1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All the Yao doubters please chime in.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yipengzhao, May 2, 2004.

1. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

There's been a lot of acrimony on the BBS lately, and I guess that's to be expected. With the new rumors we've been getting it looks like there's a good chance of Francis being gone next season.

Several have said that either

A) with Francis gone they will love the Rockets less.

B) Yao is not someone to built around and reshaping the roster for him will lead to the Rockets doom.

I propose to making a comprehensive list of people with the above (valid) viewpoints. I want to do this because nothing tees me off more than someone going on diatribes against something, and then later on when that thing in question turns out good, goes about face and claim to have been a supporter all along.

So if you agree with A or B, then put it out there. And then:

1) If next year the Rockets take a step back, you can whine and complain and say I told you so all you want.

2) If next year Yao emerges to be a franchise player, then I do NOT want to hear you say you were behind him all along.

Juugie, Summer Song Giver, Bruce, Amed (by the way, don't hate, congratulate). You've made yourselves clear.

Others older posters, IROC it, Roc Paint. You guys feel this way too no? I could be wrong.

Anyway, if you don't feel like we should be building around Yao, chime in. And this time next year I'll be telling you I told you so. Or maybe you'll be telling me that. Who knows.

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

first post!!!

just kidding.

First off I let me reiterate that i am a rockets fan because of yao. BUT if yao was to leave, i'd still be a fan BECAUSE of Steve Francis. IF we were to trade him away, i'd want nothing less than a T-Mac or Brand BUT if that wasn't to happen, the rockets better get a big name PF like Rasheed Wallace who i reallly really really really reallly really realy reallllllyreally like.

Yao is still not yet the "franchise player" yet, and i think all you yao only fans or whatever should acknowledge it. The thing that pisses me off is stupid ass posts from SUmmer giver or juggie or amed say and post idiotic polls/ threads about Yao being a p***y and a bust and whatever.

Before, i didn't want anyone to leave the rockets, but right now im fine with trading mobes or cato or taylor or JJ, as long as we get solid, servicable plyaers in return.

---------------------------End Post--------------------------------------------

3. Summer Song Giver

chiming in but you already knew that ;)

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There is no doubt that I will be very upset if and when Steve is traded from this team. I think with Francis you have the "true" team leader, and that is something Yao Ming has yet proved he can handel. I like Yao, but I just don't see the hunger that comes with being a leader. Getting rid of Francis and his leadership will be a huge mistake by the Rockets.

5. kbourda

kbourda Member

Well my take is this. I feel Steve more than vidicated himself in the playoffs. I seriously believe it would be a huge mistake in letting Steve go. I understand what the Rockets are trying to accomplish with Yao, really I do. But seriously, Yao is soft serve. You cannot run an offense around a non agressive pivot man. He shoots more fadeaway jumpers in the low block than Steve and Cat does in the whole season. He gets no calls because of this. He doesn't like contact and is almost non exsistent on "D". He's a liability at this point. I'm just looking at the game from my perspective. I say you give them all a chance to come back as a team. I mean what's the hurry. If you can say the Rockets are a championship team NEXT YEAR with the subtraction of Steve, then yes trade him. But since we are talking reality I highly doubt it. You NEVER trade a young talented player unless a championship is the cost of it.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have been a Rockets fan for almost twenty years. That being said if Steve is sent out of town this offseason I might start to look elsewhere for my bball. Look I hope that this doesn't paint me as a racist, because nothing could be further from the truth. We are well on our way to becoming the Shanghai Rockets. The uniforms, the endorsements, the uniforms again, we have a team in Houston that is focused on the Chinese market. I know that this doesn't have anything to do with the question but here is where I bring it all together. Steve represents to me the Rockets from Rudy's days. Couple this with what I see as a mistake of gargantuan proportions (because Steve's play in the playoffs screams winner), if Steve is dealt and my support of the team could end.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What will people say if a Yao led team falters? I'd like to see that crow eating thread.

8. yipengzhao

That's the point of this thread. If that happens, then everyone that posts in this thread saying "trading steve and building around yao is a big mistake" can make fun of everyone else. Fair enough?

9. Oski2005

No, because that means people care more about individual players than the team. Put me in the "Wants the TEAM to succeed group."

10. yipengzhao

I think the veteran leadership can come from other places, such as from Jimmy Jackson. In the playoffs, JJ has been vocal, directing plays on the floor and telling people use their heads when they make dumb mistakes. Granted Francis is the emotional leader of the team, but you never know who might rise up to the occasion to fill that role. Also a leader doesn't have to be emotional, it's good to have a spark like the Spurs in Tony Parker, but Duncan leads with his play. Hopefully Yao can become 80% the polished player Duncan is and lead the Rockets similarly.

Baby steps. You have to move forward or you'll be left behind, that's the mantra of today's NBA. I can't think of any team that went from losing in the first round to winning the championship the next year. You have to win a series first, then maybe two, then you're a contender. If by trading Francis we can move forward, then you have to do it.

11. Oski2005

How do you move forward by trading Francis for a draft pick or 2 small forwards?

EDIT

Now that i think of it, I don't if somebody mentioned it allready, how would we trade francis for the #4 pick? Picks don't have any monetary value right? And if you wait til he's signed, he still makes waaaaaay less than francis.

#11 Oski2005, May 2, 2004
    Last edited: May 2, 2004
  12. yipengzhao

oh i definitely am not a big fan of the Jalen Rose + MoPete or the Hornet's pick trade. but i'm sure there'll be better deals later on. and anyway that's not the point of this thread.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was against Houston trading for Francis, I was against the Rockets giving him a max contract, and I am 100% in favor of trading him this offseason. However, I do not think Ming is ready to be the "man" for the Rockets. His play will be greatly improved by a PG whose passes are accurate and well-timed and who has a "consistent" outside shot. He will also be helped by a "physical" PF with a consistent ten foot jumper. Francis is a "human high light reel," but will NEVER be the PG this team needs. Ming has the potential to be a force in the league, but he needs much more work. With Francis, what you see is what you get. He would be much better in a situation where he can better use his one-on-one skills.

14. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

So in other words you're creating a bragging rights thread?

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree.

16. yipengzhao

haha, uprising... et tu brute? :p

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Poor passer, poor at defense, cant play without the ball, deliberately ignores key players, poor team player, high volume shooter
    .......A Team Leader.....Not realy but a great one on one player and big on showmanship and an Allstar.

18. yipengzhao

Yetti... you find it annoying when people keep talking crap about Yao right? While I kind of agree with you you're doing the same thing. Don't just cut and paste for every post okay?

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Thank you, it's like a broken record sometimes with this guy.

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

yipengzhao, I was a big fan of Yao, but I feel I become more and more a Yao doubter, not necessarily a Yao hater.

I still insist Steve Francis' game doesn't fit with Yao's and I am not against trading him.

But if Rox want to totally rebuild around Yao, trade Steve Franics just for couple role players and doesn't bring in some legit stars, yes, I will say Rox definitely sucks and goes to lottery again same time next year.

So count me in the doubters list and I'd like to eat crow if Yao surprises me.