1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

43 cowards who violated oath and voted in favor of the failed putsch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Feb 13, 2021.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    ACQUITTED. FOR LIFE.

And now it's time to watch Trump's triumphant return to the public arena after winning 2 straight presidential elections. Mail-in Biden will be the weakest president in history.

GOOD DAY

ktex and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

being an equally cynical b*stard, I wonder what percentage of those seven Republicans are toying with running for President in 2024

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I would bet money on it being about 14.3%.:D
    I think it's only Sasse who would try, and I would applaud that, even though he doesn't have much of a shot.

Not sure if you're thinking Romney, but he seems more and more like a Flake figure to me; they realize that the populist/nationalist wing has fully consumed what used to be their party.

It's interesting, but Turtle's little speech about 45's obvious guilt on the merits seemed like an attempt to keep 45 from gaining traction toward becoming 47. Good luck with that, Mitch.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Ilya Somin at Reason:

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/02/13/trumps-second-acquittal-and-the-limits-of-impeachment/

excerpt:

In the long run, I believe the acquittal will be remembered as a grave error, and the historical reputations of those who made it possible will suffer accordingly. That said, I readily admit that it is difficult to predict what the ultimate verdict of history on these sorts of events will be. Much of what I wrote in the aftermath of the Trump's first impeachment trial is applicable today, as well:

Regardless of what the senators say, it is still far from clear what lessons the rest of us will take away from this case. It may well be a long time before we have any consensus on the rights and wrongs of this episode. I hope most Americans will eventually agree that the Senate committed a serious error in refusing to [convict] Trump. But… it is possible that public and elite opinion will eventually coalesce around the opposite view: that the Democrats overreached by impeaching Trump in the first place. Unlike many people, I don't believe that moral progress is inevitable. Regression has happened before, and could happen again. So even if my view of this episode is right, the tide of opinion could still move against it. Perhaps more likely, the issue will continue to split people along ideological and partisan lines. That state of affairs could persist for a long time, given the severe polarization of American politics.

Even if a consensus does develop, it might eventually be challenged or even reversed. For many decades, the 1868 impeachment of Andrew Johnson was seen as a grave error, and John F. Kennedy (or at least his ghost-writer) famously celebrated the senators who voted Johnson's acquittal in his Profiles in Courage. More recently, however, the consensus has been broken as more and more people come to recognize that Johnson richly deserved to be removed for his attempts to sabotage Reconstruction and preserve white supremacy in the South….

If majority opinion coalesces around the view that Trump's acquittal was a mistake, then it will stand as a negative precedent future political elites will strive to avoid, not a positive that should be emulated.

Hopefully, more and more people will come to understand that Trump's acquittal—like Andrew Johnson's—was a gross miscarriage of justice. And both will go down in history as among the worst and most evil presidents in our history.​

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I found that piece pretty interesting. Another quote, (and an educational point for me at least):

"The seven Republican senators who voted to convict Trump is a figure seven times greater than the total number of senators who voted to convict a president of their party in any previous impeachment trial (that number is one: Sen. Mitt Romney in Trump's first impeachment trial, last year)."

I mean, I know this isn't a large sample of impeachments we can review, but ... damn.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No witnesses because some of those names would have been involved......

I hope the DOJ goes DEEP after this, Biden should put a special investigator towards the riot.

DD

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Chavez or Mussolini....bigly decisions here.

I better get my tax cut!

Nook and CometsWin like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude, you should expect this reaction when you are defending a non guilty verdict for a president who literally convinced people that they had no choice other than to ransak the US Capitol building. What makes it abhorrent was that it was all a blatant lie.

Just that no about it. I'd the election was actually stolen where the votf counts are completely fraudulent to the point of swung an election, that is to this date the largest threat to American democracy if it were true. It is so egregious that if every legal avenue was spent, and the historic problem wasn't remedied through legal recourse, this would be one of the few times were the "second amendment is for fighting tyranny" people would have a legitimate argument for violence because the legal recourse to save democracy didn't work.

What makes it so sick is that these people who truly believed Trump would have been in the right if his rhetoric about a fraudulent election was true. And they are the ones going to prison while the guy who convinced them that they had no other choice is going scott free?

**** no.

There really isn't much room for your devil's advocate here.

10. CometsWin

Loser traitor trolls gonna troll.

11. adoo

adoo Member

the dotard, DJ Trump, was so weak that he was
    • The only POTUS in history to have never won an election, by popular votes
    • The only incumbent to lose the presidential election to a challenger, who had received the most popular votes ever ( > 80 million ) by a margin of > 7+ million
    • The only POTUS, in Senate impeachment trial, to be convicted by a bipartisan majority

12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    LMAO. I'll wager that at least 2 million swing state Biden "voters" didn't even know they voted for the guy! (4am dumps once the corrupt Dem precincts figured out how many they needed and who didn't vote already).

GOOD DAY

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

another solid contribution, attaboy

El_Conquistador likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

MIC DROP...daaammmnn, u didn’t have to do Hoeje like that

15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Yeah, what a coup! Everyone went through security first and was home before the 6pm curfew.

Now if you want to talk about actual coups, look to the Mueller Russia probe and the first impeachment. Those were actual efforts to overturn a democratic election result. Ever notice that the Dems are always guilty of that what they accuse Republicans of doing?

GOOD DAY

16. CometsWin

Is posting editorials ad nauseam your notion of a solid contribution? Let me go find one to explain what I think and then post three more to play devils advocate and waste your time.

17. CometsWin

We read the Mueller report that detailed like ten different impeachable offenses. That Mueller Report?

I'm not sure if you know how our government works but removing the President doesn't overturn an election, it merely places the Vice President in office since he was also elected.

EDUCATING TROLLS

VooDooPope likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you are my favorite poster

19. CometsWin

You're so thoughtful. Maybe another insurrection and a couple more cop murders will get a "wow" out of you next time it happens. Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll get a couple Senators next time.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  20. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    LMAOOOO. Not a single American was charged, indicted, or convicted of colluding with Russia in the 2016 election. Democrats used Mueller to probe Trump and "rattle the trees" trying to use process crimes and old, stale unrelated charges from Trump associates to get them to reveal crimes... and none did. Kind of embarrassing for the country, really, that prosecuting political opponents is a thing... But Dems have no moral compass and lack any and all self awareness -- their ultimate weakness. The more they talk, the worse they do. Just wait and see!

GOOD DAY