1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Not just a "dog". He is a very high IQ player like Dreymong. Also his reaction time is much much faster than any other Rocket we have had in a long time. He actually notices when loose balls happen and reacts instantly. He is great off cuts and moving off ball and has some great post moves. He is good at reading defenses too. The thing that stood out for me from day 1 is how alert he is, it as if he knows what is going to happen before it does and is always in the right spots.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I am a big fan. Seems to do everything well but shoot. I think he’s excellent defensively. I think he uses his body and wingspan well; he’s excellent down low -plays big. Does all of the dirty work. Always bings the hustle and BBIQ. Would love to see him become a good long range shooter. I think he’s a rotational player at worst. I agree his ceiling is limited because he’s undersized, but if he can improve his shot....

burlesk, Rashmon and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Name another 25-30 PPG player that played with Harden or CP3. You are basically saying he's a bona fide star.

And don't insult my fandom please. I watch every game and watch Tate specifically.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i could score 20 a game if i shot more, and i was born during the Eisenhower administration.

Jontro and roslolian like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s got dream potential

There, I said it

Jontro and sydmill like this.
  6. HROZ

HROZ Member

Honestly I feel like

Hayes upgraded to Tucker who has upgraded to Tate.

A bit early to say that.

But that's how I feel.

All 3 are maybe the best defenders I've seen perimeter or post.
    Tucker added a 3pt shot to what Chuck had.
    Tate added some playmaking to what Tuck had.

joshuaao, Jontro and fryjol7 like this.
  7. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wood Production with Harden who throws lobs vs Wood Production with Dipo who can’t PnR or throw a lob

If you watch Tate closely like you say then you see the 2-3 times a game he cuts and is open and Wall or Gordon misses him .. that’s 4-6 points

and yea if he was more aggressive he would score more - his skill set isn’t the problem

8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt you could score more than House if you shot more

9. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Right now he is a solid rotation player. His ceiling is likely as an impact player, but not a star and certainly not an AllStar. He needs a better catch and shoot 3. Rockets comps if he continues to round out his game; Tucker, Elie.

10. s3ts

s3ts Member

Tate is the real deal if the stupid-ass front office can get this man the PT he deserves.

Eurostep, finishing at 8 ft with nice footwork and fadeaway, and a 3 pt shooting form that works. This roster demands that Tate develops his offensive game, and he has delivered.

We're talking about the return of Linsanity, except the man is twice as strong, and can defend any wing, even some at 4.

Lets also not forget, the guy freaking works hard. He doesn't take days off. I have ZERO problems handing this guy money thinking he'll stop improving. He's got a fire in him that doesn't give a **** about anything but the W.

And that's fine that he works hard, because he's got a body that can handle it. It's freaking amazing. If I saw Wood playing this way I'd be so freaking worried. I got 0 worries for Tate.

#90 s3ts, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Nelly likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Artest also was not 25 his rookie year.

Artest had also showed much more to his game by the time he was 25.

Did I mention that Tate is 25?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did I Mention that Tate just got to the NBA
    and only now benefiting from NBA Training and direction

Rocket River

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

16 pts/ 38% from threes/and some A- defense.
    I would take that.

burlesk likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did I mention that Tate has never shown the all around ability that Atest did while in college or before 25 years of age.

NBA training does not give you different skillsets, it allows you to build on the skills you already have.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah. It's like comparing Gerald Wallace to Kawhi Leonard.

I like Tate but he is nowhere near peak PJ Tucker. For starters PJ Tucker is an inch taller (yeah its only an inch but for shorties every inch matters) and he is a career 35% from 3 and was hitting 37% as a Rox. Tate so far is 32% so still a long way from Tucker territory. Tate is more versatile but he cant defend and hit 3s at an elite level yet like peak PJ Tucker.

It's hard to say what Tate's ceiling is cuz he is already 25 yrs old. Remember House was also already 25 when he got discovered, people back then were saying sky is the limit for House but he has marginally improved and tbh actually regressed since his breakout year.

But maybe House is just lazy AF, its pretty clear dude took the wrong lessons from Harden and didnt put in a lot if any work during the offseason ever since he got paid. Unlike House Tate is someone who has experienced the bitterness of leaving everything behind to work pennies (in comparison to NBA) abroad. For most people its too late for regrets when that happens but in Tate's case he experienced it first so maybe he'll take his NBA shot more seriously.

I guess we'll see I mean if Wood can go from league dropout at age 24 to All Star level at age 25 there's no reason Tate can't do so as well.

If you ask me though who I think has star potential its just Wood and Porter Jr for me right now. Tate and Kmart its just too early to tell.

fattz and burlesk like this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

From the 538 article posted in another thread:

fattz likes this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Well actually Tate was more obvious than Jones in my opinion. Jones is more of a guy that has a lot of potential since he hasn't really played much organized basketball.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Tate is a much better player than House .... he's hungry for success , not content to have a roster spot..

The guy's a smart player who doesn't make many mistakes , create in a pinch and can defend 1-4. He's not a finished product either ....

If he develops a consistent 3 ball on top of everything else , he'll be a MLE type guy in the future.

House is a horrible defender who's a liability unless his 3 ball is falling.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tate is a solid player, who i envision should b with alongside wood after we begin rebuilding or attempt to reload into a competitive team.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member