1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Would you rather be first in line to get into HEB this morning in order to select from the just restocked shelves or 10th or 20th? Does it change your mind if you knew there was 1 gallon of milk, 1 case of water and 1 loaf of bread available? Having a pick is just like being in line at that heb and franchise altering players are like that single gallon of milk or case if water. All picks are not crated equal my friend. I suspect you know this but, for whatever reason, you're advocating for the middle or back of the line when we are really in need of some groceries. All so you can look through the window at the store (get strummed in the playoffs in this analogy).

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

as of now, 538 is still projecting us to finish 33-39 and 13th in the tank standings...maybe if they don’t get rid of guys and Wood comes back they could cobble up enough wins to make this projection come true...that would be the darkest timeline

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont pretend losing is not still being stuck in mediocrity... trying to tank like spurs is like tanking trying to draft michael jordan...lololol good luck with that...

spurs are the exception so much so that it could be attributed to pure luck and coincidence.... most of the other teams losing on purpose are still stuck in mediocrity and worse

cmlmel77 likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

look at this joy and hapiness....isnt this better than losing on purpose?

its a game over you pathetic losers!

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Dude u need to look up what mediocrity means. U r using it interchanging as a way to describe all bottom tier teams.

Tanking is purposefully making your team sht and losing on purpose for a better lottery pick. That and mediocrity aren't the same sht. Idk y I have to keep repeating myself.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

appreciate the creativity but imho not a great analogy... franchise changeing players can be found even in second round.. and it all starts with the mentality... if you are a loser not even a franchise changing player will help... youll most likely ruin him....
    learn to draft and draft and develop the next kawhi and the next giannis jokic butler isaah thomas

AND GDOAMN HIRE THE FREAKING SHOOTING COACH STONE!

learn to shop around and to make your own bread and grow your own meat its tastier and healthier
    i know its not a great analogy lolol but still its fun

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont get nitpicky with me, my point still stands
    you arent getting out of the mud by losing games on purpose... its childlish its pathetic
    its a p***y mentality!

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

man you were so happy when that fake tweet was published... its a shame it wasnt true!

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

u seem obsessed with me now

10. dmoneybangbang

We getting Kuminga with our top 4 pick this year.

sydmill, Trackwell and jnuge90 like this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

What's our pick situation this year? We only keep our own first rounder if we're top 4 (and OKC can swap to HOU the LAC or MIA pick--presumably LAC)? We also have BKN's late first rounder, and maybe POR and/or DETs 1s if they make playoffs? This looks like a solid draft. Lets see what Stone can do. I hope they tank for a top 4 pick...the odds are not in our favor but it's doable. Need MIN and some of CLE/WAS/OKC/ORL to improve.

#1071 awc713, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  12. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

WANT

sydmill, dmoneybangbang and Trackwell like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Keeps track of our picks:

http://www.tankathon.com/

BHannes2BHonest, Nolen and awc713 like this.
  14. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Who watched that game? Will that game be remembered tomorrow? Losing on purpose? After 2022 which of Exum, Tucker, EGo, Wall, Cousins, Dipo will be here? That is the reality. It's not a matter of IF these players will be off the team, it's a matter of when. If I know that now why wouldn't I try to begin assembling the team I will actually have going forward. It's not trying to lose, it's to win the games in 2022, 2023, and so on. The current reality is losing on purpose. There is no such thing as drafting right at 15-30, it's called luck and that's what the stats from history prove. Outliers don't define a strategy. You may want the Yaoless Rockets for the next 10 years, I don't think the fanbase does.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Losing means most likely keeping your first round pick and getting to add another young talented player to the roster. Striving for mediocrity means giving up that pick just so you can say you won another few pointless regular season games.

Those scenarios are NOT the same.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This is correct. Of all the many, many teams that have been very bad in the last decade, one (the Warriors) won a championship due to its lottery picks. And they peaked at 7.

Successful tanking is a massive outlier.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Nothing is guaranteed, you go with the highest odds of success, just because some people tanked the right and build their team up with it and dont win it, doenst mean they took the wrong approach. You guys have to stop acting like we are going to be building a super team through FA, its not going to happen.

18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Tanking isn't the strategy. Maximizing draft capital and assets is the strategy for at least two years before 2022 FA with two max slots. You can twist the truth however you want. History doesn't lie back to 1980. Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Warriors, LBJ, Rockets. We have 1, maybe 2 players on this team after 2022. Where are the other 6 or 7? This isn't rocket science. The Warriors at one point had 6 all stars and the refs and our team expected Harden and CP3 to beat them. Our fans excused CP3 and crucified Harden when we didn't one of the years. Again, you can embrace the Yaoless Rockets but I don't want that again. Those players certainly didn't either. They had the Lakers beat and still took them to 7 games. McGrady and Yao is a painful reminder like Harden and CP3 now are for us what happens when you don't get the job done. Why do you want to repeat that history? I would rather embrace the young players and give the future a chance.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Jeremy Lamb, Donatas Motiejunas, Terence Jones, Royce White, Sam Dekker, Terrence Williams, Marcus Morris, Patrick Patterson, Thomas Robinson

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

In what world does a culture of losing beat mediocrity if it instills not lessons into the young talent?