1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Odd Computer Problems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, May 3, 2004.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok well I know it's very vague but my computer reboots almost randomly now. It seems like it does it more often when I am surfing the web with IE. i've run this simm memory tester program and it didnt find anything wrong. i ran chkdsk and it came up with all these corrupt files from stuff that i had installed recently like AIM and YIM. i had to reinstall some stuff because i was trying to update XP and my comp froze during the update and i couldn't boot my comp back up after...so i had to reinstall XP.

also, suddenly my IE is lower on my screen. it leaves some space up at the top and it goes a little into my toolbar on the bottom. yes i have it completely maximized.

can anyone help me at least get started fixing some of this stuff? i know i didn't provide very specific info, but what exactly would cause the comp to reboot seemingly randomly?

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

It sounds like it could possibly be a virus of some sort. Have you tried running an AV scan with updated virus lists?

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah...i am running one now...i ran norton av last week and it found nothing so i got AVG av and it just found 3 infected files. downloader.alchem something.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

im still having the IE window problem where it is moved down on the screen....any ideas?

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

try to run System restore to restore settings from before the problem occured.

does anyone besides myself find it funny that the first thing most people will blame computer problems on is virii?

this sounds like nothing mroe than corrupted files due to a failed upgrade....MS updates that fail are notorious for leaving behind corrupted files.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wow. A lot of people are getting viruses on their computers. This has to be the most virus/computer related problems in this forum at once.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

jesus christ...now i can't even freaking play yahoo pool. WTF! i've tried to uninstall stuff and it wont work! ARGH!! must firebomb computer!

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

I wonder if it could be a version of this malware?

http://wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,63280-2,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

New versions of CWS are being released almost every week, and antivirus programs struggle to identify and block all the variants. Many users complain that their antivirus or anti-spyware programs did not detect CWS on infected machines.

CWS affects only PCs running the Windows operating system and Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser. If users haven't applied the patches that protect computers against security flaws in Java Virtual Machine, it appears that some versions of CWS can install themselves automatically, without users agreeing to install the software.

Most versions of CWS are extremely difficult to remove from infected computers. According to Madsen, none of the half-dozen well-known antivirus applications he tried was able to detect the variant of CWS that lurked on his machine. He used CWShredder, a program made by Bellekom, to remove it, but said CWS still comes back after every reboot.

:eek:

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

just ran the cwshredder and it only detected one registry file. also a new thing developed...my homepage reset to the about:blank page. this was just in the past 5 min.

also after i found the viruses on my comp and removed them i still had the same strange rebooting problem while i was using IE.

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

I would scan for a virus. The "big threat" of the week -- a worm -- is supposed to cause the computer to re-boot itself at random, and change some of the settings. Since that's pretty much the symptoms you describe, it's a good place to start.

I recently went through a round of intermittent problems with my PC -- it would lock up and quit responding, reboot at odd times, etc. It was hard to pin down because it was inconsistent -- and when it worked, it passed every diagnostic I could throw at it. I eventually found out I had a bad hard disk.