1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Wouldn’t bet against it either. He intends too.

No Worries likes this.
  2. raining threes

Thanks for the information about prospects.

I didn't like the Baez deal, there was better value to be had out there. IMHO I particularly didn't like the fact that Click signed Castro and especially for two years.

Nook likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

#2683 awc713, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

If healthy, Correa could be better than 2 or 3 of those guys.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

good deal for both sides imo

Tatis makes $ now.

padres get a great caliber player for < 25 mil a year. If tatis was still good in 5-6 years maybe they knew they wouldnt be able to justify the 35+ mil he could command.

If he really wants to go , he can waive the NT clause.

seems like contract will have just as good of value the second half as it does the first.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

There is nothing to address.

Teams cheated long before the Astros and still are.

The Dodgers were cheating last year in the playoffs.

The Red Sox won a title cheating after the Astros won their title.

You are very naive to what has and does go on in baseball.

From pep pills, to abusing prescription medication for increased focus and concentration, to illegal substances widely used to change the movement of pitches. The game is and long has been full of rampant cheating.

When I worked for the Astros players freely and openly discussed it with other players in the bullpen and warming up.

So be a hypocrite if you wish.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah no.... the team he left behind isn’t about a .500% team and it should compete if not win the division through 2025 so his record would have been far beyond .500% and that doesn’t even take into account how bad the team was that he took over.

It also wasn’t really a bottom 5 farm system seeing how Tucker, Javier, Valdez and Urquidy performed last year in their first extended time in the big leagues.

You don’t have to like him but the idea that he was around a .500% GM is insincere and absurd.

Looking at the players he drafted, signed, developed and traded for and the juggernaut the team was the last 4 years he was GM and the window that still existed when he left all are amazing. He was amazingly good and successful.

8. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

No character, no integrity. Okay, got it

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It seems like you are willing to completely exonerate Luhnow for 2 things that I think color his legacy:
    He presided over the 2nd worst 3 year stretch of baseball in MLB history.
    He made enough enemies in the league that they fragged his ass (and the Astros org). I’m not even blaming him for cheating, but I do think he is responsible for getting caught and for creating the kinds of relationships in the league that made people want to see him go down.

If you ignore those 2 things, then I totally agree he was an amazing GM. But that he was .500 during his tenure isn’t insincere, it’s a simple fact.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A very large if.

RockFanFirst likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

12. Nook

Nook Member

LOL

Is a fan of a game with rampant cheating for over one hundred years.

Calls out one team for cheating, fails to realize that cheating is rampant to the point that it is woven into the game.

Okay.... got it.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

I think Luhnow did a solid job by all accounts, but he also very much lucked into Springer, Altuve, and Kuechel...and we don’t go anywhere significant without that trio.

14. Nook

Nook Member

As for #1, no I don't for several reasons. The first reason is that he was hired on 12/8/11. The team had just come off a season going 56-106. That was the worst record in baseball. So the team was already the worst when he took over. What followed were two more seasons roughly as bad as the team was before he took over....... and then the team started to improve, and by his 4th year they lost in the ALDS, what followed were two World Series and two ALCS births..... and a team that will be good for the 4-5 years..... So no, I am not going to blame a GM that takes over a 106 loss team that the next two seasons were just as bad, especially not when he is rebuilding through the draft and player development.

As for #2, I agree that he deserves some blame for getting caught as well. He also should have fired his assistant GM as soon as there was a problem. I don't really think people were unhappy working in the Astros organization under Luhnow though. That isn't what I heard at all at the time and I have a good friend that worked way up the ladder with Luhnow and loved it. I am not going to claim that Luhnow was a master at reading public perception. I understand why he took Osuna, the Cubs and Yankees had Chapman with only mild resistence. However when it came to the Assistant GM, he should have realized that the media was out to destroy him and by proxy the Astros.

As a side note, I can tell you that they all knew about the trash cans after speaking to someone that would know for certain. They also didn't think it was a big deal, especially the players.

No Worries, jiggyfly, awc713 and 3 others like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Surprised you're putting up a good fight here... he has an agenda, always has had one, and no amount of facts, logic, proof, evidence, or simple math is going to change his mind.

TWS1986, CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say medium... he's probably due for a run of the mill sprained ankle or quad issues... not the freak rib fracture during massage or thumb ligament tear when caught on a catchers gear while sliding.

Altuve needs health. One more bad year and fully justified to say his contract would be a 'problem'. Hopefully his playoffs would equate to what would normally be him hitting a hot streak during a 162 game season that puts things back on track.

Brantley has been surprisingly injury free after having the Correa "can't stay healthy" label attached to him for his entire career.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It look like it is just a 1 year deal. So the A's have less long term risk and the player makes a slightly inflated salary. Win win for both sides.

I wasn't expecting the Astros to get him. Just wish he wasn't on one of the better teams in our division.

Nook likes this.
  20. Screaming Fist

Do you think he would have been .500 in his tenure had he not been fired? The team is set to compete for the next 3-5 years because of some diamonds in the rough he and his FO found in Framber, Urquidy, Javier, etc. Plenty of teams have tanked in the past thirty years but none of them turned that tanking into 300+ wins across three consecutive seasons.

It's also not like he took a decent franchise and ripped it to the studs - the franchise was a disaster when he arrived both at the major league and minor league level. Even the eventually good players were scrubs at the time such as the pre-sinkerballer Keuchel and the slap hitting Altuve.