1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He don't even need picks. He got Tate from the mall.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you might as well include Jonathan Kuminga and Michael Porter Jr if were dreaming!

#302 JayZ750, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You made me laugh!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Westbrook ceiling. Athleticism only gets you 5 good years. His daddy had the most broken shot, but some how he could still drain them. Hopefully he develops one.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

For all the **** talk we give Westbrook, he was a far better ball handler than Martin at his age. His ceiling isn't Westbrook because as crazy as it sounds, Westbrook had more skillsets at the same age.

Sooty likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s not that simple though. You are wanting to see the younger players right? Well lol. what happens when you play them and Gordon gets less minutes. Tucker is a bench player. I could go on. Well you get guys that are less tradable this season or next. The way this team is set up. With the assets incoming. With Wood being an extremely good contract but for only 3 years.

Fighting for the 7th or 8th seed. K cool that’s amazing. But rookies doesn’t promise that either. Even if makes the games more “watchable”

I think at this point it is fairly obvious what the team should do. And depending on what happens with the draft will then determine more what you do next year. Porter could be important also in when he plays this year and what position the rockets draft.

7. csc177

csc177 Member

Why haven’t we called him up yet? Contract stuff? Knock off rust? The kid is 20 bring him up already and infuse some life into this sinking ship!

I’d rather see him play than Mclemore, Nwaba, House, Gordon, Dipo...I could keep going

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think you know who his dad is.

csc177 likes this.
  9. csc177

csc177 Member

He’s like 19....If he grows two more inches and gains 20 pounds he’ll be his dad and I’ll take that. Jump out the gym, protect the rim and grab rebounds, the real Kenyon Martin 2.0

D-rock likes this.
  10. csc177

csc177 Member

Agreed. Kenyon Martin Sr. carved out a nice nba career for himself,

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. csc177

csc177 Member

K
    Kenyon Martin (when he was 19)

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did he combine Kevin Porter Jr with Kenyon Martin Jr to come up with Kevin Martin Jr? Is that what happened?

13. Nook

Nook Member

That is a really good question.

He is raw like Gerald Wallace but he is developing the skill part of the game far faster than Wallace. Also, while Martin is roughly the same height as Wallace he doesn’t have the standing reach or wingspan Wallace has. His wingspan is like 6’7” and Wallace had a 7’1” wingspan. Also Wallace lacked the aptitude for shooting and scoring like KJ seems to be developing.

I cannot think of anyone that quite has the physical profile of Martin. He is 6’6” with a below average wingspan, he has a strong frame and is up from 213lbs to 225lbs. He also was the best athlete in his draft class. His vertical measured 39 inches at the combine but there are multiple reports of a vertical of an amazing 43 inches in game which is all time elite. I am always skeptical of vertical reports, but Martin’s jumps are jarring and I do believe there is some truth to the reports. He also is an elite fast twitch athlete. He gets off the ground very quickly and easily goes around guys without the ball in his hands.

From a skill standpoint he was a 4-5 in high school and was mostly a role player until his post graduation year. He had zero ability to shoot or dribble or do anything but bang and score on putbacks. Then in post graduate he started showing a developing three point shot.

The Iguodala comparison is interesting. They have similar athleticism and undeveloped games at a similar age. Martin is still shorter on the wingspan and appears to be able to put on muscle even easier. Not sure Martin will ever have the basketball IQ Iguodala has, and Martin seems to have a higher skill aptitude.

Martin’s body is the most like Jimmy Jackson in my opinion. He is strong like Jackson and roughly similar in size. He doesn’t have the skill level Jackson had but he is a better athlete.

As for Martin, he has a long way to go but his development is very encouraging. His skill development has been far quicker than anyone could have expected. If you want someone to compare it to, think Jimmy Butler. When he came out of college he had short arms, couldn’t score or shoot and developed that part of his game. Now that is an extreme example but that gives you an idea it could happen.

14. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Steal of the draft. Martin

D-rock likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Why "k"?

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Call him up. He’s ready. Need him right now

D-rock and csc177 like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Reminds me of when Hartenstein was tearing up the G-league.

Then would come up to the NBA and get 2 points a game.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the way he jumps (on both blocks and dunks) reminds me of orlando woolridge

D-rock, Corrosion and Nook like this.
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They’re comparing Jalen Suggs to Jason Kidd. Can we get Suggs, and then figure out who is Toni Braxton?

Nook and BallaDoc like this.
  20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Westbrook is in year 13 and is finally falling off. 12 years is a pretty solid run.

D-rock, harold bingo and Nook like this.