1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Power Grid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 17, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

btw, Biden has already said he plans on visiting Texas some time this week or next, saying he didn't want his presence (and traveling entourage) to get in the way or distract from recovery. He also quickly approved requests for federal aid.

Of course, "bennyjohnson" wouldn't have tweeted this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-texas-following-severe-winter-storm-n1258442

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

The original aid was approved last Sunday and I am guessing the full extent of how widespread the freeze was wasn't known. Texas senators cancruz and cornryn sent the request for all counties in Texas this Friday.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

( GOP think) It's not a problem until it happens!

TheFreak, DaDakota, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get the desire to just say that Trump isn't president anymore and we should move on. For any other Presidency I might agree with that but the Trump presidency wasn't any other presidency.

The assault on the Capitol was less than two months ago and we're still hampered by the deliberate lack of effort on the part of the last administration on dealing with COVID-19. That so many still support Trump and continue to use Trumpist rhetoric and even continue to live in denial regarding the Trump presidency shows that just moving on isn't possible or wise. Just forgetting Trump and treating his movement as done is likely going to lead to another Trump.

DVauthrin, T_Man and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't want to derail but...

All of this just move on... well, I think the nation would love to but it's quite difficult when Trump said he won and has not stated otherwise... he's still *should be* President in some eyes. Absolutely fair game to bring him up until he is truly gone from politic and presidential gunmanship (yes, gun). So, if Republicans and others really want the nation to move on from Trump and their dangerous games, don't get on the rest of us. Get on the guy and his supporters for refusing to move on.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice bit of integrity.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Moving on...

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You can't shove a stick in your front wheel while your bicycle is in motion and blame Trump. It will become old very fast to 'whatabout Trump' in every single discussion.

I'm not sure what Trump has to do with Texan arrogance of maintaining their own grid, deregulation in 99, and the lack of prepping their generators over the decades.

9. NewRoxFan

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. That, people, is an honest to god journalist. I'm not talking about Lt. Governor Patrick, who showed plain as day why a change in state government at the top, as well as our two United States Senators, is desperately needed.

There is no limit to the hypocrisy of Ted Cruz. While the US Constitution doesn't mention the ability to recall a US Senator, I would sign a recall petition directed at Ted Cruz, which should also include language demanding that he resign. Let hundreds of thousands of Texans sign such a document and have it make it's way to the US Supreme Court, which has never given a ruling on recalling an elected federal official. Make them give an opinion. I'd like to see it. If nothing else, the humiliation of Ted Cruz would make that worthwhile.

#270 Deckard, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is doing this?

People are comparing Trumps response to a crisis not blaming him for what happened and the tweet responded to was the one that brought Trump up.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think y'all aren't talking about the same thing. You're talking about one person, DJT.

I think @rocketsjudoka is instead talking about calling out certain extremes of executive governance and trying to help people realize we should try to avoid repeating that experiment in the future, because it could be much worse, and as I always say, it could come from the left or right. History shows awful examples of extremism from both camps of course.

Nobody's more ready to move on from DJT than me. But that he still has so much fervid support and people continuing to deny their own eyes (e.g. Jan. 6) should concern all of us.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. trump remains a very real danger to the Republic. Good point about this being beyond political parties, beyond "Left or Right."

14. NewRoxFan

Before:

After:

MadMax and B-Bob like this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

LOL Trump derangement syndrome gonna haunt you. Bro relax. Biden will have a smooth 4 years of total peace and economic prosperity so reelection is a piece of cake. Why are you so worried?

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes. This isn't just about Trump. It's about Trumpism and the amount of denial and grievance that is driving that movement. While Trump himself certainly isn't responsible for what happened in Texas the response from Abbot et al is very Trumpian.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe its important to keep thoughts in perspective. Its also important to understand all things ebb and flow and politics is no different. I never bought into 'Trumpism', not the belief, but the theory. Trumpism is just a name for this cycle. During the Obama administration, it was the tea party nonsense. Before that Rush Limbaugh was the center among others. In my 25 years of being an adult, I have observed its the same people get caught up in this rhetoric. Their primary position is to be anti-democrat/liberal, for better or for worse. Frankly I have become less concerned about it over the years and have become more concerned about what I perceive to be bigger issues. Over the next several months to a year, i see something more insidious creeping up. The lines are going to become more blurred.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

there’s actually a cap

What’s the chance that Cruz and republicans supported increasing the cap?

“ERCOT’s $9,000 price cap is the highest such cap in the nation. The System Wide Offer Cap stood at $1,000 per megawatt hour during the early years of deregulation, in 2012 it increased to $3,000, to $5,000 in 2013, to $7,000 in 2014 and finally to $9,000 in June of 2015.”

https://tcaptx.com/industry-news/ercot-real-time-prices-hit-record-9000-mark

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Trump concentrated a lot of those previous movements further he has become a rallying cry for those movements and to push many of the insidious issues.

Just the other day we passed 500,000 COVID-19 deaths. More than any other country. While if we had a different President we probably would've still had many many deaths it should be obvious that Trump's rhetoric and behavior made things worse. This isn't even just about his administration's policies but how he adopted the same attitudes of people who opposed steps like mask wearing and other measures to combat the disease. How he also fanned bias and bigotry with his rhetoric around the disease. It's no accident that many of those who oppose steps to fight the disease also happen to also be Trump supporters and those views tend to go hand in hand.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

BDSM will destroy you.