1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brrrr!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amiga, Feb 11, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another important thing. Texas houses aren't built with the same insulation requirements that houses are up in the north and also will run water pipes using PVC where they can be exposed to cold. Even without that with rolling blackouts and insufficient heat your pipes could freeze and burst.

Leave your taps running just a trickle. This will keep water moving in your pipes so they won't freeze.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Came to the inlaws since it's 52 degrees in my living room with no electricity and got tired of eating snacks. Most of my healthcare coworkers are stuck at work.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I didn’t even lose power during Harvey. Get off my lawn!

NotInMyHouse and STR8Thugg like this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

okay well mine is gasoline powered. No diesel. sounds like I’m good.

5. STR8Thugg

good to know you’re preserving your phone battery for essential needs only

marks0223 and B-Bob like this.
  6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Austin Energy can eat a dick. I haven’t had power all damn day in the 78703

STR8Thugg likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure if you're serious, but do not run a gas powered generator indoors.

Invisible Fan and R0ckets03 like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

Definitely trolling

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. bobrek

Just wanted to make sure. I'd feel guilty if you woke up dead. :)

10. Poloshirtbandit

Lost power again around 7:30. We had our house up to 65 degrees when it went out. Currently at 60.

11. STR8Thugg

JumpMan likes this.
  12. bobrek

I was counting on someone posting that

STR8Thugg likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It looks like things are still going to be rough for a few more days. With continual loss of power and water. Will emphasize again dressing in layers to keep warm.

If you have UnderArmor other type athletic shirts that wick moisture it actually is very good in cold weather. As keeping moisture from building up near your skin helps to keep that clammy feeling you get when cold. Wearing that as the first layer is a good start. next would be something like a long sleeve T-shirt and followed with a hoodie sweatshirt and a cap to keep your head warm. On your legs if you have UnderArmor shorts or leggings is a good first layer following by a sweat pants. Socks are very important and you can wear a thinner short sock and then a thicker tube sock over those. If you go outside you can put a wind breaker over this and jeans over the sweat pants and you'll be pretty warm.

I've worn pretty much this outfit with snow pants, boots and snow gloves to go out and shovel snow in weather as cold as -2 F and been fine.
    [​IMG]

Another reminder that if you're out in the snow when you get back inside change any clothes that has gotten snow and ice on it.

malakas and DonnyMost like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also make sure you stay hydrated. Hot drinks like tea and hot soup are pretty good for that.

15. AWIN

AWIN Member

Even the rich have no power. I’ve got a rental property on W 29th, home was built in the 40s and has no insulation. Renters must be freezing lol

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You have to be rich to live in Little Cali.

AWIN likes this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just getting my power back. For NOW. 77027. Parents down in 77043. Rental property I own in 77003 never lost power, but worried about pipes bursting.

Let my co-workers and clients in other states know I was out of commission and things were in bad shape in Houston. They asked me if the weather was really THAT bad, and my honest response was.... no.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Part of that zip code is outer loop. Your whole life is a lie.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Here in Southwest Austin we had water come up through our wood floors last week from a pipe in the foundation suddenly developing a leak after 25 years, so half the floors in the house are ripped up. Then after 72+ hours of the “remediation” guys running terrifically loud machines sucking the moisture out while we hid in our master bedroom (unaffected) with the dog, they all depart and this insane weather hits.

So half the place is the concrete foundation for a floor, boxes of stuff everywhere, and our house that looked great inside a few days ago looks wreaked. Chaos reigns, yet we feel lucky. We’ve only had 2 power outages, each for about an hour, all the faucets inside and out are dripping, while we stare out our windows at 6” of snow covering god knows how much ice. Surely this weather has to return to a semblance of normal soon.

Best of luck to everyone.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Oak Hill area hasn't been affected at all. Running water and electricity. Still opting for candle use and using media on phone or laptop I can unplug from wall until it runs low.