1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Phillyrocket, Feb 12, 2021.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

More like Team America: Houston Texans

[​IMG]

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Texans made a mistake making O'Brien GM and they have corrected that. I love Watt but they have to let him go.

The Texans have been middle of the road to this point but Duane Brown leaving set the franchise back. He and Watson could have been great

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The team that had KC down 24-0 was just a few moves away. Coach being one of those. A complete dismantling was the last thing I ever expected.

Shark44 and rockbox like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

unequivocally, undoubtedly pure trash

this is the 4th largest city in the US; one of the best cities in the country in terms of living and appeal.

these organizations (astros, texans) don't deserve to call houston their home

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't you just love it when the texans and rockets just go back and forth for the title of who is the dumbest in the city

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Astros have been one of the best run teams in baseball since Crane bought the team.

BigM, cmoak1982 and msn like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Wow, so JJ asked to be released and the Texans bend to his will and that’s deserved. Watson asks for trade and how dare we succumb to a player’s wishes, he needs to shut up and play out his contract. Interesting.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Trading away the best receiver in the NFL because of culture was the beginning of the end.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

But don’t be friendly to Watson right? Cuz he’s not worthy... got it.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats it. It was the first domino.

What should have happened was Cal should have been mad enough to fire OBrien and all the managers involved in choking that game away. Brought in competent coaching and added onto that nucleus and gave yourself another shot this year. Instead he decided holding snakes and bibles was the way to go.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

No, you have to look past the surface, my guy. Watson's contract represents value. Watt's does not.

Most casual fans don't consider that a player's value proposition consists of both A) Their ability to perform now and in the future; and B) Their contract price. Watt falls short on the future outlook and the contract price. Watson does not.

hieuytran likes this.
  13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Disclaimer: I am no stooge for Easterburry or LIL Cal.

With that being said, I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the hate for this move. They did the right thing by JJ. He said that he did not want to be part of a rebuild. This is a tough pill to swallow but, this is the correct thing to do. Let JJ be free to pick HIS TEAM of choice, and clear upwards of 10Mil i suspect in cap space. Yet to be seen if any free agents are to shell shocked away from coming to Houston due to front office issues..

But this was a classy move. It stings, but let JJ go where he wants, and recoup cap money for a heavy contract that was more expensive than the contribution he could give on the field at this point.

I lived through Bud Adams, the loss to the Bills, Cougars loss to NC State, Renfro's feet being down against the Steelers, and being the butt of trash can jokes daily here in Albany NY. This is no better or worse than any of these.

Trade Watson, recoup mass draft capital, be crappy for a few years and hopefully Casserole makes the right moves and then we go to being the windshield instead of the bug.

This move hurts because of love and memories, but this is solid for both sides the player and the management.

JayGoogle and TWS1986 like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

NOT THE TIME BRIAN

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So if JJ says he wants to go play for the Steelers or the Packers do you think those teams would not have given up assets to get the guy? 4th or 5th round pick even to a team that is strapped for draft capital as it is?

Screams of JJ saying "F YOU IM OUT - FLAT OUT RELEASE ME OR I WILL GET UGLY AND EXPOSE WHATS REALLY GOING ON"

Easterby: Thanks JJ good luck - lets keep everything on the DL my dog that cool? Hey lets sign this NDA right quick mmkay!

16. dmoneybangbang

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This MFer is a disgrace.

cmoak1982, BMoney and Chilly_Pete like this.
  18. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

2017 negates all of that...the astros name is tainted

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This is the worst 18 months of Houston sports ever. You can't defend this organization. Feel like burning my Texans gear honestly. It's cold

BMoney likes this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, JJ. I'm gonna miss you, but I'll be glad for you to find a franchise that does better by you than the Texans have. I'll probably end up no longer rooting for this team (the end result of Deshaun's situation will determine that, ultimately) so maybe I'll root for wherever you land.

Unless it's Dallas. I can't think of a quicker way to destroy all the love you have in Houston than to go play for those asshats up north.