1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Feb 18, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Guy has a nose for the ball.

he looks pretty athletic. I wonder how his body continues to develop in the nba .

how can his lateral quickness hold up ? His length is good , not great .

I’m very impressed with Tate . His IQ and instincts are already sky high . Can he continue to get better and improve his offensive skillset/ IQ ?

anybody remember Mike Harris (from rice)? I’d say the body is pretty similar . Tate is a bit smaller and of course Tate is already better .

I like artest and battier . But both of those guys had serious length advantages on Tate . Ron had 20 lbs on him at least .

Bonzi Wells ?

draymond is actually a good one . Draymond is longer and a bit bigger . Which matters 1-5 . But can Tate reliably go 1-4 or 2-4 ? (Neither draymond not Tate has the agility to stick with the smaller quick guys like Schroeder who I ****ing hate ; but long guys can use that to be successful with great positional D like ariza)

if Tate can shoot 36% on 3 he will have a 10 year career .

the white chandler parsons ?

hakeem94 and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's the kind of guy you need when you're a contender.

I'd extend and develop him. The sooner the better, his price will go up quickly once he has proven he can't be left open from 3.

Wood, KPJ and Tate are a good trio to develop while we wait to acquire a franchise player and draft an All star.

Bo6, snowconeman22 and D-rock like this.
  3. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Did you really just call Bonzi Wells a 3 level scorer and an above average shooter?

The same Bonzi Wells, who in his most prolific 3 point shooting season attempted 2 3's per game, and shot 69% on freethrows for his career?

Does this mean Tate is a 3 level scorer and above average shooter? Cause right now his shooting numbers and percentages are pretty similar to Bonzi's.

4. riko

riko Member

He is way more entertaining to watch then John the brick wall going into iso ball hog mode Or Dipo

D-rock likes this.
  5. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Show some respect for Bonzi "His Majesty" Wells.

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2008/12/30/704865/bonzi-wells-plays-in-china
    For starters, the appropriate way to refer to Bonzi in China seems to be "His Majesty"

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes I did, bonzi was a 33% 3 point shooter in a time that not many people were shooting a lot of 3's and Artest has a lower EFG than Bonzi.

Artest was a 34% 3 point shooter and his overall shooting percentage was 41% as opposed to Bonzi being at 46%

So you no longer think Artest was a 3 level scorer?

Tates shooting numbers are higher now are because he is a 5th option.

Try again.

7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He makes good decisions on the floor and doesn’t go outside his box. He is a rookie - too early to say. We shipped out dragic and lowery. Not saying he’s an all star, but I have a feeling he’ll get better as the game slows down.

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He plays with no fear. At his size, he just went right at Zion Williamson and made him blink. Even stars admire that kind of attitude.

D-rock likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Incredibly useful piece, provided you can pair him next to James Harden.

KEEPER

10. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I think his ceiling is Mario Elie with more ability to create for others. Nwaba is in the same projection.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

correct, he is a Piece, and useful in the right context. Robert Horry was a Piece, but he did not (as Bill Walton once suggested) re-invent the small forward position.

in the days of More Ray, the Rockets had a habit of bringing in a Piece from a championship team (Trevor in his first go round) to be The Man here. JST is a man child, but I doubt he will ever be The Man. value him for who he is, nay, keep him and let him thrive.

just don't build around him

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yes, yes you are.

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Look I love this guy and he's one of the main highlights and attractions when I watch the Rockets (which is every game)

But let's be realistic

Can't shoot the 3
    Undersized for a wingman
    Cutting is subpar
    Driving, posting up and finishing is his main hustle right now but no playoff team wants or needs him to do those things

Fun player while we are rebuilding but unless he can improve on his 3PT FG% he's just a fun player to watch while we are rebuilding. Much better than watching and having Horny House on the team chucking 3s and be a braindead pole on defense

#73 W22_STREAK, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Mason Jones, and now Tate. Just give them Co-Rookie of the Year award already.

basso likes this.
  15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tate could easily score over 20 a game if he shot more, I see at-least 3-4 times a game he cuts open and doesn’t get hit with a pass, Boogie is our best passer to cutters ... if Harden or CP3 was here Tate would have a 25-30pt game under his belt but with Olidipo Wall or Gordon running the show they just don’t see those cuts.

He’s great finishing and noticed teams started playing him to spin left so he now dribbles or fakes right before using the spin

3ball needs to improve

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

The cold weather must be getting to your brain?

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no one is saying he is Artest right now
    Hell Artest wasn't Artest his rookie year

Rocket River

D-rock and basso like this.
  19. st012m

st012m Member

I'd love to see Tate used more as a facilitator. He makes quick reads. Quicker than others who end up in the middle of the five out offense and has to figure out whether he's going to drive, kick, or on the rarest of rare occasion shoot a middie.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s had 2-3 19 point games without them even trying to goto him or him hunting shots for himself. You just be crazy to think he wouldn’t hand a 25/30 point game with Harden or CP3.

and I watch every game, you prob just a box score watcher

s3ts, Swapshop and Rocket River like this.