1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. raining threes

Say Stone is picking in the 7-10 range, would you rather trade for Collins and extend him, or roll the dice? Most lotto picks in that range don't pan out to be as good as Collins. I don't know much about this years draft class other than it's supposed to be deeper than most from what I've read.

Downside is that Collins is probably going to get the max.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You should be able to see if a player is star material by the end of his rookie contract, which is four years. There are only very few players who didn't look anything special in the first few years and then blossomed into elite status.

sydmill likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ok. I’m just offering an explanation as to why they might have decide to leave out the drafts after 2013 in the study of draft slots eventually becoming all stars.

My guess is that it throws off the numbers too much counting all the younger guys as “non all stars” at their draft slot when they haven’t been in the league that long.

peleincubus, Easy and HP3 like this.
  4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Collins is a little better than Kyle kuzma but the max he is not.

napalm06 likes this.
  5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

No way!
    You have to start with getting a player to build around. We don’t have that player yet. Collin never will be that player. He is a complimentary piece.

6. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Time for Aid. Situation is Made for Cade.

Trackwell and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. Raven

Raven Member

Rockets only keep their pick if it's top 4, right?

Trackwell likes this.
  8. juanming

juanming Member

There are some on here that think we are closer to the playoffs than the top four pick

That is not true

I just looked at the standings for both conferences and we are only one game out from the top four slot in the lottery

We need to keep losing I know it sucks but it would feel even worse to make the playoffs and get stomped in the first round

We are so close to finishing our rebuild.. in a couple years kpj will be 22 wood will be 27 kmj will be 22 plus we have Mason Jones jury's still out on him... Point is that is a good core in a couple years of young guys to compete for a championship we just need to add a third Superstar to go along with wood and kpj..

That's the draft this year and next.. we need to tank the next couple of years and then in 2023 we will be the start of a dynasty cross my fingers

9. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

That’s IF we decide to tank the rest of the year. That’s IF we land in the top 4. That’s IF who we draft is a generational talent. A lot of if’s there.

Otherwise, I think we’ll have to tank in 2022 as well to fully complete the rebuild.

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  10. Big B

Big B Member

Yes but don’t they just swap spots with the Thunder (who also have a terrible record)? If so then may just be a matter of moving down a couple spots.

Trackwell likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

3rd superstar? The Rockets haven’t even found their 1st superstar yet.

luckyman76, Trackwell, Drogba and 2 others like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Ugh.... feel so unclean for rooting for the GSW to beat the Heat but we need the Rox, Heat, and OKC to stay close in rankings.

Trackwell likes this.
  13. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Right !!! We don’t have a superstar. Woods has a chance but he is about it on this current roster. And I’m not being glass half empty when I say that we are much further away from really competing.

I’m cool with any pick in the top four, there are some great talents in the top five. If I can have anybody I want Jonathan Kuminga or Jalen Suggs ... Cade and Green are great too. I got a good feeling about this.

14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

yes!

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... so Morey never had a high lottery pick because he wasn’t allowed to tank and that really limited the talent on the roster. The closest thing to a good lottery pick was from the Lowry trade... and that pick turned into ... James Harden.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Roll the dice.

Collins is a really good young player but paying him the max and losing a mid lottery pick is a lot to swallow.

The Rockets can always make a run at him this summer. A mid lottery pick is still pretty valuable and this draft has a lot of depth in that 6-12 range.

raining threes likes this.
  17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Results were all horrible for the Rockets tonight. Minnesota, Detroit, New Orleans all lost.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Magic and Wizards won. Rockets need to go for worst overall record. If you’re going to tank don’t do it half assed.

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Yes, I believe so otherwise it is a swap with OKC.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Why the Heat?