1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Herro would be great next to KPJ long term. If Stone can find a way to pair them up I’d be ecstatic.

Shark44 and Nook like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sure, he should practice the 3's in off season.

Vipers is development league if course but building good habits is part of player's development too.

If a player like KJ is not feeling it from 3, he needs to stop chucking it. Different if he is a sniper like Armoni.

KJ is very gifted but figuring out the pro game is going to require discipline and self awareness, especially on days he is cold.

Find other ways to be impactful and play WINNING ball when your trey has ghosted you.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Bender last year looked like he was making a mini break through and figuring it out. He is still only 23 years old.

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not agree.

Porter needs a Duncan Robinson/Klay Thompson type more than Herro.

Richie_Rich and Corrosion like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Herro is great off ball too but has the ability to run the offense too. KPJ and Herro are both combo guards with size to play the 2.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Herro was a better defender I'd agree.

EGo next to Porter is good enough for me. EGo will make sure Porter is in right position on defense AND provide good role model for effort on D.

Little Bit likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I can't believe a modern professional team can get 72 rebounds. KPJ before All-Star break.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

He isnt a lockdown shooter so why have him be off the ball?

He is a lot like James Harden his gift is his ball handling, high IQ, passing and aggression it isnt patience and shooting mechanics. Dude is shooting 3s in low 30s last thing you want is him spotting up.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I made a mistake he is 20 rn instead of 19.

I dont think theres a lot of difference between 19 and 20 in Porter's case cuz he didnt get a full year of development and training, first of all he landed in Cavs which is a **** org and keeps drafting their Irving replacement (Sexton, Okoro, Garland and KPJ when will it end lol) and secondly he was dealing with his personal demons his rookie year and thru out summer so he wasnt exactly focused on development. Its basically a blank year for him as far as I'm concerned they said he hadnt played ball in almost a year when he got to Houston.

Yeah Jonathan Kuminga is insane and should def go in the top lotto but just because he is great doesnt mean you discount what KPJ is doing. A 20 yr old doing what he does in GLeague would def go in late lotto at least IMO. And thats only cuz next years draft is deep AF in this year's draft if you try really hard you can prob convince yourself to take him over Edwards if you discount his offcourt issues (not that Edwards would go no 1 if they had a redraft though lol).

#709 roslolian, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  10. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Have you guys learned nothing from the Harden era? Do we really want another ball-dominant guard that scores 99% of the time unassisted? We saw how predictable that is, how it kills rotation players’ rhythm, and how easily that can be exposed by double teams.

Again, I repeat, I’m not arguing against KPJ being the primary ball handler. I‘m just saying I don’t see what’s wrong with sprinkling in a *little* off-ball action to make it easier for him. 85/15 on ball/off ball isn’t asking for much.

And that doesn’t necessarily have to be only spotting up. It can also mean cutting off the ball, running off a screen to receive the ball in a spot he likes to operate from, letting someone else bring the ball up once in a while, etc.

I’ve watched all his highlights, and it’s pretty much 95% unassisted. Now is the time to create habits, and an off-ball game should be in his toolbox to avoid running into the same problems we had with Harden.

CC’ing @Nook too because I see he’s also on the other side of this.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you see what Harden is doing on the Nets?

That is the right way to use Harden.

Silas and his off ball BS was the WRONG way.

#711 D-rock, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

Agree with using Harden the right way - but did Silas have a choice? You simply can’t have Wall playing off ball, that would have been disastrous.

D-rock likes this.
  13. csc177

csc177 Member

There’s shooting and there’s going 0-9 from 3. He needs to not shoot 3s. Work on that in the off-season, master/focus on rebounds, good defense and slashing during his time in the bubble.

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall is actually very good/efficient in catch and shoot.

But if there was any friction then Wall should have come off the bench.

Silas just did not have the balls to do it.

banzai likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

It's no wonder people turn on guys around here because they pump them up to ridiculous levels.

If he had all of that he would still be in Cleveland.

16. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Easier to use Harden the right way when you have KD and Kyrie on your team. Can’t send doubles.

No Worries and coachbadlee like this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah I’m not even sure Kuminga is great. It’s still
    pretty hard to gauge g league performance for these young kids. After all you have more mature pros like Harty that can go down and do Kanye but then are older and will have a clear ceiling in the NbA

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

You do realize that Harden was leading the NBA in assists even before he was traded to the Nets?

Harden is more efficient more productive than Wall as a PG, this irrefutable.

roslolian likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If that ball dominant guard can make us a contender like the last dominant guard then hell yes.

The reason he was so dominant is because of what he had around him and he had more than a 85/15 split when he had CP3 and Westbrook.

You don't know much about actual basketball if you think are problems where not playing of the ball.

It's especially telling that you using a guys highlights to tell you anything about what his game needs.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That Jeremy Lin kid is tearing it up from 3 in the G-League. We could use that kind of shooting. :D

EDIT : rats... just found out he got hurt. Oh well. There goes our savior.