1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think this is probably the most realistic outcome where the Rockets end up with a player who could fit long term.

DeBeards, fattz, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

It seems the hardest thing for fans to do is WAIT. Everyone wants to blow our assets now for non-superstars that will fill holes.

We need to be patient and continue to focus on acquiring assets. Dont “tank”, but don’t try to fix everything to win now either.

I think our best options are to use our expirings and TPEs to either provide cap relief to tax teams or to help teams that want to win now. Get the best assets you can in the process.

Tax teams: GSW, Brooklyn, Philly, LAC, Bucks, Lakers, Magic

Heres a series of moves I think better positions us for the future.

Al Farouq Aminu into our TPE with a 2022 protected 1st

PJ Tucker and Nwaba to Philly for Mike Scott, Terrence Ferguson and a 2021 1st

Eric Gordon for Spencer Dinwiddie and 2 2nds

Oladipo for Kevin Knox and a protected 1st

McLemore for a 2nd

Wall / Jones
    KPJ / Brown
    Tate / Knox
    Aminu / Scott
    Wood / Cousins

ilias, BallaDoc, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Man, you really want to blow it up. What a garage sale.

D-rock and Slimfa like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

3 1st
    + 3 2nds
    + $20-30 million to spend in the offseason
    + see what you’ve got in KPJ, Tate and Wood
    + rehab projects in Knox and Aminu
    + Dinwiddie bird rights to use in a SnT

It’s not even really tanking. Wall, Tate and Wood will keep us hovering around the play-in and KPJ might surprise.

Also, I’d watch Wall. The Clippers desperately need a point guard, and while they don’t have much in the way of picks, they have good role players that other teams may want which could net us more picks in a 3 way deal. If that happens, then the tank is on.

#2924 finsraider, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    ilias, Corrosion, BallaDoc and 2 others like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think you have some stuff Incorrectly valued. But, I don’t Have a Problem with the idea . I think the nets would make that dinwiddie trade in a heartbeat. They just don’t have enough assets anymore and I think we can find other teams that will be able to pay more for Gordon . I like dinwiddie, but that’s a high risk to get back as your main thing for Gordon .

I’m not familiar with Knox’ contract but I’d imagine he not cheap for too much longer . Rather get stuff further in the future for Dipo or a better player now . dipo is pretty worthless tho imo (he’s gotta play better)

we are also helping philly a bit too much . PJ alone is better than those guys and nwaba looks good too this season . In 2021 I’d rather take 2 seconds than a late first . Pj can get you that .

Maclemore sounds about right

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

HOU out: V.Oladipo; 2022 2nd
    HOU in: M.Bamba; DAL 2022 1st; J.Johnson
    > I don't think we can get that much more than this for Dipo, but at least Bamba's length/range would fit well inside with Wood and company moving forward. Johnson is expiring, and we get a future 1st.

DAL out: T.Hardaway Jr; 2022 1st; J.Johnson
    DAL in: V.Oladipo; A.Aminu
    > Dallas puts Oladipo with Luka/Porzingis, which gives them a legit 2nd creator and defender. Good place for Dipo to re-sign if the fit works.

ORL out: M.Bamba; A.Aminu
    ORL in: T.Hardaway Jr; HOU 2022 2nd
    > Orlando's been near the bottom in 3pt shooting/offense for years. THJ might be expiring, but he gives them high-level shooting if they want to re-sign him. They get rid of Aminu's deal, and free up Bamba, who doesn't fit with Vuce at C.

7. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Yet another John Collins trade..

https://tradenba.com/trades/b0A7oK1TF

Miami.. get their "guy" and all it cost was Iggy and one of their many young role players (I do value Precious more than that tbh).

Nuggets again get 2 PJs and boost their defense. Between Iggy, PJ and Milsap they should be in good hands for the rest of the season.

Hawks get a guy who's a bit younger than Dipo and arguably better defensively, which would be the main reason they would want someone like Dipo in the first place. Harris' offense has stagnated a bit, but he wouldn't need to score.. like at all.. next to Trae. They get a Collins replacement in Precious who provides the same level of upside as Collins coming into the league (trust me I understand they are different players).

We give up what's rumoured for us to be giving up plus a late 2nd rounder. We also get a backup pg who is a defensive stud and we get over $30m coming off the books next year while retaining our core group. This could be even more if there's a deal to be done for Gordon.

Wall/Dunn/Jones
    EG/Nwaba/Jones/Brown
    Tate/House/Brown
    Collins/House
    Wood/Boogie

Roster for 21/22, Wall, EG, Wood, Tate, House, Dunn, KPj, KMj, Kuruks (ugh).

Thats a solid 8 man rotation without even bringing back Collins.
    I still think we would want a backup big other than Boogie for the rest of the season. I tried throwing Bruno Fernando in as well but thought the Hawks would be giving too much up at this point. I imagine coupling House with a couple 2nds could bring back someone decent

Sen89 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Magic are desperate to contend for playoffs and they are short of forwards due to AG and Isaac injuries.

Aminu just returned from injury in nick of time because Gary Clark has been abyssmal and Okeke is still gimp and is on load management.

Why would they trade away one of their few quality forwards now? Plus give up a FRP in the process too?

Where is the logic here?

DeBeards likes this.
  9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Not bad. You usually see a lot of value imbalance in proposed deals with 3+ teams, but this is pretty solid.

My main question would be whether Denver would give up a 1st + a starter for two (very) old vets who provide very little scoring at this point in their careers. Both Iggy/PJ would fit well in theory, since their Jokic/MPJ/Murray trio is explosive enough on O to compensate, but I think they'd probably lean no.

But Wood + Collins would be crazy. They'd need a legit PG to set them up, which probably means Wall would have to stay healthy for the next 2, since moving his contract looks rough. But they'd definitely help his production, which would make his deal slightly less awful.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

If this is true then I want Stone's head on a platter.

Spalding signing better not be a reason to stop improving this team.

DeBeards and jch1911 like this.
  11. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Well he isn't an insider and he did end with "in my opinion".
    That being said I'm ok with them not trading for a Center, as long as they upgrade the 3 and 4.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hence my qualifier "if this is true".

DeBeards, Sep11ie and Boston84 like this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

finsraider for GM. This is exactly what the organization needs, move on and look to the future with some youth, a bunch of picks and a pretty decent cap situation. I promise I'll stop calling it a tank.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Magic are in the luxury tax, and it’s entirely possible Aminu never returns to form. Long term, they have a huge crunch at the forward spot, so this is a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

BallaDoc likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Following the Magic, I do not see them giving up pick, let alone FRP, to get rid of Aminu.

Aminu worth at least SRP in return IMO.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

We may not know until we see his return. But they are a tax team, he’s signed for next year as well and he’s had multiple knee surgeries. He’s not riskless.

saleem likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

tanking, at least as it was before the odds-changes in the lottery, is dead as far as full scale intentional losing. A “tanking” team will probably actually compete for the first 2/3rds of the year before shifting into asset accumulation mode.

I actually think this play-in idea is brilliant. More teams that feel they have a chance + more evenly distributed lottery odds means teams won’t feel the pull of driving their rosters into the toilet. It’s a very nuanced solution by the league to keep the games competitive, and I love it.

If we make the moves I described and wrestle our way to a play-in series, I’d call that a big success for this season.

19. Rockets4Life13

So what do we think guys? Anyone willing to give up anything for Wall? Maybe someone like Clippers would take on Wall to have a PG?

20. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Next year if Wall stays healthy.

Corrosion likes this.