1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This year's offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m loving all the imaginary ball movement and “heart”

yeah, the Rockets lose a lot, but as long as the ball movement and heart is there, every game is a win

so glad we no longer have to watch Harden ISO his way to a win...instead we can watch Wall and Dipo ISO their way to an L, but at least they’ll have heart while losing

2. OpportunityCost

There have been small flurries of flare screens for Gordon, curl screens for Dipo, and cuts to the bucket for easy layups with Cousins at the FT line making the pass to the cutting player to the basket, and other nice set plays, HOWEVER, they don't stick with these plays - they will return to ISOs and Silas let's Wall and Dipo ball-hog, is it b/c he's a 1st year coach and doesn't want to ruffle established players feathers? Not sure, but it is encouraging that I have seen rays of hope shining through the dark, cold clouds of the ISO-madness from last year, with this year's off-the-ball screens, b/c I never saw this with last year's team. It was just a whole lot of hard to watch Harden-ISO. So glad he's gone.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro please LOl, we are like 25th in offensive effciency, I dont want to hear crap about these screens right now. When it actually produces something we can talk. And I find your last sentence to be quite comical...loooool, very much so.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’re also 28th in passes per game and bottom 5 in assists per game...b-b-but they run a flare screen or a curl play once or twice a game :rolleyes:

5. riko

riko Member

Wall is a ball hog . Dipo is a ball hog ... what ball movement? It’s three after three

D-rock and luckyman76 like this.
  6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Wall is dribbling half the shot clock out before he makes a move. Makes the offense stagnant. I’m sure Silas has mentioned it because he’s always talking about playing faster and moving the ball. Wall comes across as a know it all whose probably not that coachable.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There I FIFY

D-rock likes this.
  8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

painful

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

The 20 point blowouts are especially inspirational and aesthetic.

Rocket River and Reeko like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You have to be blind man.

Silas plays the ugliest iso I have ever seen.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

23rd in ppg

26th in FG%

27th in 3 point percentage

24th in free throw percentage

26th in apg

24th in turnovers per game

25th in offensive rating

21st in team TS%

28th in passes made per game

3rd in number of ISO possessions and in isolation frequency...the Nets don’t even average as many ISO possessions as we do

this is the “beautiful, ball movement heavy” offense we have this year

they’re literally trash at all facets of offense...bottom 10 in every category while having 1 of the easiest schedules in the league

vator, fckbandwagons, riko and 6 others like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The offensive sets and movement
    Don't mean a damn thing if mfers cannot hit open shots.
    Period
    Harden missed out on about 8 asst a game because mfers could not hit open mfin' shots
    Wall loses 3-4 asst a game.....missed wide open shots

Wall and Ego's assists are generally by necessity or desperation.
    The "Oh I got to the middle but I am bottled up let me throw it to someone, anyone" variety

They are both shoot first guys.

Rocket River.

vator, D-rock, Mr. Space City and 2 others like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

And they want to be here

Rocket River

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  14. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

They bought in.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

Update: Currently 3rd in pace, 26th out of 30 in offensive rating, and 23rd in points per game. If anybody wants to do a deeper dive into the stats be my guest, but I don’t feel like being depressed. I saw something along the lines that we attempt the 2nd most 3 pointers in the NBA, but we’re only like 25th in 3 point percentage and stopped reading.

Golden State is 20th in offensive rating too by the way. The team that after the Spurs, was the most slobbered on team in regards to passing and sharing the basketball. Ball movement without star players and giving incapable players more offensive responsibilities apparently doesn’t lead to good results.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

just looked it up...3rd in 3 point attempts, and a pathetic 28th in percentage

bottom 5 in field goal percentage, 3 point percentage, and free throw percentage

D-rock and vator like this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yep. Same old story, this team just can't shoot. On top of that, they have gone back to ISO, and they appear to be going back to small ball. WTF was the point in getting a new coach if we are going to run the old system with inferior players? I loved where this team was headed when Wood was healthy, it was refreshing, but now? I don't know what in the hell they are even doing anymore. Having said that, I do still believe in Stone and Silas, but after the last few games I am starting to get a little more worried about Silas despite the legitimate injury concerns.

D-rock likes this.
  18. riko

riko Member

But all that imaginary motion offense and ball movement. Now it’s back to small ball with a inferior roster and coach . You can’t make this stuff up

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It’s professional sports in HTOWN these days. These cats are in between competing and tanking. They should embrace the tank and blow up the roster. They are fooling themselves and wasting time with these washed and often injured players. Don’t even get me started on the Texans.

riko likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You are right. When wood was here there was more ball movement. Now it's one legged wall or Bricko channeling their inner Harden.

Hank McDowell likes this.