1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yawn.

You’re good. You need to be the Texans PR guy. The truth is, It was yet another good ole boy hire by an organization that’s a sinking ship. Cal is idiot and Easterby has him on a string. Almost EVERYONE can see it. With Caserio being Easterby’s boy it isn’t surprising that they reached the conclusion they did. But if you believe that the Texans pulled off some super astute business move by hiring Easterby’s boy then drink the kool aid my friend.

Sooty likes this.
  2. Mattician

Mattician Member

Look, I don't think the Texans should trade Watson. He's a once in a decade type quarterback. The Texans aren't guaranteed to ever find a quarterback as good as him.

But still ignoring the Texans' front office is getting kind of annoying, if true. He needs to cooperate whether he doesn't want to play or not.

I don't blame for him all of his frustrations. I understand why. He's handled it as good as he could these past few months. But the elephant is out of the room now. He wants out, that's fine. Time to talk and see what happens.

#1662 Mattician, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Sooty likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

Why should he meet with them? He doesn’t want to discuss his grievances and he doesn’t want reconciliation. He wants to be traded and has zero interest in taking phone calls from the Texans and he will not be playing for the Texans in 2021.

The Texans can always reach out to his agent. Taking phone calls or meeting with the Texans only gives the Texans hope, when Watson has no desire to work things out.

Fans don’t have to like it, just like they didn’t like the Harden situation... but just like Harden, Watson will end up being traded. The ineptitude and harm is done as far as Watson is concerned. Andre Johnson, JJ Watt and Arian Foster have seen it and either regretted not getting out or want out now.

SWTsig, Shark44 and raining threes like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Why? Why should he talk or listen to the Texans? That doesn’t get him any closer to being traded. He wants nothing to do with the Texans franchise, he wants to be on another team.

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

What in that article has proven to be spot on?

7. raining threes

Agreed,

Wonder if he has zero interest in giving up that $27 million signing bonus.

8. raining threes

Exactly

9. raining threes

As a fan all you can do is hope they finally got the guy they really wanted in Caserio and he can rebuild the team. He certainly has the credentials. If Caserio was coming from anywhere but the Pats fans would be upbeat about the hire and Caserio running the franchise.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I think he has the right to do that. But, he will go to whatever team gives the best package or he can sit.
    He doesn’t get to dictate the package received just because he doesn’t want to be here, even with the no trade clause.
    If he starts trying to pull that type of stuff I would go scorched earth on him.

stevel and raining threes like this.
  11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

DW4 being pissed for starters but also that Rootes had essentially resigned but would wait to announce it. The only person who has refuted the report has been Pancakes out of all people. Even Cal admitted to talking to Easterby about the hire.

12. raining threes

Except Bob McNair wanted to hire Caserio before he died and Cal's been chasing him ever since. Easterby is just carrying out Cal's wishes. Nothing has really changed when it comes to the culture the McNair's have wanted since their inception. Easterby has just taken on BOB's role (Scapegoat) in the Church of the McNair's known as the Houston Texans. The McNair's are and always have been the problem with the Texans.

13. raining threes

There's no doubt in my mind that Rootes or Palcic leaked this. Fact is they lost power after Bob McNair died and Cal hired Easterby to do an internal audit. I'm sure Easterby dug up the dirt on alot of the Texans FO hierarchy. This is nothing more retribution for those employees being fired. Dont take this as a defense of Easterby. I wanted him gone as part of the housecleaning.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, power issues have made my posting sporadic. As I responded in another post.

The Texans are his employer, as a man who signed a contract he has the right to express his grievances directly to his employer and they have the right to consider them. I believe not talking to them is giving them hope. If he meets with them, listens to their pitch and still demands a trade that should clearly state his position and hopefully afford the team the necessary confirmation that reconciliation is not an option.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You’re defending Easterby.
    Easterby isn’t qualified to do an internal audit of an entire NFL front office, especially at an executive level, when he’s NEVER run one. That’s the biggest stench on this character. WTF is he good at, besides manipulating Cal McNair?

16. raining threes

Whether you think he's qualified or not doesn't matter. Cal hired him to do the audit, he did the audit and he dug up a bunch of sexual harassment in the non football fo operations. That lead to change and longtime employees don't usually like change..

I would've fired Easterby after 51-7. I can't believe you don't realize that Easterby is just carrying out Cal's wishes.

17. gucci888

They could very well be the leaks but doesn’t mean it isn’t true either. Maybe it’s retribution from Rootes/Palcic but don’t forget that Easterby was losing out on power as well. Don't forget that Cal not only said that Easterby would not be GM but that he wouldn't even be part of the GM search. Like I said, the rest of the article proved to be true so I have no reason to doubt the rest of it, especially since Cal confirmed some of it as well.

But agree that this is ultimately a McNair issue. Guy has been bamboozled since his first day on the job.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, the Texans have nothing to lose by holding on to him. There is not a for sure trade partner... and even then, not a for sure slam dunk draft choice. They also need more than a QB at this point (ironic for those wanting Watson to reverse course and stay).

The better path is to tank, get the #1 pick, then trade him. Watson certainly has more to lose in terms of fines and one year in his physical prime.... but even if he wants to play, the Texans don’t have to play him if the tank plan has already been invoked.

And if hell freezes over (like it currently is in Texas), and Watson decides that his football prime is too valuable to waste by sitting out hoping that he gets a trade, the Texans then have a high pick to leverage into something to build around him.

All that being said, there are idiots in charge who probably won’t be able to execute any sort of plan...

JoeBarelyCares and Chilly_Pete like this.
  19. gucci888

We don't know how it would have worked out in the long run but Khan would have been an infinitely better alternative to start. There is a reason why the franchise is getting crapped on by current and past players, employees, media, etc...Khan would have indicated a new start, hiring Caserio the way that it was reported just proved all the rumored dysfunction regarding the franchise. And honestly everything that has transpired since then as well.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  20. thething

thething Contributing Member

Best plan is to tank for three years, build up the defense, then either Watson gets sick of sitting on the sidelines and plays or you trade him at that point. He's worth waiting three years for. Maybe four.

I don't think he's willing to give up his career over this. Just a hunch.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.