1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JuanValdez, What Happened To The Grid?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Biden saving trumpanzee idiots while they're plotting and scheming in the shadows to win it back in 4.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

So you think it’s more because they are just poorly prepared? I really don’t know what’s going on and info would be good right now

3. Nook

Nook Member

He is a bigger man than me. I love Texas... but if I were President I would at least make them squirm

HP3 and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

I'd be on board with relief, but at the very end ask for a little favor to send Paxton to jail

...transferred in a mask like Hannibal Lecters.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don’t know either. It does sound like without regulation, they didn’t spend money to make their system more reliable (weatherizing is optional instead of mandatory) and they couldn’t bring in power from outside the state to help handle the massive decrease in supply + increased demand. I also find it’s hard to believe that they (multiple independent power generators, I assume) could but would rather risk lives and properties for profit during an emergency.

joshuaao, Invisible Fan and HP3 like this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

https://energytalkingpoints.com/texas-electricity-crisis/

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Energy Talking Points? From the coal and gas providers? :oops: Embarrassing.

Gas and coal power plants provide 2/3 of power to Texas. Some of them went down during this emergency and that was one of the major culprit here. Another was the inability to bring in power from outside the state. This happen in 1989 and 2011 also.

8. Invisible Fan

Need moar coal.

Moar jerbs.

MOAR POWAR!!!

Nook, jo mama and R0ckets03 like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article...torm/285-76ea495b-b67b-4cb7-8f1a-47f0fb4b4234

Cause a problem
    Then price gouge and profit off the problem

I wonder how much of their money
    Is in Hot Wheels' slimey back pockets

Rocket River
    Time for a class action suit
    Against all this vileness

HP3 likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

The problem is....I’m not entirely sure if it’s this or just poor preparation for this snow storm and being on an independent grid.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

HP3 likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

I hope everyone and theirs stays safe in this period.

On a side note, hopefully people realize the state or regionalist bragging doesn't help the overall situation. We should all pull together to help others and ignore blowhards like a Crenshaw or Jared Kushner who want to paint this into a zero sum political game.

dobro1229 and B-Bob like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

IBTL and Andre0087 like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

When Norway can manage renewable energy while being the 5th coldest country on the planet....you know that article is BS. Texas put up the wind farms without winterizing them. That is the issue. They also didn’t winterize the plant’s themselves.

Andre0087 and HP3 like this.
  15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topic...ewable-energy-production-in-norway/id2343462/

I'm for renewable energy but it's a bit misleading to expect a state as big as Texas to be able to provide most of it's renewable energy from hydro dams. Were there big enough and diverse enough bodies of water all over Texas that made hydro based energy feasible I'm sure the manpower and money would have already been invested.

I haven't been affected by any power or water outage where I live, so this is easier for me to say than someone without power for multiple days now, but I'm less concerned with the cluster**** going on right now as much as I hope all parties responsible and parties that are able to hold those responsible accountable, will invest in solutions to make sure the next time we run into a series of winter storms like this, the energy grid will be able to handle it.

If whatever contributions that lead to this outcome aren't remedied in the future, then we will have learned nothing from this. I mean the Fukushima nuclear reactor thought it had the safety mechanisms in order to protect against tsunamis and earthquakes only to realize that wasn't the case in extreme circumstances. Instead of crying foul play that their defensive measures to mitigate a nuclear reactor meltdown weren't enough, they instead continue to invest more heavily in safety mechanisms to hopefully better mitigate the next tsunami or earth quake that hits that nation. In other words they're learning from their mistakes.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

https://www.congress.gov/bill/95th-congress/house-bill/5146

https://capitol.texas.gov/billlookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=74R&Bill=SB373

https://capitol.texas.gov/billlookup/History.aspx?LegSess=76R&Bill=SB7

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tslac/20084/tsl-20084.html

https://www.electricchoice.com/blog/guide-texas-electricity-deregulation

Not trying to post smoking gun stuff here. It just appears these are the two Senate Bills primarily responsible for shifting to a deregulated energy market. It doesn't cover extra safety standards for suboptimal weather like what we're experiencing now. Just the purpose of the bills and a better understanding of how the energy market in Texas is monitored.

#36 London'sBurning, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    jiggyfly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

That highlights a weakness in unfettered greed. The author of Black Swan Event, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, wrote another book called Anti-Fragile which will become just as much a catchphrase in the near future.One of its main points is that the more we optimize and make the process a lot more efficient, the more brittle and weak it becomes to disruptive events.

A space shuttle or rocket ship has all these redundancies that take time and effort to make sure they work. Launches have been canceled just because a backup didn't switch correctly. In turn, if something unexpected happens in the main system, those backups save the crew from dying in a fire. They might even be able to go back home without a hitch, while people scramble in the background to figure out what happened and reduce the chances of it happening again.

Things like our global supply chain are fragile, but in turn you can order an Apple Pencil and get it manufactured and delivered on your doorstep within 2 weeks. This means coordination from Apple as a point of sale, the martialling of parts across different parts of the world, assembling those parts half an earth away, shipping the finished product on a boat that crosses different ports of delivery, landing in a foreign custom with all the usual red tape, contracting a delivery service to ship it to your doorstep.

I don't think anything has happened in that scale and speed in our entire history.

But...I still want 1 day shipping.

Everything is great until something breaks because our Prime mode of thinking is to get things done and out as quickly as possible.

Which is fine except for cases where you can literally die in a fire.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Preppers are having a field day....

Nook likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Thanks to your Republican friends. Go to Florida. Im sure Trump will keep you warm, with food and water.

deb4rockets and HP3 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We got windfarms in MN, IA, and some huge ones in the Dakotas. Wind turbines can operate very well weather far colder that what you're seeing now in TX.