1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Collins is perfect for this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’m down to pay Collins a max. He’s already at all-star level production at only 23 years old. He will continue to get better.

Oladipo on the other hand.... I honestly wouldn’t even give him Gordon’s contract. Watching him has been PAINFUL. He doesn’t deserve a max, nor does he fit the timeline of our younger guys.

D-rock, treyk3, glynch and 3 others like this.
  2. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'll admit to not seeing much of him this season.(none if I'm honest) But yea when Ive seen him. He's been very disappointing defensively

D-rock and Nook like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Collins plays in the same space as Wood

High p'n'r
    Pick and pop
    Lob roller

It makes no sense to me?

majicdonjuan, saleem and RudyTBag like this.
  4. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

He's perfect until we get him, he has a bad game, and we lose. Then he and the coach are trash. This is the cycle.

Would be nice though.

5. BeardedWonder

BeardedWonder Member

Paying someone the max who isn’t as good or better than Wood? I don’t know about that.

Little Bit likes this.
  6. raining threes

Exactly

Give Collins the max and try to move Dipo for a useful wing. Do the Hawks have any useful wings riding their bench? I'm thinking they will also be able to find guys that can play using some of their draft picks.

HP3 likes this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

How about...
    This team is perfect for John Collins? o_O
    [​IMG]

8. raining threes

He's better than Wood defensively and as good as Wood offensively. Just gotta get somebody to get them the ball. Wall can be that guy. Just gotta get him where he can play 30 mins a night and back to backs. Hopefully this happens by next year.

This would give the Rockets some badly needed size and athleticism, rebounding.

BamBam likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. That's the truth.

MPJ is the target that makes sense. It's going to be costly, though.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Both space the floor and can switch on the perimeter. Wood is a better rim protector. Collins wants to improve his playmaking. Would be a unique combo for sure with some overlap.

I’ll admit I haven’t followed the Hawks much other than highlights. I’m watching tonight with my eyes on Collins.

D-rock and DrNuegebauer like this.
  11. raining threes

Wood has proven he can hit the corner three and take the ball off of the bounce to the hole with authority. He also can rebound and block shots. Things that Tucker cant currently do. I'm going to take your word about Collins and if true his skillset should fit in well with what Wood can do.

My deal is every move should be made with the idea of how does this fit the team in three years when the Rockets should have the talent in place to compete for a championship.

#51 raining threes, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    D-rock, Nook and sydmill like this.
  12. minis9

minis9 Member

How much is max contract for Collins? He’s young so “max” for him isn’t like the max Harden had, right? Can’t be more than what VO will ask for, so that’d be a better investment.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

- Distressed assets / hidden gems
    - Picks
    - Young potential super star

That’s it. That’s what we should trade for.

To borrow a phrase from Morey: You find the John Collins...you don’t pay them.

Dankstronaut and majicdonjuan like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Collins shoots 3’s, comes off picks, gets a lot of put backs inside and scores in transition. There is no reason they can’t play together. Not to mention if their minutes are tapered they won’t be on the floor together a fairly large number of minutes.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Is there a rumor of MPJ being disgrunted or something? I thought the general consensus was that Denver wasn't willing to move anyone because of their beloved "team chemistry".

16. Nook

Nook Member

John Collins isn’t Chandler Parsons.

You don’t sign guys like John Collins because 23 year olds as good as him almost never hit the market.

Deuce, Denovo, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The Nuggets want a star player.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Insert Kevin Porter Jr. A player desperately needed for his scoring since we can't buy a basket, but not perfect for this team because we have ball-dominant guards in Wall and Oladipo. Far and few are "perfect"

raining threes likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Good luck getting MPJ. The Rockets tried very hard to get him and couldn’t pull it off.

I love the upside of MPJ and think he would already be a star with minutes. However beware he is a mess off the court and his work ethic isn’t wonderful.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t think he’s Chandler Parsons. He’s probably better. But unless you evaluate him as a potential super star, you don’t make that deal.

You MIGHT do it if the cost is just expiring contracts. Means you value his restricted rights over the picks you might get instead for Oladipo and Tucker.