1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ray Spalding signed to 2 Way Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Feb 12, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think KJ becoming a legit rotation player could be huge for the Rockets. What position do you see as his spot? Do you have a best case/worst case comp?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If we trade Olidipo before the deadline, KPJ probably take up his spot as the main 2 guard playing off Wall.

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Sorry, I was talking about Kenyon Martin Jr not KPJ.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don’t think KJ Martin looks ready at all. He has the play style of a center, the height of a small forward, and the length of a shooting guard. Strange player and hard to predict.

D-rock, Mr Woods and coachbadlee like this.
  5. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed. Hes a smaller version of his father who was already a somewhat undersized 4. At least that has been my impression. Crazy good athlete though. Wonder if he can develop into a Shawn Marion type?

treyk3 likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

KJ needs a decent 3pt shot to really even begin to consider bringing him up.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I spent so much text talking about KPJ turns out you were talking about Kenyon Martin Jr. Just call him Kmart man to avoid confusion.

Right now he is in a weird spot cuz he can't shoot all he has is his defensive instincts and his athleticism. However just remember Tate man if he is only this good now how do you think he looked 5 years ago? Kmart today would totally destroy 2016 Tate that's how fast his curve has been.

I'd definitely compare him to a 6'6 version of Dennis Smith Jr right now except add defense and take away the playmaking. Best case if he learns how to shoot he can be another Zach Lavine IMO. He has good height, mad hops and considering he is only 20 by the time he is 25 I expect him to be a lot more polished and have good IQ offensively and defensively.

#87 roslolian, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

But why?

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Ok, obviously this is my bad. I meant KJ Martin. I guess they should be referred to as KMart & KPJ?

roslolian likes this.
  10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Dude should have been the first one released or the first to work on his game in Rio Grande.

bcast89 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I revised my old post just refer back to that. He's def a long term project at the very least he prob won't contribute this year maybe next year.

In terms of niche I can see him being Tate's understudy long term he is only 6'6 but he is extremely athletic and got big man training from his dad, that allows him to do well under the basket as well have great timing on blocking shots. If he learns to improve his jumper to at least average level he can totally be a Zach Lavine type of wing IMO.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

6'10. Midgets are wearing themselves out trying to rebound against actual balanced NBA rosters

Corrosion likes this.
  13. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Lavine is a bold comparison for KMart. Im just hoping he can be an end if the bench 3/4 myself. Anything more is gravy IMHO. Hes young and so he has time to get way better than that but, realistically, that's my guess.

As for KPJ, I see him as more likely an instant offense guy off the bench on a good team. Hopefully an Eric Gordon type with fewer health problems but a jumper that is not quite as good. He could also end up an all star or out of the league in 2 years. His ceiling and floor are both extremely high and basement low.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. sheb

sheb Member

I watched his highlights, his vertical jumping is pretty bad

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess this is where we differ cuz I think being only 20 yrs old and basically not getting any sort of systemized training (dude didn't go to college just spent a year in HS prep basically all he knows is AAU ball) he has real potential considering his level now. Athletically Kmart is extremely gifted so if he manages to put it all together in his head and develops a working J he should be really good. I mean he has 8 blocks and like 24 rebs in just 2 games man, the potential is def there he just needs to hire a good shot doctor and fix his broken J. RGV allows him to practice his 3 pt shooting he hasn't made any yet but he is taking 4 threes a game. Its just gonna take some time cuz he is really raw like I expect KPJ to contribute after the deadline but the earliest we'll prob see Kmart contributing is next season although he might be reassigned back to the squad once the Gleague season is done and get some garbage mins.

Also I'm not talking about Zach Lavine THIS YEAR cuz ZL is currently having a top 5 superstar career offensively, shooting 43% from 3 with 65% TS LOL. I'm talking more in line with his average of 38% from 3 and 56% TS I think that's a reasonable expectation for Kmart 5 years down the line.

KPJ it is too early to tell because we don't know if he'll ever get his **** together. But I'm still really high on him, Kmart and Mason Jones I think all 4 of them with Wood are either gonna make this team really good or will be shipped for somebody really good.

#95 roslolian, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

hell yeah, we're getting younger
    pls let go thiic, dhouse, benmac, ego

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Kmart without any real formal collegiate experience was making a difference in the Dallas game. A defensive difference. And that’s without a lot of experience. We should’ve kept dude up. There would’ve been growing pain but growing pains are way more tolerable than expected pain slow pains.

D-rock likes this.
  18. jayfree

jayfree Member

Joking of course- But .261 Career 3 point shooter in G-league and .000 in the NBA so far is not good enough to be a 3-point shooter this year

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hopefully he is still growing, if he were 6'8" it would help a lot.

DD

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Doesn't appear hes playing for the vipers today....is he being called up?