1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s talk generators...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Screw this noise. I’m going to put in an automatic, tied into my house’s breaker natural gas (dual fuel if possible) genny.

What’s the non-sales-pitch recommendation?

#1 Xerobull, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    ramotadab and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

We got a Generac after Ike and it was wonderful. When we sold our house to move to California, we had pics of the property and neighborhood showing how we never flooded and marketed the fact that we had a whole house generator. This was the May after Harvey. We sold for over asking price within two weeks of putting it on the market. At the time, our house sold higher than any other house had ever sold in that neighborhood by $35k. While we had it, we never had to worry about power ever. Anytime the power went out, it would kick on within a minute. It was glorious having a bright, glowing house at the end of our cul-de-sac when everything else was pitch black.

ROCKSS, STR8Thugg, CCity Zero and 5 others like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

how much did you spend on that

ramotadab and Amiga like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

Is the generator fueled by propane and propane accessories?

[​IMG]

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

ramotadab likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's the first thing you'll say when it turns on.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Never had to use it the last 7 years since purchase. Occasionally would lament having to perform routine maintenance on something that was never used.

It was in use from Monday - last night this week continuously without any issues. Went off automatically as soon as the power came back. It was worth everything. Ready to sign up for lifetime maintenance plans. Our children barely noticed there was a life-threatening freeze taking place... the only thing they noticed that their normal streaming options weren't available due to lack of internet service (which also came back after the power came back).

Definitely go with the one you're looking at. Connected to the natural gas line. You should also get the automatic transfer switch as it really takes all effort out of the process.

9. Surfguy

Nick, what is the annual maintenance upkeep and costs on the unit that you were lamenting?

ramotadab, TWS1986 and Xerobull like this.
  10. Xerobull

Awesome!!!

Yeah, Generac seems to be the consensus.

Not to throw shade, but the housing market bubble is real and right now a generator might not up my sales price enough to cover the cost. However, it is a top factor I'm thinking of with purchasing one, the other two being obviously continued power and also the ability to write it off since I office at home.

I can probably get them very close to cost when there's lower demand, too. Unfortunately, that's not now....

Did your model have dual fuel? If natural gas is knocked out I want the ability to pour some good old fashioned gasoline in mine.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Similar to Master Baiter we invested in a Generac 17kW generator shortly after Hurricane Ike. This is enough to power the whole house including A/C, heat, etc. We have a single-story, 3 bed/2 bath house about 2,200 sq ft. It includes the control box that automatically turns on the generator within 10 seconds of detecting an outage and is fed by our natural gas line from the meter. There is an option to connect propane tanks to it if the natural gas line isn't functioning. As others have mentioned it turns off automatically once power is restored. All in it was just shy of $9k installed and we do pay for annual maintenance which is about $300/yr and they come out twice a year to change the oil, perform full system tests, and inspect and clean the unit.

It definitely was worth it this week when the power was out for 3 days! My brother, his wife and two dogs have been staying with us since their neighborhood power is out. Other than the constant generator noise (not much louder than a lawn mower), and low water pressure, it was life as usual. Fortunately our Xfinity internet service only went out for a day.

Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

#11 Tommyboy, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Kim, CCity Zero, ramotadab and 3 others like this.
  12. Surfguy

Can we all come stay in your cozy, powered bomb shelter when the Sun unexpectedly gives off huge solar flares that nobody was expecting that will boil the blood of any living thing still on the surface?

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I know they have duel fuel nat gas and propane ones, I've never heard of one that runs on nat gas and diesel.

14. Xerobull

Yeah seems a little incongruous but what do I know? I’ll pay more for the backup backup utility.

I guess I could get Hank Hill out to set me up with some propane just in case.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Always an open door to friends and family.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Surfguy

This is good news, friend. ;)

Xerobull and Tommyboy like this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I didn't lose power at any point this week...my mom did, but because of the generator she got over the summer, she didn't have to come stay with me.

10/10

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

That’s funny. Her nickname for me is ‘The Generator’.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Because you're only turned on once a year. At least that's what she told me.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sure the price will go up but got a Generac quote through Costco last year and it was $13K.

Xerobull likes this.