1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

One way or another we're gonna find out which is exciting. It's on him to either help rebuild and lead a franchise or end up with something worse than that. Choice seems obvious.

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

What Barkley did 25-35 years ago would not be tolerated now, the world is a different place.

Olajuwon punched people during games when he was younger 30-35 years ago.

He also clapped Sam Cassel in the face during practice.... but again that was a different era and society was different.

3. Nook

Nook Member

It is a positive that we haven't heard of any problems with the Vipers. There is no question about that. My only caveat to that is remember it hasn't been a very long period of time. I am rooting for Porter, and he may do well with therapy and a support system. Outcomes are all over the map.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If this league offers wife beaters, druggies and pedophiles 2nd chances then Im okay with banking on KPJ.

Knowing he's working through a mental disorder should be more reason for support not less, but you are entitled to your opinion. IF he ever screws up you can say "I told ya'll so" and that will be that.

This team needs some hope - not more doom and gloom.

bpbkforlife and D-rock like this.
  5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of this legendary clip.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just sayin. What this kid is going through is nothing to really worry about. He can be a whole lot worse. Some people on here are talking like he is coming off a murder charge. He just did some stupid kid stuff.

groovemachine and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I don't think so.

This is stuff that needs to be addressed by the organization and they need to get Porter help.

This really isn't "kids stuff" in 2021 in the NBA.... the this type of stuff won't be tolerated, one team already gave him away for free.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is exactly why I think the issue with KPJ is or was serious. No NBA franchise would be willing to let go of that immense talent so easily unless Bill O'brien somehow got a job in the NBA.

9. Nook

Nook Member

You are reading too much into what I have said.

Tell me which players in 2021 are wife beaters and druggies and pedophiles?

No one has said Porter shouldn't be supported or supported less..... if anything I have said he needs counseling and more attention from the Rockets.

What I have said is that these issues will not magically go away over night, they require time and hard work.

I also won't say "I told you so" as I am not saying he WILL fail, nor am I saying he WILL NOT solve his issues....... what I am saying is that these are problems that will require effort from Porter and understanding from the Rockets.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Yes..... so we have reports that USC was going to dismiss him from the program........ then the CAVS release him..... there are real issues that need to be addressed. Maybe those issues are addressed and solved, maybe they are not, we will find out. My point is that these issues will take time, effort and introspection by someone that is 20 years old.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hopefully KPJ gets one of those Christian Wood enlightened moments and realizes being in the NBA can end in an instant.

groovemachine likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Recent arrests in the NBA:
    Rodions Kurucs - domestic abuse 2019 (still in league)
    Josh Jackson - resisting arrest 2019 (still in league)
    Jabari Bird - domestic assault and battery w/deadly weapon 2018 (no longer in league)
    JR Smith - criminal mischief 2018 (no longer in league)
    Sterling Brown - obstructing an officer 2018 (still in league)
    Dennis Shroeder - Battery 2017 (still in league)
    Draymond Green - Assault 2016 (still in league)
    Darren Collison - domestic abuse 2016 (still in league)
    Marcus/Markieff Morris - aggravated assault 2015 (still in league)
    Blake Griffin - battery 2014 (still in league)

that is keeping out all the DWIs and weed cases that were abundant in the same span.

I dont expect magic - I expect KPJ to learn from his mistakes and I feel strongly he has shown thus far to be progressing in the right direction.

What is sad is how mental disorders tend to be swept under the rug by the NBA and other things are more permissible and easy to move on from since there are some sad stories and also some huge successes - like I never knew Ray Allen suffered from OCD.

I'd say those guys who get caught drunk driving and with other substances in their system prove more unreliable and dangerous to a team and society as a whole and the wife beaters and truly violent guys shouldnt be so easy to forget they were ever in trouble to begin with.

Should be interesting to see it all unfold.

D-rock, DreamShook and Nook like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Olajuwon was pretty quick tempered and often violent before finding religion, he also slapped Vernon Maxwell for spitting on the court. He then turned into a peaceful guy who never lost his cool after that life changing event.

In short, you never know what can happen. Right now Porter is appearing to be doing the right things so that's reason for guarded optimism.

As a counter-point though, Ron Artest never stopped being an out of control head case yet still had a productive career....so maybe the life transforming change doesn't even have to happen if he's managed properly.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You naming Sterling Brown in there is not a right, just saying. That was one of the worst cases of recorded mistreatment by police of an NBA player I have ever seen.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont disagree at all - the bodycam footage is hard to stomach, but he WAS arrested.

D-rock likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

I wouldn't get my hopes up on KPJ because it could abruptly end. Love the talent and hope he can make it as a Rocket but just being real.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not saying it should be tolerated. Just saying its weak sauce compared to what others have done.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If that happens we will have our new James Harden.

Verbal Christ, DreamShook and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I just hope Porter knows that we are all pulling for him on CF.

FYI - Iko confirms that Rockets are grooming him to be a PG.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Someone post the full Atlantic article on KPJ!! PLEAAASE!!

Corrosion likes this.