1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. marky :)

marky :) Member

What did you do as a temporary fix?

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Our power was out for about 24 hrs, so we went to in laws. Our power is back on, but no water (apparently a lot of Spring Branch doesn't have water and/or really low pressure). We've been here since Monday evening, so I am ready to leave. Hopefully roads aren't too bad tomorrow. I'll go check the house and see if we have water, and if we do, I'm ready to get out of here (after thanking them for being a good host...just ready to sleep in my own bed and get the kids back on a regular schedule).

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Good luck with that. Once people get power back, it’s gonna be like Times Square in everybody’s house.

jiggyfly, gatsby, B-Bob and 6 others like this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They're basically saying, chill out with the heater. Everything else in the house is almost negligible.

Sajan likes this.
  6. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

I don’t believe pipes freezing is the problem. The problem is water in the pipes freezing and then expanding which busts the pipe. If you don’t have water in your pipe you should be fine.

If you don’t have power and have water, you should shut off your main water line and drain the pipes so the water in the pipes can’t freeze. If you do have power, keeping your home warm should be sufficient to keep the water in the pipes from freezing.

atleast that’s my understanding...

ramotadab, B-Bob and Kim like this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you are in spring branch, having power at one time does not mean it will be there for future. Several work places tried to open based on which buildings had power the previous night and it all changed.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Pipe burst. Fucm

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I was only able to do a temp fix on one of them, but I used some 1 inch id hose and some hose clamps to patch up the joint that had its solder fail and it worked well.

I don't have access to the other break because it's in a spot in a hole drilled in a wooden beam so the house still has no water. For that one I'd need about 8 inches of new pipe, a copper pipe cutter, and some couplings to fix.

marky :) likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

get well soon

ramotadab likes this.
  11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Is online part ordering an option? I know it might take time but it also might be the fastest way to get parts and tools. As a temp fix can you cut and cap that section of pipe or is a the main line? If you can't find copper pipe, maybe do a copper to PEX to copper transition if can find the 1 foot sections of PEX they sell at Lowes or Home Depot. And I know some people don't like them but I've used Sharkbites over the years and never had one go bad - and crazy easy. Just make sure you get a straight, clean cut. If online ordering is a problem, I can get some parts locally and send them if you need.

B-Bob, Bobbythegreat and JumpMan like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Got 6 hours and now back in the dark .

Better prepared this time.

Sajan likes this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Was listening to Texans radio tonight for who the hell knows why, and Vandermeer and John Harris were comparing the power outages to hurricane situations, but Vandermeer pointed out this feels worse bc when it’s a hurricane once power goes back on it tends to stay on. I think that’s mostly true. The complete uncertainty with all this has made my anxiety crazy. I worked out 5 times today to deal with the stress of everything.

I love snow and Monday was cool and all, but Geezus we need to get it together.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

DONNY DARKO WAS RIGHT!!!

[​IMG]

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Everyone dies alone?

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hard for people to do when they are coming off of 20, 40, 60 + hours without electricity. People are going to try to get there homes as warm as possible as fast as possible in fear of another long term shut off.

ramotadab, JumpMan and Sajan like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I noticed a pattern with our electricity

2 nights in a row it was shut off right around 10pm

It came back on for roughly 20 minutes every 3 hours until 4pm the next day, at that point it stayed on until 10pm

Essentially gave us a bed time, and had it shut off during work/school hours, with small breaks of electricity every couple of hours, and one big 6 hour block of electricity during the afterwork/school till bedtime hours

It makes sense, but as a house that works from home, has kids that aren’t in school, still sucks. Hoping tonight is the last night of this ****, but with roughly 1 in 10 Houston residents not having power at any given time, who knows.

Rodman23, TWS1986 and B-Bob like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Texas out here lookin like Venezuela

jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.