI's at age 27 and highest rate of RBI's to PA's. of anyone in the top 10. They dude is clutch when healthy. So it comes down to him betting on his health.

Even if he isn't healthy, as long as it's not his back again, I still think he gets bigger offers. If he plays to his potential for a full season, he may get Harper/Trout type money.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I agree with nearly everything you said. To make your point even more, Correa is 26, not 27. As a 27-year-old free agent next offseason, he'd get a big contract even if his 2021 regular season production doesn't come close to matching his postseason numbers. He's a big game player and he's got a shot at the career playoff records for both RBI and home runs.

I don't think he deserves or will get Trout/Harper money, but it's going to be a big number.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Get it done, indeed.

14. rockbox

Didn't say he deserves it, I just think he may get it if he has an MVP type season. 27 years, plays SS with amazing defense, crazy post season stats, prototypical in every way, proven winner even if it's tainted, and became the leader last season in adversity. The guy that every team wants as a cornerstone player.

#14 rockbox, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. rockbox

To add. As big of a stud as Correa has been, everyone thinks he has another gear and you can tell he wants to be the best in baseball.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It sounds like he is betting against himself. If he has a great season, he will command even more later. By trying to push things to get done now, isnt he saying he isnt sure what kind of season he is going to have? What am I missing?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes and no. He isn’t going to sign for just anything guaranteed... but he also has to realize his current lower arbitration numbers are solely due to his inability to stay on the field.

I do think he wants to be a “leader” of a franchise vs. just another guy on a team full of high priced players. The current Houston sports market is wide open for being a face of the city.... a healthy/productive Correa would have a great chance of being the vocal leader of all things Houston sports.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Maybe he really likes being an Astro and would like to be here longer. Maybe he’s worried about the injury risks and would like long term security. Characterizing a player signing an extension before free agency as “betting against themselves” is a bit harsh.

19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Let’s make CarLoco an Astro for life!
    [​IMG]

20. elrond

elrond Member

So I've seen it mentioned in a couple of areas regarding Correa's willingness to move to 3B. Can someone explain this to me? I had assumed that Correa was a better fielding SS vs. Bregman and has a better arm. Is this an incorrect belief on my part? Or does 3B arm need to be better? I still have memories of watching Caminiti rocket the ball to 1st.