1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Phillyrocket, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Mr. Space City

My favorite moment as a Texans fan.

Thanks for the memories JJ. Godspeed.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Probably offered nothing more than a 5th

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It was the right thing to do by JJ, but damn do I hate this team right now...

everyday eddie and Pbev99 like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/houston-texans-and-de-j-j-watt-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

"Change is never easy, especially when it involves the ones you love. J.J.'s impact on not only our organization, but the entire Houston community, is unlike any player in our franchise's history," said Texans Chair and CEO Cal McNair. "I told J.J. earlier this week that we will forever consider him a Texan. We take solace in knowing that this is not a goodbye but a 'see you soon.' For now, we will build upon the foundation that J.J. created here and forge ahead with our unwavering mission to bring a championship to our city, create memorable experiences for our fans and do great things for Houston."

"Simply put, there has been no person in the past decade who has made a greater impact on the Texans organization than J.J. Watt," said Co-Founder and Senior Chair Janice S. McNair. "J.J.'s dominance on the field was unprecedented and resulted in countless moments that will go down in Texans history. To me, what best represents J.J.'s connection to Houston is his tradition of playing catch with the fans before every home game. The number of people who wear #99 jerseys with smiles on their faces totally encapsulated J.J.'s passion for bonding with Texans fans at every possible opportunity. His commitment to the community is unlike any player in NFL history. We are forever grateful to J.J. and his family."

Roc Paint likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine how much the past year is going to hurt them in free agency moving forward?

msn and MadMax like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I saw other team's sites coming up with the best offers for JJ. Many of them were multiple 3rds or a player and a second, etc.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I respect the team for doing it but now you have to be consistant with Watson's request too. If you aren't then you kill all that good will you just earned with JJ's release

Pbev99 likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

"Challenge Accepted." - Jack Easterby

Nook, TMAC3, CometsWin and 9 others like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Releasing him frees Watt up to join the team of his choice -- that's a HUGE favor to him. Very player-friendly move by the Texans. Surprised some people here don't see that. This is not a "same old Texans" move here.

11. Fantasma Negro

80 and 99 will be retired, knock it off

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fans do stuff like this constantly. Never understand this. Trade value is so low for veterans like JJ, no matter how good they've been. Teams know you are going to cut them.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

They only have to release him because he wanted to leave the **** show so no we shouldn’t be praising them.

arkoe and napalm06 like this.
  14. Major

Major Member

It wasn't really "good will" here. Watt's contract was $17MM this coming year. No one was going to trade for that, the Texans can't afford that will all their cap issues, JJ wanted out, and there's no guaranteed money if the Texans release him. Teams will definitely want JJ Watt - but not for anything like this price. I think we all knew months ago he was going to get released.

jiggyfly, CoolGuy and justtxyank like this.
  15. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

The fact that he asked out shows how much of a dumpster fire this org is with easterby and cal

I truly think that jj would stick it out through a bad team if we had good ownership

everyday eddie and Sooty like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No you don't. The two things aren't comparable at all.

JJ Watt was on the last year of an inflated contract with a big cap hit but no guaranteed money. It was a situation where the Texans had to negotiate a new contract with him or release him.

I think the Texans will ultimately traded Watson, but it has nothing to do with being consistent here. Releasing Watt was a necessity.

mario_v likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Watson and Watt are two very different assets.

From a business perspective it makes plenty of sense to let JJ go. It makes almost no sense to let Deshaun go.

18. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

This has the feels of when the Oilers left the city. These aren't selfish superstars wanting to leave. Even the quietest man in franchise history, Andre Johnson, has spoken up. It's just a matter of time before Watson gets his wish.

I'll support anything that has Houston written on it. I'll support any player that doesn't sell out the city. I can't support toxic ownership. The silver spoon Cal was born with missed his mouth and Easterby has guided it straight up where the sun doesn't shine.

Pbev99 and Mr. Space City like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is not a **** hole franchise. **** all y'all who think so

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

JJ Watt asked to walk away from a huge contract, from the only professional team that he has ever known, and at the very end of his career. That’s how bad this organization is now. What a god damn **** show...

itzIce, Xenon, Pbev99 and 3 others like this.