1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

San Antonio in 1997 executed it perfectly, with a long run of contending teams, suddenly bottomfeeders due to injury. Lo and behold, they add Tim Duncan and win it all shortly thereafter.

It can be done, and all we need is a little luck, which I would argue isn’t actually luck but rather Adam Silver doing the math and figuring out how compelling a narrative it would be to have Cade Cunningham in Rockets Red as opposed to OKC...whatever that color is.

The NBA as long as I’ve known it has always had a Texas team contending, and now for the first time ever they’re at risk of losing that. Something tells me that Silver won’t let it happen. You don’t even have to intentionally “tank” this year. Just let the team keep trying in its current hobbled state without doing any dumb short term moves to upgrade our lack of big men depth. The end.

HP3 likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course, we've always known that there is a conspiracy to keep at least one Texas team contending!

harold bingo likes this.
  3. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Eh. It’s all about having higher odds.

Look at it from this perspective: If you had a choice between attending an ivy-league school or a B-level school, which one are you choosing? Without a doubt, the one that gives you the highest chance at landing a prestigious career after graduation. Is it still possible to land that glorious career choosing the B-level school? Sure. But the Ivy-league school gives you the better odds.

So yes, I do think it’s worth it.

Also, it’s not the end of the word if the top 4 pick only becomes just an all-star and never a top 10 player. It’s ok to get the second option player first, and worry about acquiring/drafting the top 10 guy later. Indiana is a great example of that. Drafted Paul George, a second option player on a contending team at best — and he recruited AD enough to where AD wanted a trade to Indiana initially before LA.

Trackwell and HP3 like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How about now? We are a mere 1.5 games out of bottom 4. There is hope!

luckyman76 and JayGoogle like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya, everytime we win it’s so depressing

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You just have to keep hoping the Heat lose. Perhaps they somehow win a top 4 pick from say the 12th spot or 10th etc and then the Rockets keep their 6th pick if they don’t slot in top 4

7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

We are falling off a cliff. Here we come!

luckyman76 and SamFisher like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@Verbal Christ said it best #FadeforCade

then Roko Prkacin (Euro tournament MVP)
    and then Kispert

Rockets

PG)
    Wall.....................Cade Cunningham / Mason Jones
    SG) Eric Gordon.........K Porter
    SF) Tate......................Kispert
    PF) Wood...................Roko P
    C) ——free agents —— Spalding (Rockets may have about $35M to spend)

We back rocking next season.

#888 ApacheWarrior, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Verbal Christ and Trackwell like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You have to hope both the Heat and the Thunder lose. We get the worst pick out of the three unless our own is top 4.

OKC and us are about at the same level. I still don't believe the Heat will continue to be that bad. Even if their bubble success was a fluke, they were still a decent team last season. And their young guys have one more year of development under their belt. They should be better than last year.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The 2020 Lakers never win a title without multiple high lottery picks to get AD in trade.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm close to waving the white flag...

12. Nook

Nook Member

Silas’ job is to win games and develop players. He should never be told to lose games. The GM should trade veterans.

Trackwell, luckyman76, Easy and 3 others like this.
  13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

The rockets organization wont build properly. Will probably overpay for mediocre talent, that looks good on paper, hoping C- Wood can take them to the playoffs every year but wont get the 8th seed. If this goes on the next few years im sure alot of people gonna find new teams to watch.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah i got you. But i dont think the Thunder need my hope in their losing they are fully capable. If the Heat struggle this year with injuries etc. we should be fine. It sucks the East is as weak as ever and they have probably a better than 50% chance of making the playoffs.

Easy likes this.
  15. Mr. Space City

16. Raven

Raven Member

Sale, sale, sale, sale!

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Well, I'm on board for sure. Let the young guys play, trade Dipo, Ego, Tucker and whoever else you can.

18. mightybosstone

I wavered for a bit after that winning streak, but I'm fully back on board with Team Tank! Only 1.5 games out of the fourth worst record in the league! Let's give PJ and House as many minutes as possible to guarantee a loss to Washington!

Trackwell and JamalP. like this.
  19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If Wood is out for a long period of time and Dipo continues to forget how to shoot then yes bring on the tank.

Trade Tucker, Gordon, Dipo for as many 1sts as you can and sit Wall and Wood alternating games for load management.

Trackwell likes this.
  20. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Lol facts. These two are the cardio brothers. They been doing more running around than a chicken with his head cutoff. They'll mess around and give you 48 mins of no offense and less than stellar defense.

mightybosstone likes this.