1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ray Spalding signed to 2 Way Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Brodric Thomas > Ray Spalding

Spalding does have like a 7’4” or 7’5” wingspan if I remember correctly.

Deuce, Bo6, don grahamleone and 2 others like this.
  2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Cheap *** front office. It probably wouldn't have made a difference signing a more established FA, but this was literally the cheapest way to fill the void that's been hanging around this team for weeks.

GotGame15, jim1961 and D-rock like this.
  3. OpportunityCost

6'9" and athletic. Sign me up. I just want to see someone helping with rebounding. Someone taller than 6'4".

bcast89 likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One could argue that this move doesn't even meet that criteria (fill the void). But it may be less indicative about spending and more about the direction they intend to go (tanking/firesale).

At least when the Astros tanked, it was clear from the start what they intended to do. With the Rockets, its all veiled in secrecy and/or deception.

5. the big E

the big E Contributing Member

6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Guessing it'll become clearer near the deadline. Will they be looking to get any existing assets back, or is it all going to be divesting of players for future assets and backfilling with called up g-leaguers? I'm inclined to think it's the latter, but will wait and see.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think it fills the void cuz the Spalding is being used as a center in RGV games.

Rox arent gonna spend money on a FA this season they want to keep under the lux tax thats the whole reason they traded Allen away. Disregarding Prince's salary Rox will receive around 9M compensation this year for being under the tax highly doubt they'd go over the tax for a team thats gonna be losing players at the deadline.

dmoneybangbang and Nook like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well, its anybody's guess. Mine is, it will go something like the Harden trade in that it will depend on who our trade partners are and what they got that we want. I am sure we want players back we can build around, but if we don't see what we want, our haul may be future draft pick heavy, like the Harden trade.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Spending money is one thing, but the fact that they seem slow or even reluctant to balance the roster I find troubling.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

There is no way to balance the roster we capped out on roster spots. Just to sign Spalding we got to cut waive BT who has been balling in RGV and prob would have contributed in the squad had he been given PT.

We got some legit prospects but these are undrafted, 50s picks or multiple year journeymen like Nwaba. Nobody will give assets for these guys except for Tate and Jones so cutting or waiving them to sign other guys for a season where we arent chasing anything in particular and prob wont even get our pick either seems like a lose.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

He might be the new AD. He at the very least has the brow working.

12. csc177

csc177 Member

Sorry guys Ray Spaulding is not the answer. They’ll quickly send him right back where he belongs...in the g league

GotGame15 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope Vipers sign Bruno or Jonah Bolden to replace Spalding.

Maybe even Dragan Bender.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My attempt at a scouting report on Ray:

1st.. He can shoot from deep and is pretty effective inside making our offense a more potentially Christian Wood like offense for a stretch
    2nd.. He could defend the paint much better, but he's mobile and rebounds decently in the G League
    3rd.. He can defend shooters on the perimeter but not sure about drivers on the perimeter
    4th.. He's unselfish and this is my favorite quality I saw in him. He gave up an easy break away dunk to his teammate and that kind of thing is team building up type material
    5th.. He deals well with contact on offense, but not on defense

Overall, he'll be a center option for us. I'd actually start him if you're just looking to replace what Christian Wood does. Boogie on the bench makes so much more sense. He helps us off the bench, he seems to hurt us as a starter.

roslolian likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Spalding has looked really good in the G-league. Excited to see what he has.

17. raining threes

Are there any highlights of him rebounding?

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Spalding, Porter Jr and Kmart are of the standout in GLeague for me so nice to see Rox keep all 3.

Kmart esp is giving reason to get hyped showing great flashes in both offense and defense given how raw of a prospect he is. Give this kid 5 years and he'll be Tate's age lol thats how much time he has and how much room he has to grow.

Tbh none of what Spalding is doing jumped out at me but then I look at his stat line at the end and he has crazy nos. He reminds me of Hartenstein he should be just a big body except with a little stretch ability, having him as an option when Cousins or Tucker are playibg like trash is def necessary.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Man, matador defense to zero rim protection for for the Vipers. Doesn't look like they're developing defensive players down there. The rebounding also looks bad. Even our development team needs bigs.