1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

I know you can’t be choosy when asking for superstars, but I really hope the Rockets next superstar is a mature adult.

Corrosion and harold bingo like this.
  2. csc177

csc177 Member

Like another lefty would say, his d league team “just wasn’t good enough” to win

...he not there to pass he’s there to play defense and score the ball and knock off the rust.

bring him up now

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I’ve seen some say “Harden-like.” Truthfully he’s more athletic than Harden. He’s quicker with better handles at that age and can get above the rim much better than Harden. I have no hope that he will ever be as strong offensively, but he’s certainly talented. His shot is smooth and he’s developed a step back already. He just seems like the biggest head case of all our attempted recoveries. At least he hasn’t had much success in the league unlike Ty Lawson/Carmelo. Closer to Royce White but much more athletic and he’s apparently willing to fly.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Harden's main physical asset was his strength. KPJ doesn't have that and doesn't seem to have a frame that could accommodate that. So it's a good thing that he's more athletic.

5. bobloblaw

I agree with you. Harden had to develop a game that worked around his lack of athleticism compared to others at the top, which I think made him a more skilled player. I don’t see many similarities besides their left handedness.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

True. Harden is one of the strongest guards in league history. He could create seperation with just his shoulders.

I expect Porter to fill out more as he's only 20 so he's definitely going to gain more muscle mass in the next few years. He's probably never going to have Harden's strength but hopefully his quickness compensates.

raining threes likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just like last season.

Not a fan of Vipers coach.

He is no Nurse that's for sure. Heck he's not even Brase.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The way they shift weight when they are sizing down defenders with handles does look rather similar. He also has really good footwork with his off the dribble jump shots.

bobloblaw likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, the strength comparison will never be fair. Harden is probably pound for pound the strongest shooting guard in the history of the league. I think Porter has a chance to be a better shooter though.

10. bobloblaw

All I’m saying is that Harden didn’t develop moves like this until he was 25:

harold bingo likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True but Harden basically invented the move and I'm sure Porter has been practicing it since he was 15 after watching Harden do it.

13. bobloblaw

Harden may have invented it but Porter arguably does it better. Like watching Tony Hawk in X-Games at the turn of the century.

14. Mr. Space City

????

Harden at 22

harold bingo likes this.
  15. bobloblaw

That has nothing to do with my point. Of course I’m exaggerating, but I said from the beginning Porter will never be on Harden’s level. He is more athletic than Harden ever was though.

Oh ok you updated it. Tell me which one is smoother?

16. Mr. Space City

it looks the same tbh.

D-rock likes this.
  17. bobloblaw

They’re not even the same move. Porter does the double step back that Harden learned later in his career. Look at how far each shifts from where his left foot is planted.

18. Mr. Space City

There is no "double step back". Porter plants and steps back off the dribble.. Just like Harden did. Just like everybody else now does in the NBA.

19. bobloblaw

It doesn’t matter what you call it. Look at the steps after they each plant their left foot. Harden does a traditional step back. Porter does the step back which involves him essentially taking three steps with a gather that Harden developed later and everyone wanted to call a travel. Are you being willfully obtuse?

Edit: see this video

#179 bobloblaw, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  20. Mr. Space City

PLANT

[​IMG]

PLANT

[​IMG]

GATHER

[​IMG]

GATHER

[​IMG]