1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Still the party of trump...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody in here who still supports Trump tell me why. Somehow I doubt the answer I get will be the truth though. Lot's of full blown racists hiding behind their vote with their own version of truth is what I will probably hear.

How did he make your life better? I'd like to hear, because he certainly made my life miserable.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

@Haymitch Does this count as "talking about Trump" if the GOP, to this day, is "talking about Biden" stealing the election from Trump?

Deckard likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes! This is news channels talking about Trump. They don't need to. They don't need to talk about him saying it was stolen. We all already know he said that. So let's just move on. Don't feed the troll. To others who want to keep talking about a stolen election... same. Don't interview them about it. Just move on.

However, I have read that ratings for CNN and Fox have fallen off a cliff since Trump left, so I guess this is why they insist on talking about him.

pgabriel, R0ckets03 and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that. I'd like to hear your truth. How did Trump make your life miserable.

pgabriel likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think we all know something wrong with government and need an outlet to vent the dysfunction.

No doubt cable majors play on this as a form of outrage or hate p*rn while feeding on their respective audiences.

Trump’s lasting effect is like a car wreck that ripples into traffic jams several hours after the accident is cleaned up. Correct me if I’m wrong but i remember dub**** still being in the news frequently but it was more one sided as cons/libertarians wanted to forget him faster than a morning after pill.

Psychologically speaking, we’re all seeking resolutions to stories or social issues but none of these things are going away and have morphed into sporting seasons or interminable “forever wars” that have become highly desensitized for anyone still paying attention.

Hope a way is found out of that cynical loop...

#7 Invisible Fan, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

For one, my quality of living didn't improve one bit during his first 3 years in office over any previous administration. To watch the horror show all last year of him flaunting no masks, lying, lying, lying, inciting hate, stirring up radicals, dividing our country into red and blue, black and white was like watching some psychopath Hitler type destroying our country. Watching him and his entire family parade around our country for months bragging about his Maskless crowds in the middle of a pandemic mortified me. He NEVER shed a tear or showed an ounce of remorse for all those dying. He basically killed half a million people from pure negligence, and Covid hoax propaganda. He sickens me.

I had to quit work, have had my life turned upside down, and isolate myself from friends and family. I watched a new rise of radical extremists follow this psycho. His lies and propaganda, attempts to suppress voting, attempts to steal the election, and incitement of the storming of the Capitol were the actions of a man who will do anything to stay in power. To hear him tell those people who had just beat down police and screamed to hang our Vice President that he loves them was the ultimate sign of a very dangerous and disturbed man.

I don't like arrogant people, racists, selfish & greedy people, liars, Grifters, cheaters, cons, bullies, people with the inability to show remorse, admit they are wrong, or those unable to show an ounce of empathy for those in need. Trump is all of those wrapped into one big lump. Nothing about him makes my life better.

So, tell me. What is it you like about that man?

#8 deb4rockets, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  9. NewRoxFan

This sounds like the Neville Chamberlain approach to trump.

Ignoring trump would be be fine if he would simply go away. But he won't. Now when he controls the republican party. Not when so many republican congressmen are spreading his Big Lie on every major network (and then gets amplified on republican social media). And, based on the poll the USA Today poll, not when so many republican voters would go so far as to leave the republican party to continue their support of trump.

btw, trump will be speaking at cpac.

Also btw, I'd guess that all news watching will drop right after a presidential election. I also believe that MSBC ratings have gone up... and their focus seems much more on the evil of trump. So not sure reporting on trump is hurting news networks. Plus... the growth of the hyper pro trump sources like oann, newsmax, and facebook... I don't think trump is fading away from the attention of his supporters.

Pbev99 likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

After Trump got elected my family immediately became embolden and obsessed with white nationalist fascistic political views in such an aggressive way that it completely destroyed our family. It has become impossible to attend a family gathering even pre Covid. Countless fights and wasted precious years.

All because of what Trump did to obsess them with Trumpism in such an aggressive cult like mode that changed the way they talk to and interact with even their closest family members.

You ask the question of how our lives got worse, I’d say completely losing your closest family members to a cult is a pretty big loss. Not to mention how my taxes actually went up under Trumps 2 trillion tax “cut” with the deductions taken away, lost love ones to Covid that might not have happened with a proper response. Trump also changed my life in that there were so many horrible things daily that it forced me to pay attention to politics in a way I never did before. So instead of coming here to post about D-Mo vs TJones, etc. I have to check the DD to see if there was a coup to violently overthrow our government again when I would much rather enjoy thinking about other things.

Yes Trump made my life worse.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That is me exactly!

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Under Trump I've financially done better and even 2020 I did well financially but besides that he did negatively affect my life.

In Spring of 2017 my dad was planning on visiting the US and his visa was denied. It had never been denied before so this was a real surprise to us. No explanation was given except that his visa was denied by the US State Department and not the US Consulate in HK. After spending a lot of time and money we managed to get it appealed and get him a visa to visit. My dad is a physics professor in his 70's who had lived here in the US for 30 years. New policies though put in at the State Department under the Trump Administration though made it much harder for people of all backgrounds to come and visit even those with families here.

For my family this was a major inconvenience but it's been much worse for many immigrant families with separations and detentions and not just people trying to come through the Mexican border. The New Yorker had a story recently about an Iranian professor who came to visit family in the US in 2019, was detained on specious ties to the Iranian regime and then shuffled through multiple ICE detention centers for much of 2020, got COVID-19, before he was finally deported back to Iran.

In addition to how the Trump Administration mishandled the pandemic the anti-Asian rhetoric that Trump himself has used and defended has put many Asian Americans on edge. Bias attacks on Asian Americans have greatly increased the last year with many of those attacks being specifically tied COVID-19. That the President has pushed claims that this disease was deliberately done the Chinese and continued to use terms like "Kung Flu" has fanned those flames.

As someone who frequently traveled internationally but also worked on international projects Trump's protectionist rhetoric, ham handed trade policies and insulting long standing trade partners and allies has made it less comfortable as an American in dealings abroad.

Deckard, pgabriel, adoo and 4 others like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nm. See @Nolen’s post below.

#13 B-Bob, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    VooDooPope and deb4rockets like this.
  14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Quoted for Truth!

Trump was a disaster.

vlaurelio and deb4rockets like this.
  15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Since this thread has turned into attempts to summarize the negative effects of the Trump presidency, I think we have to discuss where the greatest destruction lies. The deepest wounds were made in places that are hard to discuss in a material sense.

Regarding democracy, government, financial institutions, even currency - faith is everything. Everything.

A currency only has value because enough people agree that it does. Same for a financial institution. Ask someone who has seen a run on a bank.

Same is true for a government. The same is true for democracy itself. It only works because people have faith that even if their preferred candidate or party lost this time, there will be a next time, and their vote was counted. There must be a shared belief that votes will be counted fairly, that there will be continuity, peaceful transference of power, equal protection under the law, enforcement of the law and of contracts.... without this, markets and society crumble.

No single figure in the history of the country has done more to destroy faith in institutions than former president Trump. He tried to destroy the very idea of objective truth, he worked endlessly to destroy faith in elections, faith in democratic institutions, faith in the idea that a population of different people can live together peacefully. Trump led a war against truth, against decency, against democracy, and won far more than any American who came before him. This is his legacy, and will we suffer harm from it for some time.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The sad part is that people actually believed his lies and propaganda. He saw that, and took it to a level that, like you said, did so much harm. Luckily, many of us saw through him and his psychopathic narcissistic ways of manipulating others. Unfortunately, many didn't, and he reeled them in and fueled the fire of destruction, chaos, and confusion any way he could. The level he took it was pure evil, and nothing about it was patriotic, yet he called his followers patriots. Patriots to him, but not to anything that made America great, better, and united together during a time when we needed it most.

#16 deb4rockets, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    VooDooPope likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL at people still defending Trump

From calling Obama a Kenyan Muslim not born in America

to as president inciting racist and extremist militias to storm the capitol and look for Pence, Pelosi etc

and all the destruction to American values, culture, families, and lives in between

TTRocket, Pbev99, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Republican Party as I knew it no longer exists. It's been replaced with a xenophic, racist, extreme white nationalist version of the John Birch Society.

deb4rockets and VooDooPope like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post.

The 2020 election by all objective measurements was the most secure election in US history that hasn't stopped a significant portion of the population from believing it was fraudulent at all levels. This is corrosive to one of the core norms of this country, faith in our representative democracy. This is why I've been saying it would be a mistake to just ignore Trump and Trumpism. Trumpism isn't just a continuance of trends such as the TEA Party but that the loss of faith in our democracy is being driven largely by Trump himself on very specious reasons. It is widely believed because of the cult of personality around Trump where his supporters cannot accept in their world view that Trump could lose.

Deckard likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan