1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MIT Tech Review] Bill Gates: Rich nations should shift entirely to synthetic beef

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Bill Gates is a meddling psychopathic menace.

He made money off a crappy operating system, and now presumes to be an expert on global health policy.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

3. Buck Turgidson

This is completely untrue.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So I'm assuming you are an expert here where you can have the knowledge to know Bill Gates is wrong?

5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

2015: Bill Gates: The next outbreak? We're not ready | TED Talk

Dude is smart and has been in the global health policing for probably longer than you have been able to say bitcoin.

Buck Turgidson and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Mcdonalds has been doing that serving us with those delicious majin buu play-doh patties.

Invisible Fan, dachuda86 and Amiga like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

reported.

---- I mean not really... but I really want to..... just stop. You can not eat meat but don't even say that kinda hate speech round Texans.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

China first! I mean they should do that fake meat thing first. And they should reduce their carbon first too. Then I'll think about it... and not?

Also no one elected Bill Gates--- our fake scientist/doctor/farmer/wannabe global overlord

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I live with a vegetarian. Our daughter, who lives in town, is also one (our son isn't, but he lives in Dallas, poor fellow). I'm not. So when I grill, which is often these days (when there isn't a blizzard in Austin), I toss on a couple of Beyond Burgers, which I park far away from my steak (usually a ribeye).

Slathered in BBQ sauce and straight from the grill, they aren't bad. I had to taste one in order to show how open minded I am. Uncooked, they look, feel and smell weird. Seriously. My S.O. tried the Beyond Sausage and declared it uneatable, so she sticks to the burgers. I'll stick to the real thing. Thank goodness for Statins!

tinman, FranchiseBlade and dachuda86 like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To solve the damage to the ozone and humans desire to eat beef is easy.

make cattle farms on the Moon. What's the methane gas going to do there? A whole lot of nothing.

then send some SpaceX ships to deliver them to Earth.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He may be 100% correct, but if won't happen as long as cows exist.

12. Buck Turgidson

And cows will exist as long as demand exists.

Clearcutting South America, Asia and Africa to turn forest to pasture is the largest CO2 impact. Look up how much soybean animal feed gets shipped from Brazil/Argentina/etc to Europe and Asia. You shouldn't raise animals in places where animals are not meant to be raised. North America is prime for it, there's a whole lot of land that's not good for anything else (other than buffalo herds, but whitey made that change century+ ago).

eta: this guy is a great authority on livestock science. UC Davis is the preeminent school for it (sorry Aggies). He of course leans more toward the ag-industry side of things, but he's at the very least a good counterbalance to other sources: https://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/people/faculty/frank-mitloehner

AleksandarN, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Aren't cows genetically modified to fart less nowadays? Cow farts are like a big part of this problem, right?

14. Buck Turgidson

They've got experimental feed additives based on seaweed that cuts down the farts, but in the grand scheme of things (feed production, transportation, etc...) the animals themselves are not a major issue. We merely replaced historic horses and buffalo with cattle.

Kim likes this.
  15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I like a good meat hamburger but if around the Austin area and you like 24 diner, try the Betsy Beet Burger with cheese on it. You'll be surprised at how good it is. I'm not a vegan but I've had good vegan dishes that made me feel better after eating, kept me satiated for hours afterwards and genuinely tasted good. Does the beet burger taste like meat? No, but it doesn't taste like beets either. It's just good tasting and maintains an element of consistency when chewing that is similar to a beef patty. So, you just gotta find good vegan dishes that are actually tasty is all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#35 London'sBurning, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    peleincubus likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Studies are well under way to design the needed greenhouses that would be buried under the surface to produce the vegetables needed by those living and working there. Burying them would protect the plants, as well as the people of the research station/mining facility/colony from things like radiation and micrometeorites.

Plants would be grown hydroponically in water provided by recycled "gray water." Hopefully water from ice at the Lunar polar regions will be in abundance, mined and piped from there to wherever people are living and working. Light could be provided by fiber optic cables channeling sunlight from the surface, and the facilities would be cared for robotically, in my opinion. Whether those greenhouses could grow enough feed for cattle raised in the 1/6th gravity of the Moon, as well as filling the needs of the people there, eventually in large numbers, is something else altogether.

In my opinion, cattle might be raised that could handle the environment, the feed could be produced, but it would only happen if a meat eating multibillionaire was willing to make the enormous investment needed to do it, and at his or her stunningly expensive private facility. My guess is that long before the future equivalent of Musk, Bezos, or Gates decide to take on that task, they will instead pay the outrageous cost of bringing frozen beef out of the gravity well of Earth, fresh from the ranches of Texas or New Zealand.

Amazingly expensive, but still far less costly than what it would take to produce beef from cattle on the Moon. Besides, by then science will have come up with artificial "meat" that will genuinely taste close to the real thing, at least Select grade, in my opinion. "Beef" for those who aren't rich. A fascinating subject. I doubt that folks like me will be around to witness it, but many of you will, in my opinion. All that is needed is the will to do it. The science exists.

London'sBurning and tinman like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hopefully we'll see high quality 3d printed food in our lifetimes that'll solve the taste issue. That has its own consequences with the ongoing destruction of indigenous cultures and "the fabric of our society", but it does solve the food/enjoyment problem you get when meat alternatives like pure veg or even insects come into play.

It's a tricky issue because the next 20-30 years will host a bunch of environmental tipping points and "trial runs" (extreme 100-yr+ climate events) that will force people to question sustainability in things we take for granted.

I remember a decade ago where Bangladesh was highlighted as a migratory concern because most of their nation is a giant flood plain waiting to happen. If that area gets wrecked, you'd have floods and floods of 10m+ refugees crowding around borders of the world needing a new home.

For reference, Bangladesh has 9x more people than Syria.

"Forced" into not to eating meat is definitely a First World Problem.

Nook and tinman like this.
  19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is so great at describing America.

Nook likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Ostrich ? Tastes like beef and very lean