1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the hold up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Feb 12, 2021.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Watching Ben Simmons last night, even though his team lost to Portland (YAY! keep that draft pick), was painful. And Thybulle.

I, too, understand the trade Tilman forced---er, that Stone made. Because Tilman is bleeding money and doesn't pony up, especially when we don't have a contender (cue the Brando speech: "I coulda been somebody...I coulda been a contender. But I'm a bum....")

I can only hope that Oladipo and Tucker get traded and not for a Frito pie and Coca Cola. We should at least net another first rounder and Trade Exception, or a player we really need (distributor? PF/C?)

D-rock, BamBam, treyk3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Wall hasn't been terrible. Must better than Westbrook contract.

Patience likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wanted Simmons so badly. I got roasted consistently because he doesn't score. He is such a game changer defensively. The Rockets will be lucky to draft a player in the same stratosphere as Simmons. In fact, I'd be surprised if any of the picks end up being as good as Herro or MPJ. It just is all a crap shoot.

Thybulle would probably be the high end of players available for Tucker. His numbers have been atrocious. Tucker is the ultimate KD and Harden stopper, Philly could seriously use him for a run this year.

Tucker + McLemore for Thybulle and 2 SRP or a 1-20 protected FRP this would be nice. Philly needs shooting and they need players to throw at KD and Harden to force Joe Harris and Kyrie to beat them. I'm almost certain Philly will play Brooklyn at some point in the playoffs. The Rockets need to get younger and Thybulle would allow Sterling Brown to slide into the starting three and Tate into a more natural 4.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thybulle can't shoot but he sure can defend.

(long dramatic pause)

UNLIKE MOST OF THE ROCKETS, JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-ZUS.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

the purgatory hell of indefinite rebuilding. only bonafide HOFs can raise a team from it. only two ways to get a bonafide HOF, sign or draft.

BamBam likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Yea I was pushing for Simmons hard, but you can't deny his plateau. As tantalizing as Simmons the theoretical 6'11" point center is, he leaves much to be desired.

It's not like I have a choice, but I've accepted this draft pick + expiring route we took and it's feeling like the best package we had AT the time. We should probably get prepared to be underwhelmed, but I still have my fingers crossed we can get an underperforming previous top ten draft pick or multiple picks. Dipo and Tucker really don't fit this team right now.

burlesk likes this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I say we do BOTH...;)

D-rock, burlesk and ipaman like this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean Rockets traded for Harden. Lakers traded for Davis..

D-rock, burlesk, BamBam and 1 other person like this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

KD and Harden have played like 5 games together cuz KD spends the most of his time in Covid protocols and he can't play back 2 backs. They have beat all the contenders they played and lost to the scrub teams. I like their chances of winning it all.

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We better decide we suck fast before all the other tanking teams hog up four spots. Big difference between 10 win and 20 win teams

BamBam likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Be patient.

xaos, MIAGI99 and hajkov like this.
  12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Harden also ****ed this team in the games he was here...
    WOW trio having injuries, not playing b2b...
    Cousins and Wall not playing at all last year...

So why other (and better teams) are allowed to have chemistry building time but not the Rockets?

All movements were horizontal: CP3 to Westbrook then to Wall because they had the same value = all absurd contracts traded by another one.
    Now Harden's contract, that is actually up to its value, needed "JUST" FOUR ****ING TEAMS TO BE INVOLVED. Piece of cake.

burlesk likes this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Dude was averaging like 35 and 12 before he got hurt. How was the not giving this team a chance. This team is trash if you can't see that I can't help you.

Our whole roster isn't as good as Kevin Durant. Harden Durant and 3 g leaguers would beat Harden and these Rockets.

Reeko and HP3 like this.
  14. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

My point by replying to you is that you are giving others a chance you are not giving the Rockets.
    Early to say this team is trash.

BUT, I DO HAVE IN MIND THIS IS A REBUILDING TEAM.
    WE ARE NOT CONTENDERS

We are just in the aftermath of a couple of 40mil contracts after the so called "all in".

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Ya hes not a bad stop gap, until this team has direction on what there doing. But i honestly dont know if him and woods are playoff team. They could be thou. If those 2 are your leaders its in & out maybe. But there going to have to really get some better players around these guys seriously and young draft picks. Wall might improve more down the road. I just hope its more w/ assist role, heck he scored 25 the other night. I know hes good.

hajkov likes this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We never went all in. We did a 50/50 push in our stars saw right through it and wanted out. Our owner is too cheap to go all in. Wasting 1st rounders, dumping salary at every chance he could. Not resigning important pieces. 2 max contracts and a bunch of scrubs isn't winning anything. If one of those maxes is Westbrook.

Also not too early to say this team is trash. Oladipo is trash. We have no wing player over 6'5". Our only serviceable big had bad ankles. we have no true super star or identity. We've only beaten the worst teams in the league. I think we are the least talented team in the West. I would trade rosters with any other team in the West.

luckyman76, Dankstronaut and HP3 like this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think most teams would love to have John Wall at 20 million. What makes him terrible is he's the 3rd highest paid player in the league and he might be top 30 at best.

luckyman76, D-rock and Le$$ like this.
  18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not sure if joking or not. I'm sure some people think throwing a bunch of young guys out there together and hope they sink or swim sounds like a reasonable way to speed things along. In reality, I think majority of the time that team is destined to sink. The quality of play won't even resemble real, competitive basketball, so no one really learns anything.

I think until we acquire a young, potential floor general, Wall is probably the perfect veteran to kind of keep things moving during the rebuild. Of course it just so happens that he's probably the least tradable player on our roster, so not like we really have a choice. :)

burlesk, BamBam and RedIsen like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Teams want Houston to pay as much of their contracts up until the trade deadline.

Rockets hope to build up their trade value.

There are the exceptions. Knicks probably thought about Oladipo for a New York minute......then said screw it, let’s
    go with the cheaper D-Rose before someone else snags him.

Knicks gave Dennis Smith jr and second round pick for expiring contract of D-Rose.....thats what I expect for Dipo. Return of bad expiring contract like Fournier and second round pick.

#39 ApacheWarrior, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    burlesk likes this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Question asked, question answered. The Nets are building a championship contender, what are the Rockets building?

Maybe the future 5 projections are a bit much but being a little over the suicide squad is still a valid feeling. Them "swimming" and pulling out wins is hollow anyway, everyone thinking about trade value for another 6 weeks. It's already worn thin and they want us to wait 6 more weeks? Assuming they move anyone at all too.