1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancun Cruz

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by seemoreroyals, Feb 20, 2021.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

What are the chances Cancun Cruz will leave or be removed from office over his decision to jet off to Cancun while those he represents remained at home, freezing, without electricity and water, burning furniture to stay warm, and in general going through a living nightmare?

Can a Senator such as Cruz be impeached or otherwise removed from office? Otherwise we are stuck with him until at least 2024.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He will be removed 99%

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The GOP will cover for him and deflect, they wont do a dam thing which is their playbook

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t think a Senator can or should be impeached over bad optics, which as far as I can tell is all this is.

AB likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don’t get this. Are there really any people mad about Cruz’s behavior who were totally fine with Trump’s selfish behavior? At least Cruz didn’t infect secret service agents with a dangerous virus just to get attention in a limo.

I just cannot understand this Venn diagram. You’re either okay with politicians who obviously don’t care about constituents... or you’re not.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The more relevant factor, as for any political decision, is how it will help or hurt them personally. Going after Trump is dangerous in that respect. Going after Cruz, not so much.

But, in any case, taking advantage of one’s wealth and sneaking out on vacation under a difficult situation isn’t an impeachable offense.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You think Cruz will be removed for this after he and Trump and Hawley already got away with killing a cop and attacking democracy?

Uuuuhhhhh.....

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, not sure why this is even a topic

Aside from some angry Tweets and posts on Reddit, nothing is happening to Ted Cruz. Will this even be a story by next weekend?

9. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

The reason I started this thread was that lately their has been a lot of impeachment activity abound. Trump's two impeachments. Discussions of impeaching Andrew Cuomo. I have begun researching past instances whereby a US Senator such as Hawley, Cruz, or any other impeachment worthy Senators going forward have been removed. It is as if the only way to get rid of an ingrate such as Ted Cruz is by voting him out of office once every six years.

I don't see Cruz's trip to Cancun as enough on it's own to have him removed even if there is a process to do so. Other than relying on the Senate to do something themselves which appears to be a longshot at best. I was hoping at some point Cruz, Hawley, and in the future others like them, could be held accountable for their role in perpetuating the BIG LIE. In many ways they were just as guilty as DJT in bringing about the failed coup attempt on Jan 6th. We are at a tipping point right now between democracy and autocracy. If those that have been leading an effort to overthrow our current form of government are not held accountable you can be sure that more attempts to overturn elections and other anti-democratic activities are sure to come.

It appears a US senator can be removed from office by impeachment if two thirds of the senate votes to convict. According to wikipedia quite a few senators were removed from office in 1861 and 1862 for their support in the confederate rebellion. Since then there has been quite a bit of impeachment trials of senators but no convictions. Several have resigned and a few have been censured. I don't see Cruz being impeached or resigning At best this poor decision by Cruz will shoot a hole in his attempt to run for President in 2024. I don't think he had much of a chance anyway.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I agree that this would affect his Presidential run and that he doesn’t have much of a chance to begin with, but as for Teddy in the Senate, he’s good...nothing will happen to him

I barely even hear Hawley’s name get mentioned anymore despite all that he did...his biggest consequence was having to find a different publisher for his book

the right wing does not hold their own accountable

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Maybe when Biden finally gets an Attorney General confirmed there will be some legal activity against Cruz and Hawley. It is no coincidence that the right wing is doing everything possible to put off confirmation hearings on Merrick Garland. They are probably thinking if he gets confirmed he may still have a chip on his shoulders because McConnell kept him off the Supreme Court. And they would probably be right.

12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Who and what? Trump faction of the GOP is a pile of garbage heap and for most Cruz and Trump are one of the same.

VooDooPope and seemoreroyals like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ve accepted that nothing will happen to the likes of Cruz and Hawley, I just have no reason to believe otherwise

this latest situation with Cruz will result in the same thing...angry tweets that will get people a lot of e-points and likes/retweets, or threads/posts on Reddit that will get a good amount of upvotes at the moment, but then ultimately result in nothing happening...it’s basically just another example of Teddy’s hypocrisy and sliminess that will get used against him on social media the next time he messes up

he can try and throw his daughters under the bus or weasel his way out, and he’ll succeed yet again...at best, he might get a tepid condemnation from someone on the right...the equivalent of a “tsk tsk,” and then it will be back to business as usual by next week

VooDooPope, B-Bob and London'sBurning like this.
  14. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Probably just as well. If Cruz was to resign I could only imagine who Abbott would appoint to replace him. Maybe Crenshaw or Dan Patrick? I think I would prefer Cruz. I just hate the thought of Cruz and Hawley getting away with such blatant disregard to the constitution. They are both supposed to be constitutional scholars. It is a dangerous time for us to have self-serving bozos like them representing us.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m right there with u man, I hate it so much too

until those on the right, and not just the ones in power, but the average citizens too, start holding their own accountable, trash cans like Hawley and Cruz will continue to get by consequence free

that one Republican Senator from Louisiana who did the right thing and voted to convict Trump got censured...that is the state of the current GOP

How many right wingers in TX would rather get spit on by Teddy as they suffer during a crisis than join the left in rightfully attacking him for his actions? Probably the majority of them.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Impeachment requires some level of illegal activity. Nothing Cruz did is illegal - it's just crappy, but you're legally allowed to be a crappy human being.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Zero

/thread

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He’s a smart guy and politically sharp (and a pos nonetheless) I just can’t understand his stupid behavior over the last 6 months

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I prefer Cancruz.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

That’s blasphemy